Jump to content
Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Recommended Posts

Hope everyone enjoyed the Christmas season and had a great New Year's Eve - back to 'aild clathes and porridge' now.

 

I guess at the beginning of a new year, also a new decade, there might be the tendency to feel a bit nostalgic for times gone by. I’m reading a book set in 1940’s Liverpool, England just after WWII and the landlady of a pub near the docks is trying to get the customers to go home as she wants to listen to Valentine Dyall in the BBC program “The Man In Black on the wireless. Gosh, did that ever take me back, Mum and I used to listen to that each week, the program was popular and must have been on the radio for quite a while. Felt a bit of a tug at my heart, a bit of my childhood.  The name of the program was Appointment with Fear.  Most of you are probably a bit too young maybe to remember the program but Mum and I enjoyed  our little dose of fear each week. 💀

 
 
 
 
Edited by momac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a long time since I have appeared on BGO, and then only in fits and bursts, but I felt I should just come on now to let any of you who may have still been in contact with CherryPie either on BGO, or more likely through Facebook, that my darling girl suddenly and devastatingly passed away on Friday 17 January.  To be taken from us at just 58 hardly seems fair but then life isn't always.

So, just in case anyone from when we both appeared on here almost daily is still in contact, obviously there will be no further responses or comments.  All I can ask is that anyone who may feel so inclined take a moment to say a prayer for her lovely, kind spirit.

 

Thanks and God Bless

 

RG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please accept my heartfelt condolences, Ragamuffin, I am absolutely shocked to read the news of Cherry Pie's way too soon passing.  What an agonizing happening for you and your family.  She was an enthusiastic person and I missed both of you so much when you were no longer on the forum.  I realize that she had health problems but on Facebook she was always wonderfully enthusiastic about her church life and so excited being a grandmother.  I liked the way she was so excited about tennis when her favourite Andy Murray was playing and I always think of her when I watch tennis.  

 

It must be heart rending for you and the family and my prayers are with you and also loving thoughts.  It is so sad and I hope that you find the comfort and strength you need from friends and family.  God bless you. Momac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ragamuffin Gunner said:

It's been a long time since I have appeared on BGO, and then only in fits and bursts, but I felt I should just come on now to let any of you who may have still been in contact with CherryPie either on BGO, or more likely through Facebook, that my darling girl suddenly and devastatingly passed away on Friday 17 January.  To be taken from us at just 58 hardly seems fair but then life isn't always.

So, just in case anyone from when we both appeared on here almost daily is still in contact, obviously there will be no further responses or comments.  All I can ask is that anyone who may feel so inclined take a moment to say a prayer for her lovely, kind spirit.

 

Thanks and God Bless

 

RG


 

Oh, I am so very sorry for your loss.  My heartfelt condolences

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, this is such a shock and sorrow to all of us who remember CP, and who enjoyed the many enthusiastic and valuable contributions to BGO from the two of you.

 Praying that you and the family will find comfort and strength in the coming days, and sending you condolences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for coming on here and telling us.  We were friends on FB and as everyone else said, she just seemed so vivacious that it's hard to believe that she is gone.  I am so very sorry for your loss.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm not on BGO so much any more but I do remember the days when we all talked most days and she was always such a cheerful, positive presence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello to all - just wondering how people are coping with this scary virus.  Our son, daughter in law and grandson will be flying back home to Yellowknife tomorrow and they will be required to self isolate for 14 days as they were on vacation in the States for a week. It is Spring Break here for the schools and it has been extended to 3 weeks. All sorts of leagues and spectators events have been cancelled and people are being warned to stay out of crowds.  A humorous situation has been happening at the grocery stores, people are stockpiling toilet paper for reasons known only to them as the illness involves the respiratory system not the digestive system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, momac said:

Hello to all - just wondering how people are coping with this scary virus.  Our son, daughter in law and grandson will be flying back home to Yellowknife tomorrow and they will be required to self isolate for 14 days as they were on vacation in the States for a week. It is Spring Break here for the schools and it has been extended to 3 weeks. All sorts of leagues and spectators events have been cancelled and people are being warned to stay out of crowds.  A humorous situation has been happening at the grocery stores, people are stockpiling toilet paper for reasons known only to them as the illness involves the respiratory system not the digestive system.


Good to see you Momac, I hope all is well with you.

 

People are panic buying toilet paper here too. Our theory is it's because it's cheaper than tissues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here, toilet paper and dried pasta, and tinned stuff such as baked beans.  Bizarre, and so selfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in France so all non-essential shops were closed for the duration from midnight. I'll admit to thinking it was probably going to happen and rushing out yesterday afternoon to buy pool chemicals - what a first world consideration! No-one seems to be too bothered about loo paper but there were people buying eight baguettes at the boulangerie this morning. Can't think why, they'll be as hard as rcks by tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the garden centre and got some compost, if I have to wfh I'll need garden breaks!  Also got some plants for hanging baskets, nature at least seems undaunted by all this.

 

I agree about the panic buying, saw people with loads of bottled water, so much for all the campaigns to cut back on plastic use.  They've obviously never heard of tap water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like this will be everyone's last day in the office for goodness knows how long as we all start working from home. 

 

Keep safe everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been told to work from home for the next week or so.  I suspect it will be for longer than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a long telephone conversation yesterday evening with Elder Son (the one who lives about 3/4 miles from us) on CV related behaviour. 
Two of their children are disabled, the 18yr old having respiratory difficulties. They are also concerned about us as we are both over 70 and both had spells in hospital with heart problems last year. He and DiL have conferred and come to certain conclusions as to how we can best support each other.

 

The results of their deliberations are:

To take their middle child out of school to reduce the risk of him bringing any bugs home to infect the more vulnerable ones, for DiL to take unpaid leave from work for the same reason (she is a bank teller, so lots of personal contact, and handling grubby cash etc). Elder Son has already been working from home for a week.

 

For us, as far as possible, to immediately self isolate (not that difficult, as all our social groups are now closed until whenever) and maintain a strict hygiene routine around any necessary contact with others. That would make it possible for socialising to take place between the two households at either house, or outings to the park and the cliffs.

 

He has offered to shop for us, but as he is already buying for what is a household of 4.5 adults that is likely to cause ‘bulk buying’ problems in the supermarket. The newly announced shopping arrangements for vulnerable groups will mean we should be able to shop for ourselves, especially if the promised priority access to online shopping comes into being before yesterday’s purchases are all used up.

 

We have not heard from Younger Son for over a week, he lives and works in London, and his job is likely to be imperilled by the international travel restrictions. DiL was already working for from home part of the time, and will no doubt increase that. I am going to miss seeing our 3yr old grandson - they were due to visit in May, I was just waiting for a specific w/e to be finalised. No chance now 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm stuck with a very grumpy 85 year old who refuses to self-isolate and buys whatever he wants from the supermarket.  He did phone my uncle, who has asthma, and seems to be perfectly well.

 

I'm glad that I have so many books so that if I do get isolated I'll still have something to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Had a long telephone conversation yesterday evening with Elder Son (the one who lives about 3/4 miles from us) on CV related behaviour. 
Two of their children are disabled, the 18yr old having respiratory difficulties. They are also concerned about us as we are both over 70 and both had spells in hospital with heart problems last year. He and DiL have conferred and come to certain conclusions as to how we can best support each other.

 

The results of their deliberations are:

To take their middle child out of school to reduce the risk of him bringing any bugs home to infect the more vulnerable ones, for DiL to take unpaid leave from work for the same reason (she is a bank teller, so lots of personal contact, and handling grubby cash etc). Elder Son has already been working from home for a week.

 

For us, as far as possible, to immediately self isolate (not that difficult, as all our social groups are now closed until whenever) and maintain a strict hygiene routine around any necessary contact with others. That would make it possible for socialising to take place between the two households at either house, or outings to the park and the cliffs.

 

He has offered to shop for us, but as he is already buying for what is a household of 4.5 adults that is likely to cause ‘bulk buying’ problems in the supermarket. The newly announced shopping arrangements for vulnerable groups will mean we should be able to shop for ourselves, especially if the promised priority access to online shopping comes into being before yesterday’s purchases are all used up.

 

We have not heard from Younger Son for over a week, he lives and works in London, and his job is likely to be imperilled by the international travel restrictions. DiL was already working for from home part of the time, and will no doubt increase that. I am going to miss seeing our 3yr old grandson - they were due to visit in May, I was just waiting for a specific w/e to be finalised. No chance now 😢

 

Morrisons have joined forces with Amazon to help deliver shopping to people like you and your husband, perhaps that would help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...