Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Madeleine, I hope by now you will have lots of lovely ripened tomatoes to sample.  They are so much nicer than store bought ones.

Sadly no, just one so far!  It's going to get cooler now so I can't see the others ripening, and I don't have a greenhouse to put them in to get more warmth.

I'm reading The Borgias just now and have been looking up how to pronounce their names (on Youtube) - normally I just ignore the word but there are too many of them - and my father has just gone up the stairs in disgust!

Lovely cool weather right now, a touch of Autumn.  Just brought in the last of the tomatoes, pretty small.  Won’t be sorry to see the last of the hot weather but could still have some hot days yet.

Luna you must be reading up a storm with all the new books you have acquired.😊

28 minutes ago, momac said:

Lovely cool weather right now, a touch of Autumn.  Just brought in the last of the tomatoes, pretty small.  Won’t be sorry to see the last of the hot weather but could still have some hot days yet.

Luna you must be reading up a storm with all the new books you have acquired.😊

Yes, I am Momac. It's very satisfying.  Currently reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood, her long awaited sequel to The Handmaid's Tale (it's great!).

Just popped in to wish all BGOers a Happy Autumn, hope your weather is crisp and  

Autumn-like.  We had a mini heat wave a couple of days ago, not my favourite kind of weather but it is cooler today.  Hope you have been enjoying your reading Luna. Have been seeing different doctors, all on the same wavelength, had enough for a while so backed off a bit.  Just want to feel better and not be trekking around here and there, popping pills, one made me feel so it has been discarded for now although the doctor disagrees.  Oh well, that’s an argument for another day.

Wishing you all good weather and happy reading.😊

ill so that one has been put aside 

Thanks momac, we had a lovely day on Saturday but downhill since then, rain on and off and generally horrible although not too cold.

It is a bit cold here, real Autumn weather and lots of torrential rain two days ago really damaged the flower beds.

Was reading Louise Penny’s latest book A Better Man, featuring Inspector Gamache of the Quebecois Surete, should be accents in there but don’t know how to access them.  The book started off well and then seemed to stall a bit or maybe sag so have left it for the moment.  It has been on the best seller list so maybe it’s me not the book.

i hope all BGO folk are well and haven’t been subjected to the gale force winds I was reading about?

Far from my personality, but I'm planning to read manga. Watched a good anime called Food wars on Netflix and it opened my interest on reading manga. 😄 

Edited by tagesmann
illegal link

Hello everyone.  I have been absent for about 6 weeks and couldn't log in on my phone (will hope to remedy that soon).  I had an emergency double bypass on August 25 and have been recovering at home since then.  I'm back at work and I have no trouble logging in on my work computer.  So I'm back!  

Good heavens Binker, that sounds like a biggie.  I hope you are feeling so much better now, and not doing too much too soon.  Have noted your posts on Facebook so you must have a strong constitution to make a good recovery.  Stay well and hope the weather is mild enough to enjoy sitting under that marvellous tree with a good book.  All the best. 👍

Thank you, Momac.  This isn't the kind of thing I wanted to discuss on FB, so I realize you may have been surprised.  Now you know why I've been getting so much reading done. 

I feel great.  I thought I felt great before (I went hiking above 10,000 feet and whitewater rafting at elevation and felt fine just a month before), but now I feel extra super special great.  Thanks for your good wishes.

Great weather here for pluviophiles. I am aware that it's not everyone's cup of tea and when flood s are the result I'm sure that it's less than popular.  Good reading weather though!

I don't think it's stopped raining since last  night, definitely not today, still going strong now!:grumble:

We had 2 lines of storms bringing in a cold front last night.  One of them spawned a tornado that ripped a path through "my" area of Dallas.  Tornadoes are very local, so I wasn't affected, but the fire station that was broadcasting the tornado sirens was obliterated, even as the sirens were working.  So were areas of shops (including my favorite independent bookstore and my favorite garden center), homes, and schools in the path of the tornado.   No one was killed and I'm not hearing reports of injuries, which seems almost miraculous to me.  

That must have been terrifying. The worst I've ever been in was what's called a hurricane in France even though I was told by an American visitor that it would only have been counted as a stiff wind in Florida. it was still frightening enough.

As a native Floridian, I have also lived through a hurricane, which are terrifying in a different way.  Hurricanes spread much more misery to more people, but they rarely wipe whole buildings out.  Tornadoes obliterate the building that is directly in their path, but leave untouched a neighbor building.  And they do their damage much more quickly.  I go to cardiac rehab 15 minutes from my house.  Today, it took an hour each way and my return navigation took me through one of the worst-affected streets (because it was one of the few "through" streets).  I felt so sorry for the people who lived there.  After seeing that, I am even more amazed that no one was hurt or badly injured.  My favorite grocery store was also blown to smithereens (and while this seems self-centered, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I always do my Thanksgiving shopping there!) and I know that the employees and any stray customers sheltered in the walk-in coolers.  The walk-in coolers appeared to be the shelter of choice at most restaurants and to have done a good job.

Glad you were safe Binker.

discovered a forum by accident but was unable to join so far as the password requirement was really specific about content.  Also my geography was spotty re answers to the protection from.spam bots.  The forum I’m sure has lots of information about Glasgow and surrounds and I would like to access.  The forum is The Hidden Glasgow Forums.  I wondered if there was anyone from BGO who was on this forum.

39 minutes ago, momac said:

Glad you were safe Binker.

discovered a forum by accident but was unable to join so far as the password requirement was really specific about content.  Also my geography was spotty re answers to the protection from.spam bots.  The forum I’m sure has lots of information about Glasgow and surrounds and I would like to access.  The forum is The Hidden Glasgow Forums.  I wondered if there was anyone from BGO who was on this forum.

I see what you mean, Momac, it was tough getting in. I resorted to using the internet for my geographical questions.  I'm waiting for the confirmation email to set up my membership

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Good for you Luna, will have another go but maybe fail in the questions as my knowledge is somewhat lacking as to specific locations in Glasgow as I left there when I was 9😏.  However will do my best.

16 hours ago, momac said:

Good for you Luna, will have another go but maybe fail in the questions as my knowledge is somewhat lacking as to specific locations in Glasgow as I left there when I was 9😏.  However will do my best.

I was shockingly under-informed myself Momac, hence I resorted to the internet for my answers. Still waiting my confirmation email.

On 26/10/2019 at 16:26, lunababymoonchild said:

I see what you mean, Momac, it was tough getting in. I resorted to using the internet for my geographical questions.  I'm waiting for the confirmation email to set up my membership

Further to this : Momac my confirmation email has not arrived so clearly the site isn't worth bothering about