Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Had a lovely visit from Neil and Denise yesterday, they are here to pick up our car to take it back to Yellowknife, about a 5 day road trip.  They are renting a U-haul trailer to transport the furniture Dave has made for them during their marriage, a china  cabinet, a Deacon’s bench, and the Grandfather clock which Neil really wants. Dave made the case and bought the inner workings.  I wish we lived closer but it’s great to see them twice in the one year.  This road trip coincides with their 25 year anniversary.

Lucked out on Kindle Unlimited today, got a free book by Rhys Bowen, an excellent story teller.  I think I’ve mentioned before that for $9.95 a month I can have 10 ‘free’ books at a time and if a new one comes along I have to give back one I already have which is ok because I have already read it.  The Victory Garden is a WW1 story. So I am enjoying today’s luck.

Am really enjoying The Victory Garden and when the storyline comes to the Harvest Festival I found myself feeling kind of homesick for the UK and it’s a lot of years since we boarded the Empress of France to come to Canada.  No place like home!

I'm glad that you still think of us as home, Momac.  My aunt emigrated to Canada when I was a baby and never looked back.  She came to visit from time to time but made Canada her home.

I'm a little fed up.  I've been feeling nauseous since November and was referred to gastroenterology in February.  Moved to General Surgery, 

I was seen last week (6 months later!) and recommended an endoscopy, which can't be done in 6 weeks or less because they are inundated.  I've been feeling nauseous all week and now just have to rely on the GP practice to help me out. Just as well I can still read!

Currently reading The Handmaid's Tale.  I read The Blind Assassin when it came out and I'm at a loss as to why I have never read any more of her work, she's fabulous!

Bleeding, retching and inconsolable. How can this happen in the Ashes?

I also missed my stop on the train, upset someone (not deliberately)  and forgot to buy bread.

Not even the 13th.

Clavain - tried to find out about the Ashes on the Internet, gave up trying to understand about Test Matches, but  I guess from your post Britain didn’t do too well.

We, in Scotland, don't have a bank holiday this weekend but the weather has gotten hotter.  My father is ill and I'm not great myself.  Leaves my brother, who does have the Monday off, as last man standing.  Again.  The good news is that The Handmaid's Tale is magnificent and I'll be buying The Testaments (companion to THT) when it comes out.

On 24/08/2019 at 16:42, lunababymoonchild said:

England were, at the time Clavain posted, being thrashed. It doesn't look too much better now

With sport you get the highs and lows.Friday was the worst performance I've seen by an England cricket team, you can't get lower.

Then today, surely one of the greatest sporting comebacks of all time. Truly amazing.

Arise Sir Ben Stokes BBC Sports personality of the year. 

We're still dancing 😀

Had a lovely relaxing day sitting in the garden, too hot to do much else!  Back to work tomorrow ugh.  Won't be much fun commuting in this heat.

Edited by Madeleine

I made the best use I could of the hot weather - got three loads of laundry washed and dried. I love the smell of line-dried laundry!

Other than that I remained indoors with the windows and curtains closed on the south, and the door on the north side tied back to let a little air circulate.

Finally ventured out at 8pm to water the beans and pick raspberries.

Hi Madeleine, sorry you have to go back to work - but there is still the weekends to enjoy some more lazy summer days, take heart😊.

Hello Meg, sounds like you are enjoying good laundry weather.  Our English neighbour has a laundry line and pole to hoist the clothes higher to catch the breeze.  We have nowhere to put a line and the one that was here when we bought the house was about two feet from the fence and the clothes were always up against the fence, plus it was quite open to the street before our hedge grew and I didn’t fancy hanging out our more intimate items.

Your garden is providing some nice veg and fruit, do the birds go after the raspberries?

Yep it's lovely to hang the washing out and get that freshly washed smell.

Sadly the weekends are always too short.

My tomatoes are still stubbornly green, except for one which is quite orange so will hopefully be edible, but as  the weather's meant to cool down a bit and it's meant to rain I don't know if it'll be warm enough for the others to ripen.  Last year I had so many I didn't know what to do with them, took most of them into work as you can only eat so many!  But a much slower crop this year.

Strange that we are having such different experiences with tomatoes, considering that we are both in the SE. I am in the midst of a tomato and cucumber glut at the moment. Not that I mind living off cucumber and tomatoes in this heat

I must be further south than you - in fact, looking at the map, we are almost as far south as we could get and still be east of the meridian (by a few metres).  Unless we were right on Beachy Head, of course.

My tomatoes and cucumbers are growing in pots against a white-painted, south-facing wall, so couldn't be in a better position. Other veggies are not doing so well;  the climbing beans were wrecked by the salty winds of a couple of weeks ago, and the courgettes have either had all female flowers or all male flowers at any one time, so next to no fruit.

Gardening is a bit of a lottery at times!

Yes it certainly is a lottery Meg, I think my tomatoes fell behind a bit because it was still chilly at night well into June, and as the weather wasn't very reliable - ie damp and chilly - I think that stalled them too, I don't have a greenhouse which would probably have made a huge difference, well only one of those small upright ones.  Plus we just haven't had enough sun for long enough, a few days here and there and then it cools down again and starts raining (like today) so they didn't have a prolonged hot spell to give them a growth spurt like they did last year.  It's also a different variety to the one I normally get, so perhaps that has something to do with it.  Yours sound like they're in the perfect spot for growing.

I picked another tomato last night and some of the others are slowly beginning to get slightly orange, so maybe they'll have a late spurt!

I found a female flower on one of my courgette plants this morning, and a male flower on one in a different raised bed 😀.

I quickly introduced them to each other, and am hoping that this is the start of a resurgence of flowers of both genders. It has been the worst year for courgettes that I have ever had, and the first since we moved here that i haven't been putting them out at the front gate for passers-by to help themselves.

Enjoyed reading about Madeleine and Meg’s gardening, we used to garden a lot more, now only tomatoes and we are enjoying the second run of them.  Not very big but really good tasting, we have a plateful on the kitchen table and they taste good with just about anything plus supply our tomato loving neighbours, (who eat  tomaaatoes) they’ve never dropped the short ‘a’ as the Canadians do.😊

Edited by momac
Used wrong word, should be ‘never dropped the short “a”

I have a few more tomatoes ripening, might get to eat one tomorrow!

Last year I had so many tomatoes I didn't know what to do with them all, kept bringing them into work.

My father was fairly successful with tomatoes  in the past but he doesn't like them and we ended up begging the neighbours to take them from us!  He's too ill now to contemplate growing them and we no longer have a greenhouse.

It's great weather for pluviophiles today and more is forecast for the weekend.  I have a book coming, a fan heater and - for my father - some macramé cord.  Can't wait to see that!  I also bought some paperlathe* materials for the making of tassels but that will take longer to arrive.  

No longer feel nauseous so that's a bonus (I'm getting some much needed chores done!)

*Paperlathe is a way of making paper moulds for the inner of the body of the tassel.  Usually the moulds are made with wood but with this system you can print out a paper template and roll it up to make the shape of the body of the tassel that you want and then decorate it.  Since it's hidden it doesn't matter that it's paper and it's rolled and glued together so by the time it's dry it's rock hard, it reminded me a bit of Papier Mache tbh.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Sorry your father is probably not feeling up to much gardening, I hope he enjoys working with the macrame.  It used to be all the rage for hobbies when I was a young mother, however I wasn’t too good at it or it never caught my fancy.  A friend used to make fancy plant hangers which looked good.

I really enjoy the chit chat on BGO, it’s like having friends in for tea.  I hope Madeleine has done some tomato tasting by now.  Meg sounds busy with her produce.

Glad  you are feeling a bit better Luna, the tassels sound interesting you and your father are great hobbyists.

I’m doing a bit more reading these days, it was bothering my eyes a bit for a while.  Re-reading some of my Kindle books.  I’ve gone off mysteries and murders for the moment, just trying for the gentler content.

Today I’ve been trying to keep a cheeky squirrel away from the bird feeder without breaking the window when I rap on it. The seed log is in a cage but a skinny squirrel manages to get in.  They are very inventive.

Nice chatting with you Luna.😊

It's good to chat with you too, Momac and I'm glad that you are feeling better in yourself.  

I remember macramé during the seventies too but all you could really make back then was hanging pot holders and my mother would not allow that, for some reason.  Maybe there was more, I was just a child back then.

My father is feeling better today but he chose to get rid of his green house years ago so clearly wasn't up to growing things any more.  It's not surprising, he doesn't like vegetables and everything came at once and I could not eat it all!

I'm excited about my new tassel paperlathe, I haven't done any of that for a long time and my first love has always been paper.

I had my first tomato today in my sandwich for lunch and it was disappointing, didn't seem to have much taste.  Oh well never mind:dunno:. Few more still to ripen so fingers crossed.

I'm also trying to grow some more wallflowers from seed and potted them up today, so I hope the local squirrels don't dig them up!:naughty: