Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Luna, True Grit is an excellent book, more like  Lonesome Dove than anything else.  The John Wayne movie was filmed in California, which doesn't look anything like where the book is set.    The more recent version (with Jeff Bridges) is more approrpiately sited and very true to the book.  I thought it was excellent.

15 minutes ago, Binker said:

Luna, True Grit is an excellent book, more like  Lonesome Dove than anything else.  The John Wayne movie was filmed in California, which doesn't look anything like where the book is set.    The more recent version (with Jeff Bridges) is more approrpiately sited and very true to the book.  I thought it was excellent.

I have not seen the Jeff Bridges version and I'm sure it's good. I think I'll read the book too

On 22/10/2019 at 22:08, Binker said:

As a native Floridian, I have also lived through a hurricane, which are terrifying in a different way.  Hurricanes spread much more misery to more people, but they rarely wipe whole buildings out.  Tornadoes obliterate the building that is directly in their path, but leave untouched a neighbor building.  And they do their damage much more quickly.  I go to cardiac rehab 15 minutes from my house.  Today, it took an hour each way and my return navigation took me through one of the worst-affected streets (because it was one of the few "through" streets).  I felt so sorry for the people who lived there.  After seeing that, I am even more amazed that no one was hurt or badly injured.  My favorite grocery store was also blown to smithereens (and while this seems self-centered, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I always do my Thanksgiving shopping there!) and I know that the employees and any stray customers sheltered in the walk-in coolers.  The walk-in coolers appeared to be the shelter of choice at most restaurants and to have done a good job.

One of my tour guests yesterday comes from Dallas  and he shopped in that street too. He was dexcribing how one side of the street was untouched, the other flattened. I hadn't realised what a hnarrow path of havoc a tornado creats.

On 04/11/2019 at 10:42, Viccie said:

One of my tour guests yesterday comes from Dallas  and he shopped in that street too. He was dexcribing how one side of the street was untouched, the other flattened. I hadn't realised what a hnarrow path of havoc a tornado creats.

Yes, it has been just shocking to see the damage.   The City has does a great job of getting things as back to normal as they can.  There were extremely inconvenient road closures, but that enabled them to get their services in and out without a problem (and gawkers, which I find repugnant).  I bought my house because of the beautiful trees as did a friend of mine who lives just south of me.  Mine were untouched.  Hers were destroyed.  All very sad.

It has been a while since I dropped in but have been thinking about BGO, just seems as hough we have had lots of arranging for household stuff, arranging for a replacement mattress, much negotiating, getting the flower gardens planted with Spring bulbs (garden folk did that) arranging for changes to the bedroom, buying a snowblower online when we had a surprise fall of snow, and sundry other household matters, but I have been doing some reading.  

I’ve been enjoying Rita Bradshaw who writes romantic historical novels, many of them, and each one I’ve found interesting, lots of drama, lots of insight into the class divisions, some of it pretty horrible. So glad that husbands are not afforded by law the leeway to treat their wives with brutality now although it still goes on today. 

I hope everyone is well and enjoying late Autumn and early winter.

Hello Momac, good to see you.  We have been having hard frost and bright sunshiny days.  My favourite weather in addition to the rain.  Tomorrow we'll be having rain. Getting the house into some sort of order - succeeded in cleaning out the soap tray in the washing machine which isn't as easy as it sounds. Just need to figure out how to clean the rubber ring around the front .  Steam cleaned the handrail and bannister last week, they were so dirty it was shocking.

I'm in a group read with an ex-member of BGO Lizzy Siddal for German lit month, it's very interesting.

Do let Lizzy know that she is still remembered here.

I haven't been around much recently as life got a bit complicated - Mr meg had a heart attack about three weeks ago.

He was rushed into hospital and had a stent fitted to open up the blockage and now feels absolutely fine. Of course, he is not absolutely fine,  but it is taking all my energy to get him to stick to his rehabiltation programme, and to make the necessary adjustments to his diet (I hope Mr mac is now being more co-operative in that department, momac)

It was all a bit of a shock as  Mr meg is quite skinny, with a BMI of 19.6, and is always on the go - we thought it was me who was a candidate for that particular health scare.

Between us, since June, we have clocked up three rides in emergency ambulances, six nights on very busy hospital,  wards three visits to the cardiac catheter lab, a cardio MRI, and two other non-emergency health problems. One way and another this half of the year has been hectic, but not much fun.

Good to hear from you Luna.  The group read sounds interesting.  I haven’t been reading much current literature, tried to read Louise Penny’’s latest book but got bogged down and haven’t managed to pick up the thread of it again.  Have lost my taste for police procedurals for the moment and into the romantic historical boks although some of those can be quite graphic.

Dave is very forgetful now and it’s kind of disturbing, however, not much can be done about it.This year has not been great for us and am sorry to hear that Meg and Mr. Meg have had a rough time as well, wishing you a better year coming up Meg.

Stay well Luna.

Meg, I will tell her. I'm sorry to hear about you and Mr. Meg.

Momac, the book we are group reading is Berlin Alexanderplatz.  Not the easiest book to read but you know that I enjoy struggling with my literature from time to time.

As for health problems, we have had our share but fortunately no ambulances - I well remember what that's like - or hospital stays so we are fine.

sorry to hear of all your problems, I hope Mr Meg is on the mend now.

the weather here seems to be either mild and rainy, or cold and frosty, at the moment we're into cold and frosty (and sunny) but the rain is due back, just in time for the weekend as usual, although it will be milder, in the low tens.

Meg, so sorry to hear of Mr Meg's out-of-the-blue heart attack and I hope the rest of the year leaves you in peace. Will Christmas arrangements still stand, do you have lots to do?

Thinking of you, momac, and hope your reading is solace for you when Mr m is not cooperating with his care. 

Hello Madeleine and Brightphoebus, good to hear from you, hope your weather improves to give you nice winter weather Madeleine.

Dave has some trouble now with forgetfulness and sometimes gets in a snit about things which never bothered him before.  He used to be so quiet and now is quite different.  It gets upsetting and probably  me not being a very patient person it leads to arguments.  If I could just remember that no good comes of arguing -  especially when it is a nonsensical subject.😏

Wishing Mr. Meg a return to good health and also Binker who had some health concerns recently, good wishes to all of us BGOers.

Hello everyone.

I've been checking in every so often (and responding to Luna's reports about dodgy posts [Luna, you're my hero]).

Work has been manic this year.  I'm lucky if I get two nights at home during the week.  But It's all good for my pension (I hope) and I'm reading lots. I'm doing Jack Reacher from start to finish (I know...)

I'm on goodreads if any of you are https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5578579-kevin-dayman

xxx

Hi Tag - good to see you and glad that you are doing o.k.  I was on a Jack Reacher kick a few years ago but moved on to other writers.  I really enjoyed all the earlier books and looked forward to the most recent book in the Autumn.  Now I seem to be lodged in WWll historical/romantic and often quite awful tragedies to do with the blitz.  

Wishing you all the best for the festive season. 

1 hour ago, tagesmann said:

Hello everyone.

I've been checking in every so often (and responding to Luna's reports about dodgy posts [Luna, you're my hero]).

Work has been manic this year.  I'm lucky if I get two nights at home during the week.  But It's all good for my pension (I hope) and I'm reading lots. I'm doing Jack Reacher from start to finish (I know...)

I'm on goodreads if any of you are https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5578579-kevin-dayman

xxx

Ha, ha, thanks Tag.  It's good to see you.

2 hours ago, momac said:

Now I seem to be lodged in WWll historical/romantic and often quite awful tragedies to do with the blitz. 

I love historical fiaction, especiall WWI and WWII. Not so much the romantic aspect...