Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

That sounds scary bedtime, did you or the witness get the idiot's plate number?  Glad you sound \ok but maybe you should get checked out just to make sure?

Came back from holidsy to a bumper crop of tomatoes, will take them into work tomorrow.

So a little update. Last Tuesday, I passed my driving test! First time! I actually thought I had failed at the very beginning when my reverse park went a little awry, so I just totally relaxed and tried to get through it, already thinking when I could re-book my second test. So when he said at the end I had passed, I burst out crying. I then couldn't speak and the examiner left the car, leaving me with my instructor and my certificate. I can't believe it. I had completely resigned myself to never being a driver. It seemed like such a huge mountain to climb. But here we are. I have even been out on a few drives myself (and the dog!).

And...today was my first day at my new job - it was pretty cool and while I will miss working with kids, I wont miss the politics or frustrations of education. Or my incompetent boss. Oh, I may miss the school holidays too!

24 minutes ago, Hazel said:

So a little update. Last Tuesday, I passed my driving test! First time! I actually thought I had failed at the very beginning when my reverse park went a little awry, so I just totally relaxed and tried to get through it, already thinking when I could re-book my second test. So when he said at the end I had passed, I burst out crying. I then couldn't speak and the examiner left the car, leaving me with my instructor and my certificate. I can't believe it. I had completely resigned myself to never being a driver. It seemed like such a huge mountain to climb. But here we are. I have even been out on a few drives myself (and the dog!).

And...today was my first day at my new job - it was pretty cool and while I will miss working with kids, I wont miss the politics or frustrations of education. Or my incompetent boss. Oh, I may miss the school holidays too!

Congratulations on passing your driving test!! First time as well.

I’ve been thinking of giving my car up. It’s 25 years old but my mechanic thinks it’s still got a long way to go.

1 hour ago, Hazel said:

Well done.  It took me 3 attempts and that was before the theory test was introduced. I fully understand why you thought you'd failed.  Mine took place during an emergency where a building was on fire.  It was like Wacky Races!  I relaxed fully by the end of the first road, it was such a mess that I thought that I had no chance.  I couldn't cry when the tester told me I had passed, I was in so much shock.  

16 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Well done.  It took me 3 attempts and that was before the theory test was introduced. I fully understand why you thought you'd failed.  Mine took place during an emergency where a building was on fire.  It was like Wacky Races!  I relaxed fully by the end of the first road, it was such a mess that I thought that I had no chance.  I couldn't cry when the tester told me I had passed, I was in so much shock.  

Same here. Passed on my fourth attempt.

( Apparently,  I kept making the same mistake. It wasn’t until I got a replacement driving instructor when mine fell ill ( probably from me failing so many times ) that he pointed out what I was doing wrong. I passed thanks to him.

Well done, I passed second time and also felt I messed something up, think it was the emergency stop, we didn't have the theory test in my day.  And  good luck in the new job too.

Spent a few days up in the West Midlands - ostensibly to visit my brother (and enjoy one of his home-cooked curries), but also managed to visit five National Trust Properties and the Black Country Living Museum, all in 4days.

Had a great time, but came home exhausted.

Hazel - Congrats on your Driver's Licence and good luck in your new job -  you must feel really good about two accomplishments at the same time - and a new auntie too if I remember the posts without backtracking.  A totally new experience opening up for you, all the very best to you and the family.:)

Meg, glad you had a good time visiting the West Midlands, sound like you made the most of your trip in visiting so many of the National Trust properties and seeing your brother, hope the currie was very nice.  It's a good time of the year for travel, not too hot or too cold I would think.

5 hours ago, momac said:

.  It's a good time of the year for travel, not too hot or too cold I would think.

The weather was perfect; dry, sunny and warm every day. We started the journey in heavy rain, but drove out of that in about an hour, well before arriving at our first stop (Runnymede).

It turned chilly the day after we got home.

It was lovely at the weekend, bit chilly but sunny, managed a forest walk yesterday morning which was glorious, even saw a few deer. 

Nice to have a forest where you can enjoy seeing deer.  Not much in the way of forest around here but lots of open fields where you can sometimes spot a deer Madeleine.

Made a return visit today to Bateman's, Rudyard Kipling's home for many years.  Weather cold and cloudy when we set off, but the sun came out mid morning and it became quite warm. Enjoyed walking around the gardens again, and was delighted to catch the sweet scent of a Cercidiphyllum japonicum (aka toffee-apple tree), a lovely reminder of my 'old' garden. I was amazed that other people passing by weren't halted by the sudden smell of toffee  from the turning leaves(although I think it smells more like candyfloss).

We went into the house on this visit, and I was particularly interested to discover Kipling's, hitherto unknown, family connections to Edward Burne-Jones and to Stanley Baldwin.

Even Mr meg, who had to be dragged into the house found it interesting, and had to be dragged out of there.

On 01/10/2018 at 10:40, Madeleine said:

It was lovely at the weekend, bit chilly but sunny, managed a forest walk yesterday morning which was glorious, even saw a few deer. 

You are lucky!

A few weeks ago I went on a mini rambling trip. with my husband, somewhere in Oxfordshire. We crossed field after field into the woods. To see deer running across a field into the woods was a lovely surprise. Especially for someone like me, living in London. I don’t enjoy walking in London. At one point on our walk, we took a wrong turn and ended up on someone’s private land. They were very nice about it and showed us their prize pigs and black sheep before showing us the correct path.

On the way back to the cottage where we were staying, I slipped and fell into a ditch/ stream/bog - not sure what it was, but I got very wet! 😂

21 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Made a return visit today to Bateman's, Rudyard Kipling's home for many years.  Weather cold and cloudy when we set off, but the sun came out mid morning and it became quite warm. Enjoyed walking around the gardens again, and was delighted to catch the sweet scent of a Cercidiphyllum japonicum (aka toffee-apple tree), a lovely reminder of my 'old' garden. I was amazed that other people passing by weren't halted by the sudden smell of toffee  from the turning leaves(although I think it smells more like candyfloss).

We went into the house on this visit, and I was particularly interested to discover Kipling's, hitherto unknown, family connections to Edward Burne-Jones and to Stanley Baldwin.

Even Mr meg, who had to be dragged into the house found it interesting, and had to be dragged out of there.

Bateman’s is a great house. We we’re staying in Burwash ( husband & I )when we decided to walk across the fields. We saw the house by chance,  from the top of the hill and walked down.   I loved it, but was equally sad when I learned about Kipling’s son.This was about ten years ago.

Somewhere amongst my books I’ve got a Bateman House book marker. I collect book markers from places I find interesting.

57 minutes ago, Loretta said:

Bateman’s is a great house....   I loved it, but was equally sad when I learned about Kipling’s son.

Have you seen the film, My Boy Jack? Based on a play by David Haig, with Haig playing RK, and Daniel Radcliffe as John Kipling? Very moving.

19 minutes ago, megustaleer said:

Have you seen the film, My Boy Jack? Based on a play by David Haig, with Haig playing RK, and Daniel Radcliffe as John Kipling? Very moving.

Yes, I have, and agree it was very moving.  I’d forgotten Daniel Radcliffe was in it, but vividly remember the actor David Haig playing Kipling. I thought he was excellent. Didn’t realise he’d written the play.

13 hours ago, Loretta said:

Bateman’s is a great house. We we’re staying in Burwash ( husband & I )when we decided to walk across the fields. We saw the house by chance,  from the top of the hill and walked down.   I loved it, but was equally sad when I learned about Kipling’s son.This was about ten years ago.

Somewhere amongst my books I’ve got a Bateman House book marker. I collect book markers from places I find interesting.

I do that too, pens as well.

13 hours ago, Loretta said:

You are lucky!

A few weeks ago I went on a mini rambling trip. with my husband, somewhere in Oxfordshire. We crossed field after field into the woods. To see deer running across a field into the woods was a lovely surprise. Especially for someone like me, living in London. I don’t enjoy walking in London. At one point on our walk, we took a wrong turn and ended up on someone’s private land. They were very nice about it and showed us their prize pigs and black sheep before showing us the correct path.

On the way back to the cottage where we were staying, I slipped and fell into a ditch/ stream/bog - not sure what it was, but I got very wet! 😂

I live in London too and don't really like walking there, although we have done a few interesting walks and been to a few places I might not normally have visited - Greenwich is lovely, have you been there?

Luckily we're only about 20 minutes or so from forest.  We've also occasionally accidentally wandered onto private land but not had any trouble so far!  That was nice of them to show you their animals.

All I'm saying is :  I'm glad that I've got plenty of books in this house!  I have had a heavy cold which has now descended into a hacking cough, my father has the cold that I gave him and so has my brother.  All three of us are in the house not feeling particularly well.  I was expecting to be fully recovered by now, I need to pick up my new specs and finish off my dental treatment and all I can do just now is cough! 

Sorry you're having a rough time at your house Luna, stay warm, lots of fluid, rest and enjoy a good book, soon be better.  :)

On 04/10/2018 at 09:55, Madeleine said:

I live in London too and don't really like walking there, although we have done a few interesting walks and been to a few places I might not normally have visited - Greenwich is lovely, have you been there?

Luckily we're only about 20 minutes or so from forest.  We've also occasionally accidentally wandered onto private land but not had any trouble so far!  That was nice of them to show you their animals.

I visited Greenwich once with a family friend. We walked  about on a ship - must have been the Cutty Sark. Wouldn’t mind going again to see the Observatory.

Where I live, which is at the opposite end ( West London) we have the river and loads of parks. I shouldn’t really grumble 😀

10 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

All I'm saying is :  I'm glad that I've got plenty of books in this house!  I have had a heavy cold which has now descended into a hacking cough, my father has the cold that I gave him and so has my brother.  All three of us are in the house not feeling particularly well.  I was expecting to be fully recovered by now, I need to pick up my new specs and finish off my dental treatment and all I can do just now is cough! 

Sympathies, Luna.  Hope you all get better quickly, but don’‘t go out too soon.

I made that mistake last week. My cold started off with  tickling throat and ended up in a full blown head cold. When I felt better and thought it had gone, I took a trip to Oxford. The following day I felt worse, and am only just getting over it now....in the meantime, I ended up knitting a scarf with wool I bought over 15 years ago! I’m sure I bought the wool to try and knit something other than a scarf, but never seem to manage it.

6 minutes ago, Loretta said:

Sympathies, Luna.  Hope you all get better quickly, but don’‘t go out too soon.

I made that mistake last week. My cold started off with  tickling throat and ended up in a full blown head cold. When I felt better and thought it had gone, I took a trip to Oxford. The following day I felt worse, and am only just getting over it now....in the meantime, I ended up knitting a scarf with wool I bought over 15 years ago! I’m sure I bought the wool to try and knit something other than a scarf, but never seem to manage it.

Oh no!  I have not been across the threshold since last Monday, trying to keep it inhouse, as it were.  I simply must go out tomorrow and get groceries.  I abandoned my crochet until yesterday and realised, yesterday, that I had missed it badly.  Still, I have done a fair amount of reading and caught up with all my Sky+ recordings, so not all bad.

I hope that you feel better soon too and that your knitting goes well.

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Oh no!  I have not been across the threshold since last Monday, trying to keep it inhouse, as it were.  I simply must go out tomorrow and get groceries.  I abandoned my crochet until yesterday and realised, yesterday, that I had missed it badly.  Still, I have done a fair amount of reading and caught up with all my Sky+ recordings, so not all bad.

I hope that you feel better soon too and that your knitting goes well.

Thanks, feeling much better. 

At least I’ll have a scarf ready when winter arrives! haha.