Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Sorry for your problems Meg, hope better soon..

Also just home from hospital, today,another vertigo attack, horrible, all sorts of tests on head, fortunately no nasties uncovered, several docs seem to have their say, diagnosis by committee! Anyway worst thing was the cramps in my legs which had me yelling for someone to massage my legs, if that is what the tennis players get I feel sorry for them.  Weak on walking right now but onward and upward.

Good that you are excused from housework Meg, will be really helpful for you. We'll console each other, hospital food is yucky, they should be sentenced to partake of it themselves for a year, I was fortunate in that I was feeling too sick to eat much of anything. Better days ahead Meg!  Chin up. 😊

A big thank you to all with kind words of encouragement, it really helps.  The chair lift which Dave is using works really well, up and down stairs in a fragment of the time it used to take.  Haven't used it myself, not too keen on the moment of moving machinery.

Meg, have been thinking of you today and hoping that your medications and treatment will have you back fighting fit soon.

I spent some time on the internet finding out what the heck I'm taking, will go next week to the family doctor to see if he agrees with the hospital docs.

hot and humid here, all windows open, summer has come at last I think.  Happy reading to all, enjoy the better weather.

Just popping in briefly to say hello and that I'm hopefully on the mend from attacks of vertigo, on medicine for it.  Not pleasant.  Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.  

We have decided to sell the house and hopefully find a retirement residence which Dave is comfortable with, he really doesn't want to move but better we move while we still can rather than wait until one of us is not available through illness or whatever!  The idea of getting rid of years of accumulated china, furniture, and loads of other stuff we never  seem to get around to disposing of is mind boggling. Maybe there are people you can hire who will assist.

49 minutes ago, momac said:

We have decided to sell the house <- - - >better we move while we still can rather than wait until one of us is not available through illness or whatever! 

Good call, momac.

I don't know how we would have managed if my health problems of the last 18months had happened while we were living in our old house.

53 minutes ago, momac said:

Maybe there are people you can hire who will assist.

There are bound to be people available to do that sort of thing - there are over here.

We were quite short of time, so resorted to some drastic measures, including hiring a skip and letting our sons  just throw most of the contents of the attic into it, but if you can take a bit of time I'm sure you could sell quite a lot of of your excess 'stuff' - although probably not for as much as you think it's worth. 

Getting Dave to agree to the move is the biggest hurdle and you seem to have managed that, even though he is not thrilled with the suggestion.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you, but if you hit any snags, feel free to rant to us, we will be here to 'listen'

Good luck momac, it's a big thing moving but I'm sure you will find something your both happy with. :)

10 hours ago, momac said:

Just popping in briefly to say hello and that I'm hopefully on the mend from attacks of vertigo, on medicine for it.  Not pleasant.  Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.  

We have decided to sell the house and hopefully find a retirement residence which Dave is comfortable with, he really doesn't want to move but better we move while we still can rather than wait until one of us is not available through illness or whatever!  The idea of getting rid of years of accumulated china, furniture, and loads of other stuff we never  seem to get around to disposing of is mind boggling. Maybe there are people you can hire who will assist.

I've been wondering how you are.  I hope that the move goes smoothly and that you are both happy with it.

I am only just recovering from two family celebrations at the end of last week.

My neice got married on Thursday, which meant an eight hour drive, mostly on motorways, the day before (that did include a detour for lunch and a walk round a NT garden). The day following the wedding we travelled down to the New Forest, a journey of similar duration, with another detour, to a different NT property.

The route heading south took us down the M43, ahead of that road being closed for the Silverstone Grand Prix weekend. All the 'no-access' signs were already in place, but we had no idea when they were actually closing the road, which made for a slightly anxious journey. It was a relief to find that we could actually get on to the M40 at the end.

The weekend in the New Forest was a family party to celebrate Mr meg's 70th birthday, and Younger Son's 40th. We had a great time with both sons and families, but it has taken all week to catch up on my sleep, as i am still recovering from the medical intervention four weeks earlier and missed out on my 2 hourafternoon  nap on 4 of the 5 days! 😫

Elder Son et al were very late arriving, as their middle child had been away for a few days on a school trip, didn't get home until the evening and needed to unpack and eat before they set off. It was all a bit hectic.

I think I have caught up now, and we did have a great time - good enough for us to contemplate doing it again, but preferably not back-to-back with other celebrations & long journeys 🙄

Meg, your trip sounds exciting and exhausting.

Momac, there are many people here who will help you with those tasks.  When my mother died and we sold her townhome almost immediately, I hired a friend who does those kinds of things for a living and she held an estate sale and then donated anything my brothers and I didn't want (we didn't want much).  She told me to NOT come to the garage sale because  it would be depressing, so if you go that route, you should probably make yourself scarce, too.

I am about to go on a one-week vacation to Crested Butte, Colorado with my son.   We haven't (so far) had a bad summer, but it's downright cool in the mountains, which I'm sure will feel good.

Hello Meg, you are a bundle of energy to do all you did on your outing, good for you, keeps you young, although maybe a wee bit tired.

Thanks to all for the encouraging response about moving, still very much in the thinking stage and waiting to see what the retirement places offer, lots to think about.  Thanks Binker about the assistance in moving contents, seems as though several people have made use of the service and we probably will too.

Hello Luna, hope all is well at your house.

So much to ponder, will leave it all to another day!

17 minutes ago, momac said:

Hello Meg, you are a bundle of energy to do all you did on your outing,

No, I am not, I wish I were.  

I've had very little energy for the past couple of years, and the five days away were spent mostly sitting down (& Mr meg does all the driving). In spite of which I was exhausted by the end of it.

I'd just like to say I'm so glad to be taking part on the poetry thread.  I'm reading a whole lot more poetry than usual and that's a good thing, I'm enjoying it immensely.

We have survived the heat wave and yes, I'm aware that we did not have weather that was as hot in some places in England, for which I'm eternally grateful.  I hope everybody else survived.

What kind of poetry are you reading Luna?

Meg, I'm glad you enjoyed your outing and sitting down is good, nice to be with family.

9 hours ago, momac said:

What kind of poetry are you reading Luna?

Meg, I'm glad you enjoyed your outing and sitting down is good, nice to be with family.

All sorts, Momac, that's why it's fun

First day back at work after a week away (luckily missed the heatwave although it was very nice where we were ,mid 20s and breezy so quite comfortable), catching up and getting used to being in smelly polluted crowded London again:mad:

My son and I spent last week in Crested Butte, Colorado.  We hiked and saw beautiful mountains and wildflowers.  But the MOST fun was a white water rafting trip that we took.  We have done a lot of whitewater rafting over the years, but this was one of the more technical ones we've been on.  It was very cold (we wore wetsuits under our splash gear and needed them) and it rained the whole time (hailed in the beginning), but our guide was terrific and we had 4 experienced rafters (and one couple in their 70s for whom it was their first trip--eeek) and my son is very strong, so the raft always had power.  

Our guide grew up in Chile and she runs rafting trips out of Pucon, which I have now added as one of my destinations I would like to visit.  It's a long flight, but only one time zone different, so the jet lag is minimal.  Maybe next year (or the one after or the one after that, etc.).

Looked like a lot of fun from the picture on a Facebook!

Change of plans for us, no house move, couple of things to consider, Dave had a nasty fall in a department store last Monday and spent time in the hospital getting abrasions bandaged, he had no memory of the fall, now feeling weak and not able to handle a move plus I still get the odd dizzy spell, brought on by tension, so better we stay put.

Good news was the visit from our Yellowknife family, lovely to see them, wish they lived nearer.

Hope you both feel better soon, moving is very stressful so probably a good idea to stay put.

Thanks Madeleine, Dave has decided not to drive anymore, is worried that maybe his fall in the department store was caused by him fainting.  Our son will fly from Yellowknife to here, which will be nice as it was a short visit a week ago, then drive back and the car can be used by our grandaughter who is busily practising for her driver’s licence. Many changes in a short time period,

Hello to all and hoping you are enjoying the summer weather.  I have been out doing short walks in the morning using my walker to try and get back in better shape.  Having physio on a strained shoulder muscle through bending over using IPad,  try to limit my Facebook visits - also have new IPad where a nice man comes on to find what I'm looking for and Dave asks who I’m talking to.😊

Nice to hear from you  Momac, I'm glad that things are improving a little bit.

Summer hasn't been that great, both here in Scotland and in England.  We have been having torrential rain and thunderstorms and some people have been stuck on trains and others suffered power outages.  I found a new word - pluviophile - which means someone who enjoys rain! Just as well as there has been a lot of it. Still, plenty of time for reading.

Put me down as a pluviophile* - we have had far too little of it here in the SE, this year and far, far too much sun!

And wind, but there's not much point in moaning about the wind here in Meridian Cliffs, as it is almost a constant.

The weekend's rain all but missed us - I had to get the hose out on the veggies on friday afternoon, following what was supposed to be a stormy night. The accompanying wind arrived, of course, and I was out at 7am on Saturday fixing guy ropes to the bean poles to stop them ending up in next-doors garden. 

The salt laden wind has just about done for the bean plants, the leaves are either blown right off, or shrivelled and crispy. The clematis, those that have not been blown off their supports, have also been dessicated by the salty wind, and although it is raining pretty heavily this morning I doubt there will be much chance of recovery this season.

* I may change my stance on this during the winter ;)

We had quite heavy rain on Friday evening but none since, despite it being forecast.  It has been very windy though, especially on Saturday, and I had to try to prop up my tomato plants - they're still only green, no sign of the tomatoes ripening, not enough sun:angry:

Good to hear from you Luna, Madeleine and Meg.  Hope your gardening is successful in spite of the varying climates, Madeleine and Meg.  We have been enjoying our first batch of tomatoes because of the hot weather, home grown tastes so good.

As to reading, I have had trouble settling down to read, depression and anxiety aren’t Too far away unfortunately luckily not all the time.  Have been going for short walks in the morning around 7 am when it’s cool and then I sit at the front door and enjoy the scent of the petunias in the front garden.

I wanted something chatty and uninvolved so I’m reading a Maeve Binchy book and enjoying it. I spend a lot of time alone as Dave sleeps so much and has had a bit of a personality change, complains a lot. He says he should be able to do what he wants at his age, unfortunately his physical condition is not great.  So we carry on and do the best we can, some days good others not as well.  Sorry about this being a downer, will try to be more cheery next time. 🙁

Was just thinking about about pluviophile, did I get that right.  Luna, one of my favourite things during autumn and winter is the sound of rain on the awning over the living room window.  So I guess I’m a rain lover too in certain settings.