Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Luna, True Grit is an excellent book, more like  Lonesome Dove than anything else.  The John Wayne movie was filmed in California, which doesn't look anything like where the book is set.    The more recent version (with Jeff Bridges) is more approrpiately sited and very true to the book.  I thought it was excellent.

15 minutes ago, Binker said:

Luna, True Grit is an excellent book, more like  Lonesome Dove than anything else.  The John Wayne movie was filmed in California, which doesn't look anything like where the book is set.    The more recent version (with Jeff Bridges) is more approrpiately sited and very true to the book.  I thought it was excellent.

I have not seen the Jeff Bridges version and I'm sure it's good. I think I'll read the book too

On 22/10/2019 at 22:08, Binker said:

As a native Floridian, I have also lived through a hurricane, which are terrifying in a different way.  Hurricanes spread much more misery to more people, but they rarely wipe whole buildings out.  Tornadoes obliterate the building that is directly in their path, but leave untouched a neighbor building.  And they do their damage much more quickly.  I go to cardiac rehab 15 minutes from my house.  Today, it took an hour each way and my return navigation took me through one of the worst-affected streets (because it was one of the few "through" streets).  I felt so sorry for the people who lived there.  After seeing that, I am even more amazed that no one was hurt or badly injured.  My favorite grocery store was also blown to smithereens (and while this seems self-centered, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I always do my Thanksgiving shopping there!) and I know that the employees and any stray customers sheltered in the walk-in coolers.  The walk-in coolers appeared to be the shelter of choice at most restaurants and to have done a good job.

One of my tour guests yesterday comes from Dallas  and he shopped in that street too. He was dexcribing how one side of the street was untouched, the other flattened. I hadn't realised what a hnarrow path of havoc a tornado creats.

On 04/11/2019 at 10:42, Viccie said:

One of my tour guests yesterday comes from Dallas  and he shopped in that street too. He was dexcribing how one side of the street was untouched, the other flattened. I hadn't realised what a hnarrow path of havoc a tornado creats.

Yes, it has been just shocking to see the damage.   The City has does a great job of getting things as back to normal as they can.  There were extremely inconvenient road closures, but that enabled them to get their services in and out without a problem (and gawkers, which I find repugnant).  I bought my house because of the beautiful trees as did a friend of mine who lives just south of me.  Mine were untouched.  Hers were destroyed.  All very sad.