Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Love it!

Further to my last post, the family's CV survival plan has hit the dust on the first day!

Elder Son and DiL seem to have left it too late to protect the vulnerable ones by taking the middle child out of school - he is coughing! They are now self-isolating, for a fortnight in the first instance, and extending it if other family members get it (however innocuous it is).

Younger Son telephoned this evening. I could hear DiL coughing in the background, so they are self-isolating too. 

Mr meg and I are well so far. 

Best wishes for  remaining healthy to everyone here, plus family and friends

9 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Morrisons have joined forces with Amazon to help deliver shopping to people like you and your husband, perhaps that would help?

Thank you for that information, but we are OK for most things at the moment as I always keep a well stocked larder. Hopefully,  by the time we need topping up Sainsbury's will have sorted out the priority online ordering for the vulnerable groups.

On 18/03/2020 at 20:36, lunababymoonchild said:

I really think that we should start doing this

347FFBE7-3559-46B0-8716-BE0C90A675DF.jpeg
courtesy of Reading Addicts

Love this. 

We are still working away but it is a little bit disconcerting. Our front door is locked. 

Hope everyone is OK. 

Looks like a polite way to greet people,  consider me curtseying to all BGO ers, may you all get through this difficult time unscathed.😊

Yep virtual curtseys and bows, personally I've always hated handshakes anyway!  I quite like the Namaste greeting that Prince Charles used as well.

Now that we are confined to quarters I am glad that I have a large amount of books to read.  I am also glad that Amazon are still delivering.

Good health to everybody

And a big hand for Royal Mail too, who must have lots of extra work and are still delivering.

Thinking about Apple whenever I go shopping. 

I remember her past posts about the way some customers treat supermarket staff, and hearing various reports of abuse that many of them are getting in the current situation. I wonder if she is still working in retail, and on the receiving end of such behaviour?

Other than that, I'm not doing anything very much at the moment. I was taking a daily walk, and was getting a bit done in the garden, but the cold blast of the last two days has put a stop to both of those.

It's difficult to summon up enough enthusiasm for doing exercise indoors, or at least to do it with sufficient enthusiasm and energy to do any good. Still, I suppose even that small amount of movement is better than sitting in a chair all day.

Yes it's got much colder, and we just had a bit of sleet as well, although it's sunny again now, so much for the start of BST!

2 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Thinking about Apple whenever I go shopping. 

I remember her past posts about the way some customers treat supermarket staff, and hearing various reports of abuse that many of them are getting in the current situation. I wonder if she is still working in retail, and on the receiving end of such behaviour?

Other than that, I'm not doing anything very much at the moment. I was taking a daily walk, and was getting a bit done in the garden, but the cold blast of the last two days has put a stop to both of those.

It's difficult to summon up enough enthusiasm for doing exercise indoors, or at least to do it with sufficient enthusiasm and energy to do any good. Still, I suppose even that small amount of movement is better than sitting in a chair all day.

Apple is still in retail but only on contract work - i.e. no overtime - and the latest is that if she gets verbal abuse from a customer she is allowed to talk back and it's the customer who gets thrown out. 

My father insists on his daily constitutional and I accompany him, despite the cold. As you say something is better than nothing. He says that he also does some exercise in his chair, fortunately upstairs. It hasn't improved his mood, he's a grumpy old man. He has, however, accepted that me and my brother go out to do the grocery shopping - my brother insists on getting to the supermarket before 7am and there is no way my father can get up and out at that time.  My father gets a dvd in the afternoon (I'm the one working the dvd player) and a possible one in the evening depending on my brother's activity. My brother is working from home and is still stationary biking every second night. I have plenty to read, plenty to crochet, plenty to watch on TV and weathering my father's petulant behaviour - he wants the police to try and force him to stay in the house *sigh*. I'm also avoiding the BBC's rather hysterical, imho, reporting of the current situation. 

Glad to hear that Meg and Luna are both managing to weather the virus storm, you both sound that you are coping and I certainly understand your problems with your father Luna.  I get to the backdoor to let the dog out or a trip to the driveway with recycling or garbage chores but haven’t done any walking outside for a while.  It has been a bit chilly but today the weatherman is predicting 19 C so a bit of warmer weather.  I do chair exercises trying to get my knees feeling a bit less painful, they aren’t too bad just a bit achy at times.  Thank goodness for books and Facebook.  Dave goes to the store on his motorized scooter, the controls are on the handlebars and he has room for a box on the front.  We have our big grocery shopping delivered.  It’s a depressing time and hopefully we’ll all get through it safely.  Wishing all BGO’ers all the best, stay safe.😊 

I'm very lucky in that I live in the middle of the vines in rural France so there's plenty of scope for going out though we are supposed to only leave the premises for exercise  for one hour a day and not more than 1 km from home and carry a signed piece of paper with our names and address, darte and time on it. Fortunately there is a wood next door where no one ever goes so I can nip in there for an extra walk if I'm restless!

Behaviour in the supermarkets here is pretty impeccable but that could be because we're out of town.

I belong to several expat groups on Facebook and all I can say about quite a large proportion of some of the partiicpants is that it's time Facebook added a "sanctimonious" emojo to Like, Live, Wow etc.

Do you work in a winery Viccie?  It’s good that you have an exclusive wood next door, so handy to escape into an area where you can enjoy the forest without  it being busy with others.  Sounds as though the district is well organized where you have to have your particulars noted on paper.  Hope all goes well where you are and that we can all at some point defeat this horrible virus.

I'm a tour guide (not that there's going to be much of that this year!) mainly for one of the big river boat companies though I'm strictly very part time, usually with one or two shifts a week during the summer. When I take tours round the local town we finish with a visit to one of the Sauternes chateaux and a tasting. Our house was a winemaker's house at one time and still has the old winery, minus tanks etc, at the back. It's no mansion though, basically a cottage, its vineyard which has long since been sold was ony ever just a few acres.

Edited by Viccie

18 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I just signed up for a free trial of audible. My free book is Stephen Fry reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes. This is making me deliriously happy. 

Audible is addictive! You should try Timothy  West reading Trollope. Wonderful.

Sorry to hear Meg that your family had some trouble with the wretched virus, hopefully it will go away in the near future.  It is a depressing time but there are some areas opening up cautiously herem.  I am hoping that the US/Canada border stays closed until the number of infections drop drastically in the States.  Mr. Trump  seems to have many disagreements with the medical experts but  hope that sanity prevails.

We here in Ontario have had quite cool weather and up until last week there was frost on the roofs in the morning.  I’ve planted pansies in the barrel at the front door and they seem to be doing quite well, was a bit concerned about the cool temps but they seem quite hardy.

Wishing all BGOers well, hope your family is doing o.k. Meg.

Glad you're Ok.  We've had some chilly nights here too, but meant to be the hottest day of the year so far today, in the South of England anyway.

Hope everyone is doing OK.

Thanks for your concern, Momac.

My DiL is now back at work, but still not 100% - she gets exhausted very quickly. Pretty clearly Covid19, although never tested. It also seems that middle child had it - he started coughing before his mother came down with it. He was eventually diagnosed with post-viral pneumonia, which is bacterial, apparently, and cleared  up with antibiotics. With there being no other suspects, the virus his pneumonia was post is assumed to be Covid 19.

Younger son and wife have both had lingering coughs - but we don't know what the cause is.  We do have some good news from that branch of the family, DiL is now expecting a baby in the autumn. It has been a long and traumatic wait, and the timing is atrocious, as Younger Son is furloughed and, being in the tourist industry, may not have a job to go back to.

Mr meg and I are plodding along. We are OK, seeing nobody and going nowhere, other than a weekly shop. I have given up walking to expend what little energy I have on the garden. It's not doing my back any good! Mr meg has helped with the heavier jobs, but generally keeps himself occupied  pottering about with bits of woodwork in the garage.

He is being very good with the alking. Now goes out along the cliffs twice a day.

The cold weather has left us, for the time being and the nights are mild enough for me to plant my outdoor tomatoes - but it is now too hot for me to be outside by about 11am. 

Can't remember when it last rained, and none in the forecast - at least, none of any significance, there might be a light shower or two tomorrow.

I hope you and Mr Mac are keeping well, and not rubbing each other up the wrong way! 

Glad to hear that you and Mr. Meg are doing o.k. And also your family.  Good news about new baby on the way although the job situation can be worrying.

I had a laugh about your last sentence Meg.  From being a man of few words hubby has found his voice and is exercising it frequently - he can complain as well as the  next person and we’ve had some loud exchanges.😏

Weather has picked up and Dave has all the tomato plants planted.  Looking forward to temps in the 20’s this weekend.  Bought a honeysuckle  to plant by the back fence replacing one that died off a couple of years ago. 

Stay well Meg, enjoy your garden.  Hopefully you’ll be able to get out more in a couple of months when the virus goes away.

It's good to get updates from both of Meg and Momac. We've had rain recently - good for a pluviophile like me, the wall to wall sunshine was getting to me - so I don't need to water my pots (how is that for lazy?). My brother is working from home except for today when he went out to work and me and my father are stuck in together. We both had a bad night last night so not very happy all day but we are fine for the most part. We go out for a walk most days and if I can get my father in front of a DVD he's happy (and quiet) so that I can get some crochet done. I'm making a blanket just now. I lost my concentration at the beginning of lockdown and was unable to read for a while but luckily got it back so I can now read but don't seem to be able to concentrate on non-fiction. Have taken up doing jigsaws which I do on my tablet and it drains the battery terribly but I love it and we do not have the space for a physical jigsaw. My father has the same app for his tablet and that keeps him quiet for a while too. We are running out of DVDs! Weather was very hot yesterday but not so much today, so grateful for that.