Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Yes it was glorious yesterday, although today it's rained most of the time, so far anyway.  It wasn't too bad first thing, the traffic was really bad so I got off the bus and cut through the local park where there were lots of birds on the boating lake, including 2 or 3 cormorants.  By the time I got into town however it was pouring, then just after I got to work we had a fire drill, so back out in the rain again:mad:!

We had a glorious day yesterday and went out and about.  Monday was the first time we'd both been out further than the supermarket. Yesterday was beautiful so we went out and about and today was also beautiful so we also went out and about.  We are also catching up on chores not done since our convalescence - surprisingly few.  

Glad to hear that Meg, Luna and Madeleine enjoyed some nice weather although I guess rain moved in and spoiled it a bit for you Madeleine.  Meg, you had a lovely sightseeing trip to the National Trust sites.  Sounds like you really enjoyed it.  Great that there are those special places which have been preserved to nicely for those who wish to visit.

I haven't been out and about too much, seem to do a lot of just watching the birds through the front window.  Not too energetic, just doing housey things, keeping the place tidy and thinking of meals which will appeal to Dave and things that aren't too difficult for me to prepare.  Did a roast in the slow cooker last weekend and it was way too much meat for us, I don't eat much meat although Dave is fond of it.  What is left gets cut into small pieces and added to the dogs' dishes at mealtimes, they have no objections although it is kind of expensive as dog food.

It’s been relatively warm here in London, even with the rain. Drizzles mainly. The other day  I slipped on some wet leaves near a subway and fell on my knee. Luckily it’s only grazed and not broken.😬

I’ve been interested in everyone’s squirrel stories.

Where I live, there’s a female squirrel who sits on our kitchen window sill and peers in through the window on her hind legs.She always appears when we’re having breakfast. I think she lives in the huge tree outside the window and possibly sees us from there. I put nuts for squirrels on one side of the sill and bird seed on the other. There were loads  of birds  a couple of weeks ago - none at present. Maybe it’s not cold enough. We also have urban foxes living in a wild garden at the back, but they’ve been quiet too.They usually make a racket!

2 hours ago, momac said:

Glad to hear that Meg, Luna and Madeleine enjoyed some nice weather although I guess rain moved in and spoiled it a bit for you Madeleine.  Meg, you had a lovely sightseeing trip to the National Trust sites.  Sounds like you really enjoyed it.  Great that there are those special places which have been preserved to nicely for those who wish to visit.

I haven't been out and about too much, seem to do a lot of just watching the birds through the front window.  Not too energetic, just doing housey things, keeping the place tidy and thinking of meals which will appeal to Dave and things that aren't too difficult for me to prepare.  Did a roast in the slow cooker last weekend and it was way too much meat for us, I don't eat much meat although Dave is fond of it.  What is left gets cut into small pieces and added to the dogs' dishes at mealtimes, they have no objections although it is kind of expensive as dog food.

Being vegetarian for around 30 years I'm no expert on meat and the cooking/storing of therein but can you freeze the meat and bring it out on another occasion?   You could defrost it and then make it into curry or something radically different just for a change.  Even better if there is only enough left for Dave 

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Luna, problem with meat solved for the moment, Dave threw out what was left, so not even the dogs get to finish it off! :)

8 hours ago, momac said:

Luna, problem with meat solved for the moment, Dave threw out what was left, so not even the dogs get to finish it off! :)

Well done Dave :banghead:

I've heard it's dangerous to feed dogs human food.  Makes them ill, apparently

We never throw good food away, even though I still generally cook four-portion recipes, in spite of there being only the two of us. 

The half we don't eat on the day I chill and refrigerate as quickly as possible. Often we finish it the next day - or more likely the day after. Or, with a little tweaking,  it can be transformed into something quite different. Sometimes I freeze the second half, but mostly I batch-cook specifically for the freezer when the garden is producing well and by this time of year have no room for extras.

Admittedly it helps that Mr meg has poor short-term memory and very little sense of taste so, if I do serve it up unaltered, he does not realise that he has eaten the same meal two days previously. I'm just happy to be able to get away with only preparing and cooking from scratch three times a week. :naughty:

5 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I've heard it's dangerous to feed dogs human food.  Makes them ill, apparently

Never bothered any of  the dogs I've had, or looked after, they love human food, although a few things can upset  them (usually some fruits) but there's not much they won't eat!

28 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Never bothered any of  the dogs I've had, or looked after, they love human food, although a few things can upset  them (usually some fruits) but there's not much they won't eat!

I suppose it depends on how much you give them.  Only human food and every day and they get ill.  Human chocolate is poisonous to them.  And yes, I've had dogs and am well aware that there's not much that they won't eat.  My springer would literally do anything for a frozen green bean.  Naturally she did not get many of those. Did not know how to get into a whole egg, though.  My Cavalier did and, fortunately, only ate the raw egg, not the shell.  Again, he did not get many of these.  I was the one that had to cut up tripe (how disgusting is that?) once in a while for the cavalier, who was going mental for it.  Again, not an everyday choice.  Ours had canned dog food most of the time.

Any human food such as cooked chicken or meat is an 'add on' to get our older dog to eat his canned medicinal canned food which he hates so I try to disguise it with other tastier, to him, human food.  He likes veggies and they don't harm them at all, some other things such as grapes are not good for them but the only grape he's liable to find is one which may have been dropped inadvertently from the table.  Chocolate is an absolute no-no so he never gets even a sniff of that if we should have it around, which isn't often.  As Madeleine has said, there isn't much that dogs won't eat but in the case of Charlie, he has taken a real dislike to his food prescribed by the vet as he has a tendency to form bladder stones on dry dog food.

As to saving left overs, I have frozen left overs from time to time and unless I'm vigilant I forget that they are in the freezer so it's better if I make sure to not make up more food than we can eat in a couple of days.  As you get older, at least that's what I've found, you tend to not have as big an appetite, which is probably a good thing. Stew is good in the fridge for a couple of days and our fridge seems to be set at very cold so no problem there.

Oh yes chocolate isn't good for them, nor is grapes but yes we used to used human food to get our lab to take tablets, even the vet said to give them in a bit of cheese if that's what it took, and half the time she'd still spit out the tablets and eat the cheese, we found they love cheese!  We've often had to disguise their food with ours as well, or pour some gravy over their food!  They're not stupid though, they know what we're doing.

Yes, dogs are smart and also pernickety, sometimes at breakfast time our two come looking for a handout, and if I try to give them a little piece of toast they reject it and even if I try them with a tiny snip of bacon they will eat the bacon and leave the toast.  Should know by now not to feed them from the table but I'm a Mum and the instinct to feed the 'kids' sometimes blots out common sense.:scratchhe

We live in the middle of the vines and I'm afraid to say it's impossible to stop the dogs from eating grapes. It's not too bad when the bunches are still on the vine but after the grape picking machine has passed there are grapes lying on the ground. Touch wood no-one has ever had any problems.

Our dogs always get left over food - my mother in law had a theory that dogs are like dustbins, they are designed to take in everything and she said you were probably not doing them any favours by restricting their diet to commercial dog food. I don't cook vast quantities so they don't get an awful lot.

Anyone anyone with Labradors knows that it's imossible to stop them having human food.If you don't give it to them they just steal it....

3 hours ago, Viccie said:

Our dogs always get left over food - my mother in law had a theory that dogs are like dustbins

Which actually happened to be a nickname we had for our dog Sam (now departed sadly)

Carrots in particular for him were something he loved. 

30 minutes ago, iff said:

Which actually happened to be a nickname we had for our dog Sam (now departed sadly)

Carrots in particular for him were something he loved. 

My last Dalmatian was so fond of carrots that I had to buy a vegetable rack with pull out drawers as she regarded open sheves as help yourself.

Pretty hard to stop labs eating anything, I remember my mum asking the vet if there was any way to stop her and he said  the only thing was a muzzle!  Which we didn't want as we didn't like the idea of people thinking she was vicious!  So we put up with the endless scoffing.  We've since learned that King Charles spaniels are also very greedy, for anything.  But I'd worry about a dog if it wasn't obsessed with food.

It's interesting reading about other BGO members and their dogs and their eating habits, can't imagine our home without our dog famly,  would like a cat too but it would have to stay indoors as there is a fine for letting cats loose.  The dogs are ok outdoors as the yard is fenced but that would be no obstacle for a cat.

Was wondering what kind of post I would end up with if I let auto correct tell its own story, it's amazing sometimes when I see really strange words appearing which are nothing to do with the subject.:confused:

I still only use a couple of fingers when writing posts, so have to keep my eyes on the keyboard, not the screen. If I do not 'proof-read' very carefully, several times. auto-correct lets some odd typos through, or changes mistakes to something quite different to my intention.

It only corrects to a 'real' word that fits as near as possible to the spelling you put and as it doesn't recognise context, that has nothing to do with making sense. 

Correcting auto-correct means I take forever to post comments anywhere online (and still don't get it right every time).

On 10/16/2018 at 21:10, megustaleer said:

What absolutely glorious weather we had this morning, ideal for yet another visit to the National Trust's Sheffield Park & Gardens.

I see from his facebook post this evening that Grammath took the family there today - and from the photographs it was another glorious  day. 

Yes it was gorgeous over the weekend, warm and sunny, I did a bit of gardening and planted some snowdrop bulbs.  Nice and sunny today but much cooler.

Have had a disappointing experience with spring bulbs. I bought 150 chionodoxa (mail order) earlier in the year. They arrived in August, mid heatwave/drought, so didn't quite know what to do with them. I put them on the bookshelf in the hall, the coolest and darkest part of the house, and more or less forgot about them. They were in ventilated bags, in a cardboard box so I thought they'd keep OK. When I got round to planting them, last week, they had a distinctly mildewy appearance.

I bunged them in the ground anyway, hoping that at least a few would still be viable, but it was a great disappointment

I bought some of those a couple of years ago, a few came up last year and a few this year, but I generally find I get a poor return on bulbs, if even half of the ones I planted come up then I'm happy eg I planted 15 gladioli bulbs this year - got 3 that flowered, same with freesia - planted either 10 or 12, again only got 2 or 3 that actually grew and I'm not sure if they even flowered.  So good luck with yours, hope some come up as they're very pretty and they may revive in the soil.  Are they the ones with pretty blue flowers?

They are the pretty blue flowers, and they multiply like billy-o once they are established. I did plant some last year, and they have spread a bit. I would have loads by now, if Mr meg had not mistaken the emerging leaves for those of Spanish bluebells, which we have been digging up since we moved here, and 'weeded' them all away.

This new lot I am conserving in a marked off area (which he will be forbidden from weeding). If any of them do survive  and increase  can transplant them next year.

I have to fence off part of the lawn as soon as the snowdrops show their leaf tips, as they mark the area where I am naturalising miniature daffodils, otherwise he doesn't notice them and mows them all down as soon as they emerge  

Yep my gardener has a tendency to do that Meg, he did that last year to my lobelia:mad:, admittedly it was just newly planted so was still a bit scraggy and hadn't started to flower, but he pulled out a couple! I couldn't work out why there was a gap at first:confused: - since then he's been told to leave my tubs alone!