Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Had a brilliant weekend. Fun in the sun with both sons and their families. Fun in the park, fun in the garden, fun at the seaside, fun at church. Couldn't have been better!

Well, it was rather too hot for me, but everyone else was enjoying it.

Cooked some delicious food from recipes I've not tried before, and all were successful.  Visitors now departed and I am exhausted, but happy.

Good to hear this.  I can almost feel the buzz.

P..S. what sort of recipes.  I like trying new things.

P..S. what sort of recipes.  I like trying new things.

A couple of Jamie Oliver's Five Ingredient (plus half of what he expects you to  keep in your pantry) Recipes. Both were easy and we had no leftovers from the main course, Chickpea and Chard Pork. i was particularly pleased with that, as I have chard in the garden and another recipe for it is always welcome - and it was delicious. I made his Peas, Beans, Chilli Mint to go with that, and some Green Couscous, from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi

Jamie's Mango Rice Pudding was also  a success. It is very easy, tasty, and lighter than a 'normal' rice pud. The recipe makes a big bowlful, and as we had it after a very rich and substantial main course, we still have quite a lot left.

The Yotam Ottolenghi recipes had many more than five ingredients - but worth all the effort for the flavoursome results. Not the amount of spice I expected in them, going by previous recipes I've tried by him, but lots of fresh herbs and they were, in most cases, quite healthy - just a couple that contained quite a lot of cream - although it's not compulsary to eat large portions ;)

The most indulgent was a Vanilla Custard with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb - chosen because i wanted to use my home-grown rhubatb. The recipe is supposed to serve 8 - 10, and as there were only 4 of us I only made 3/4 of the recipe - but we managed to polish of the lot in one sitting. :yup:

I laso made his Chicken Marbella,  Tamara's Ratatouille,  Courgette and Ciabatta Frittata,  and  Roast Cabbage with Tarragon and Pecorino

Well, you did ask!

I would like to point out that this was over a period of 3days, not all in one sitting!

Made my head spin to read all the fancy dishes - you could work in an upscale restaurant, I wouldn't know how to tackle any of those recipes, good for you Meg.  And to be able to enjoy doing all of that and having fun too with guests, you are amazing.👍

My plating-up would not pass muster in any kind of restaurant, but at least,  having guests, I managed (unmatching) serving dishes and didn't plonk  it out straight from the cooking pans as is my everyday practice.

My head was in a spin - we are experiencing an unfamiliar bank-holiday heatwave, so I was almost passing out from the heat build-up in the kitchen on Saturday evening.

Had I known this at the planning stage - or believed the forecasts when I heard them -  I might have stuck to cold meats and salads,  but it is a very long time since I have found such pleasure in cooking for anyone. 

Also, it was my way, and first opportunity, of expressing love and care for my son and daughter-in-law who are still very fragile after the loss, in February, of their expected baby.

Good news on that front is that the problem with the baby was a "one off", and there is no reason that it should be repeated in any future pregnancy. 

Had a flat tyre on Thursday night which meant I only had the spare tyre on the car for Friday and couldn't travel very far, finally managed to get  a new tyre on Saturday, went to a friend's for dinner on Saturday night which was nice despite the lights fusing just as she served the first course!

Yesterday went to a country fair and saw some gorgeous baby goats, turned down the offer to bottle feed them, wish I had done it now but it was fun watching everyone else do it, it was a free for all!

Not sure about today, looking like it might rain.

17 hours ago, megustaleer said:

A couple of Jamie Oliver's Five Ingredient (plus half of what he expects you to  keep in your pantry) Recipes. Both were easy and we had no leftovers from the main course, Chickpea and Chard Pork. i was particularly pleased with that, as I have chard in the garden and another recipe for it is always welcome - and it was delicious. I made his Peas, Beans, Chilli Mint to go with that, and some Green Couscous, from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi

Jamie's Mango Rice Pudding was also  a success. It is very easy, tasty, and lighter than a 'normal' rice pud. The recipe makes a big bowlful, and as we had it after a very rich and substantial main course, we still have quite a lot left.

The Yotam Ottolenghi recipes had many more than five ingredients - but worth all the effort for the flavoursome results. Not the amount of spice I expected in them, going by previous recipes I've tried by him, but lots of fresh herbs and they were, in most cases, quite healthy - just a couple that contained quite a lot of cream - although it's not compulsary to eat large portions ;)

The most indulgent was a Vanilla Custard with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb - chosen because i wanted to use my home-grown rhubatb. The recipe is supposed to serve 8 - 10, and as there were only 4 of us I only made 3/4 of the recipe - but we managed to polish of the lot in one sitting. :yup:

I laso made his Chicken Marbella,  Tamara's Ratatouille,  Courgette and Ciabatta Frittata,  and  Roast Cabbage with Tarragon and Pecorino

Well, you did ask!

I would like to point out that this was over a period of 3days, not all in one sitting!

Appreciate the interesting reply. I have Jamie's 'Five Ingrefients' book but hadn't tried this one. Also have lots of Ottolenghi clippings which, despite me having a fairly comprehensive larder, usually means another trot round the shops.  My success with them varies.  Only a small back garden here so just grow herbs.

I'll have a go at some of 'your' dishes!

Very limited supply of fresh herbs locally - a bus ride to the next town along doesn't always come up with the goods either, but that and the garden supplied enough for last week.

I have found growing mint to be a problem - if you get it in the ground then it goes rampant and takes over every possible growing space, but it hates being in a pot, and sulks. I have found an answer here. Next to us is a small car park for the Sainsbury's Local, and between it and us is a screen of trees in a very weedy, neglected strip of land.  I sneaked a couple of rooted mint cuttings into it 18 months ago, and it is doing very well there :angeldevi.

Chard is difficult to find in the shops. I've seen it occasionally in supermarkets, where it is pretty expensive compared with spinach, and rather limp. I use spinach and chard interchangeably in most recipes, but for the Chickpea and Chard pork you really need the stalks as well, and most spinach in the supermarkets is bagged  'baby', or 'young' leaves, so the stalks are negligible. Jamie's recipe actually uses Rainbow, or Ruby chard to get the coloured stalks, which add to the appearance of the dish.

Just sitting thinking of household chores which were a breeze to do just a few years ago that are now so much harder.  Was just washing the window screens for the  bay window in the living room, have to give them a wash in the shower then cart them downstairs for Dave or Sheila to fix them to the windows, now resting to regain some energy for the next job, whatever it is.  At least the dinner is taken care of, have some stew going in the slow cooker so don't have to worry about that.  Oh to be 10 years younger!

4 hours ago, momac said:

household chores which were a breeze to do just a few years ago that are now so much harder.

Oh, tell me about it!

I seem to be permanently exhausted, and yet achieve nothing. The last few days were an aberration, which I couldn't have kept up any longer - don't know where I got the energy from, but it's all gone again now.

Today I filled a few pots ready to put in tomato plants, and my back was in spasm by the time I finished. I had managed to get  the visitors towels and bed-linen washed, but could barely lift the last sheet off the clothes line this afternoon.

Oh to be 10 years younger!

Not bothered about being 10 years younger, but could do with being 10 years fitter!

I agree Meg, 10 years fitter would work.  Have been trying to get a quote for a company to come and fix our front lawn, which needs attention now, a couple of bare spots, some of it winter damage. I was at the point where if I couldn't get a reasonable quote from the company we usually deal with on house maintenance I was going to have to tackle it myself, the prospect of which was causing me grief.  Anyway, the company came back with a reasonable quote (to me) - expect an argument from hubby, but he is not able to tackle it.  Life gets difficult at times but just have to grin and bear it.  You are managing with your garden which is great although exhausting, so take it a bit easier.  I can't do the bending anymore and standing for any length of time is painful so much of the veggie preparing in the kitchen is done at the kitchen table. Am still amazed at the recipes you tackled. 

29 minutes ago, momac said:

Am still amazed at the recipes you tackled. 

Yeah, me too!

I'm paying for it now 'though. Slept badly last night, but managed to plant 3 tomatoes this morning (two still to do). Been tired, achey ad feeling quite rough all evening

Just realized that it is now Friday and I haven't been on BGO for a few days, our weather hasn't been great and I haven't been able to putter around outside at all, fits of lassitude too,  find myself ignoring household type things and just settle down wtih the crossword or reading and watching tennis. 

Some of my lavender seeds are showing signs of life, spindly little hairlike plants, so I have to be careful when I spray them not to knock them over.  They'll have to get a lot bigger before I try to transplant them.

Hope you have regained your energy now Meg, your garden will be calling you.

Good luck with the lavender seeds!

Went to a the lovely gardens  at Wisley yesterday, rain held off most of the time and it was very enjoyable.

Thanks Madeleine, have a few tiny, wispy lavender seeds have sprouted, hubby says they should be transplanted to a bigger container, I can't for the life of me imagine trying to move something so delicate out of where it is now to put it somewhere else.  I'm a novice at this seed planting business, I usually buy plants which are ready for planting in the garden, will be interesting.

Went outside today to fix the hose which was spraying from a hole and I wrapped electrical tape on it and now I have it spraying from a different place, better I should have just left it alone.  Have filled all the watering cans though so they are ready for use and put a small fence around the tiny holly tree which we thought would fill in a space in the hedge - it didn't - in fact it made what looks like a thruway so that when our neighbour's son kicks his soccer ball into the front garden the impulse is to use the shortcut instead of walking around.  The holly tree just sits there not getting any bigger, we had a picture of it taking over the whole space and being a conversation point, the tree has the last laugh I think.

To add to a fairly uninteresting weekend,  one hand rail on the stairs up to the bedrooms broke - the actual fixture broke in two, not just pulled away from the wall, the metal is in two pieces.  So I have a piece of masking tape stuck on the end of it downstairs so that the impulse to grab that rail before going upstairs is thwarted by the sticky tape and it surprises me the number of times I've actually been alerted by it.  This short term memory loss is really inconvenient. :)  It's more of a problem for hubby not to have the use of both handrails as his legs don't work very well and he needs the support on both sides.  Hopefully our fixer will be here tomorrow to set it right.

Edited by momac

8 hours ago, momac said:

one hand rail on the stairs up to the bedrooms broke - - -  I have a piece of masking tape stuck on the end of it downstairs so that the impulse to grab that rail before going upstairs is thwarted by the sticky tape and it surprises me the number of times I've actually been alerted by it.  This short term memory loss is really inconvenient. :) 

I doubt that is actually to do with memory loss, momac, more to do with habit, and "physical memory" - where a regular action is so ingrained into everyday routine that the body goes into action without the brain needing to alert it.

The sticky tape is a good idea - without that reminder, even if you had perfect memory,  the automatic action could lead to a nasty injury.

I don't think that's to do with memory loss either, as Meg says, it's an automatic action to something you've got used to doing for a long time.

Yes, I think you are both correct, it was probably a habitual reaction.  All fixed now, thankfully.

general question, can anyone figure out the mood of the majority of the British public with regard to Brexit, do the majority want to stay? go? Or have another referendum - any ideas or is it too convoluted to even address?

19 minutes ago, momac said:

general question, can anyone figure out the mood of the majority of the British public with regard to Brexit, do the majority want to stay? go? Or have another referendum - any ideas or is it too convoluted to even address?

It's too convoluted to even address, Momac. The only thing that we are all agreed upon is that we are fed up hearing about it.  

4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

It's too convoluted to even address, Momac. The only thing that we are all agreed upon is that we are fed up hearing about it.  

Ditto

As far as numbers go, "the country" is fairly evenly divided. Or was at the time of the referendum, and no-one in power is prepared to risk finding that the proportions have changed, as they have no idea how they would cope if they have.

No more idea than they had when the referendum result was not the one that any of them expected.

On 01/05/2019 at 23:17, megustaleer said:

Ditto

As far as numbers go, "the country" is fairly evenly divided. Or was at the time of the referendum, and no-one in power is prepared to risk finding that the proportions have changed, as they have no idea how they would cope if they have.

No more idea than they had when the referendum result was not the one that any of them expected.

Maybe just me but don't you want a Dallas moment, where you wake up and Brexit /Referendum was all a bad dream ? 😲

3 hours ago, Clavain said:

Maybe just me but don't you want a Dallas moment, where you wake up and Brexit /Referendum was all a bad dream ? 😲

Oh, if only!

My daughter and her boyfriend of 8 years are engaged!  She does not want a big wedding, feeling that the Wedding Industrial Complex has gotten out of hand, with which view, I heartily agree.  She and her fiance are getting married in the chambers of a judge Kenn and I know with only parents and siblings in attendance.   They plan to have a big party some time in the next year. and have all of the friends and family together for that one event.  No bachelor/bachelorette parties, showers, etc.  I'm most impressed with their level-headedness.