what is everyone doing?

Got to work OK yesterday but stayed late and was lucky to catch the last bus home before they stopped running them.  Buses are running today but I don't need to be in the office again this week so working from home.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• momac

• lunababymoonchild

• megustaleer

• Hazel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We seem to be going to miss most of the snow today. there's an amber alert from Hampshire westwards, and we are half of Sussex away from that.

We had snow from 06:30 for about an hour. Our bins are emptied at 06:15, and when I went out shortly afterwards to close the lids before they got filled with snow, there were very fine snowflakes just starting to fall, with a very strong, biting, easterly wind behind them.

I don't know where the snow went, but there's little to show for it (at least not at the back, there is now a layer on the path at the front). As it appeared to be snowing horizontally I expect it landed on the hilly bits between here and Brighton.

As far as the forecast goes it will supposedly continue, on and off, for most of the day; none if the blue skies and sun we had yesterday, but none of the heavy snow others are getting either. But that's just what is expected, and not necessarily what we will be getting.

I'm sorry for the 'essential services', especially in the amber & red warning areas, and am pleased that I no longer have to turn out in these sort of conditions.

I have the bedroom and kitchen radiators turned up again, and hot water bottles at the ready!

It's pretty grim here - snow and high winds. I'm still in bed, nice and cosy - school is closed.

I was impressed by our new transport minister. His advice has been clear and direct. They used to just say "only travel if necessary", leaving you to decide what's necessary and to imagine what might happen if you do. He has changed that, and is appearing on TV saying, if you do travel, you will get stuck, emergency services won't reach you etc. It does make people think twice - and will hopefully stop employers telling people they have to go in. He has taken more of a personal interest than politicians have in the past: he was saying that he would be talking to particular haulage companies etc, and it sounded as if he would be personally lifting the phone.

And the poor soul looks rough. Someone tweeted, Humza, mate, get some sleep.

School is closed tomorrow as well MM, well Glasgow City schools so far. That’ll be theee days I have had off because of the snow. The boys have never seen snow like it. The cat won’t go out, has peed in a plant pot indoors and the dog disappears when she goes out! It’s one for the ages alright.

the advice from our government is for everyone to stay indoors from 4pm today until noon tomorrow

my mother works in the laundry department of a hospital usually half an hour away, she is staying in a b & b last night and this night, it would just be too difficult coming and going.

We had more snow in 2010: I had my cat back then, and  I had been getting my kitchen redone so I had no catflap for a bit. She was mightily unimpressed that she had to jump out of the window into three feet of snow, though she did want to go out!

The best thing must be to be a dog. My friend sent me a video of his spaniel puppy in the snow - she looked sooo happy.

Lots of snow for England, Scotland, Ireland and probably Wales just when some parts were enjoying some Spring weather.  Stay warm and stay safe BGO people (maybe build a snowman!)

Yea, the wind is very heavy here too 

From the kitchen, I was looking out at thr birds. I feel sorry for them. There are apples for them on top of our shed. One bird is very vicious and protecting the apples against any other bird going for it, particularly getting physical with black bird

Not a flake of snow after that first hour this morning, but very windy, and bitterly cold.

The weather forecast after the BBC local news prog at 6:30 said that there is snow gathering in northern France, and is expected here sometime tomorrow. I was startled to see that there was an amber warning triangle for snow bang on top of us on the weather map.

Currently trying to decide whether or not to go out to the garage (no direct access from the house) for a loaf of bread, or wait until tomorrow. Based on the accuracy of recent forecasts, tomorrow will  be fine - but then again ....

We are still snowed in, red alert has been reduced to amber and both my brother and father are itching to get out and about. The police have said not to travel and it's all uphill back to the house but men think they know best.  We are out of bread and milk is running low.  I have pointed out that if the supermarket is open it might not have any stock as a result of the weather and I seem to be talking to myself *sigh*  More snow is forecast.  I do have plenty to read and am grateful that the central heating is still on, the Sky TV is working and that we have broadband.

The heating engineer did turn up this morning - earlier than expected, to service our boiler. He said it made a nice change to go to a house whare the boiler was actually working - for the last few days he has been going mostly to houses where the outflow pipe for the boiler condenser (? I think) has frozen all the way up and blocked the pipe, so the boiler has gone out. 
I'm surprised that hasn't happened to us, as ours is located on the coldest, windiest side of the house.

I guess if that hasn't happened this year it never will, but we now know what to look out for, and how to fix it before it actually stops the boiler working.

The amber wind/snow warning for the south now extends from the west all the way across to Beachy Head, so includes us. The snow is supposed to srrive about lunchtime and last until bedtime. I'm not convinced.

I braved the wind and went out to the garage first thing. Had to use the front door, as i daren't use the nearer french door from the sitting room in case the wind grabbed it out of my hand. Got a loaf of bread from the freezer, plus a box of vegetable goulash for dinner tonight, and transferred a pack of shin-of-beef to the kitchen freezer so it is handy for making a stew in a day or so. I also brought in some leeks that have been in the garage since I dug up the last 2 rows ahead of the freeze, as they will want using.

Should have got them in to make a leek soup yesterday (St David's day).

The Sainsbury's (very) Local store has not run out of anything so far, so I assume that the route from their supply depot must have been fairly clear - up until now.

Hope the rest of you are managing to keep warm and adequately fed. I'm starting to feel guilty about our lack of snow and our ample food supplies.

I managed out today: the roads are clear, apart from side roads, and everything seems to be running fine. The weather wasn't half as unpleasant as it looked or sounded.

However, bread and milk are in short supply in the supermarket. I baked some savoury scones, but I couldn't find a local cow to milk. Thankfully the corner shop had some!

Your weather has been all over the news here.  I guess "Beast from the East" is just too tempting a title.  I'm glad that it seems that everyone is okay.

My mother died suddenly and unexpectedly a week ago.  She co-hosted a ladies' luncheon Thursday and was as right as rain.  She had told her pastor (and no one else) that she was having some tests run on her heart and was concerned.  I guess that must have been it because none of her other conditions were life-threatening.  In fact, she was planning to go to the mountains on vacation this summer with my brother and his family.  Instead, they are all coming to town for her service and to help as much as they can with her house.  Then my brothers and I are flying to Miami to place her ashes with my father's.  My brothers are flying back to Dallas to load up a U-Haul with what they are taking back with them and I am driving on to Orlando for a conference where I am, unfortunately, speaking.  I will arrive a day early and think I will lie out by the pool (under an umbrella since I am a person of pallor) and take a few minutes to breathe deeply.

So very sorry to hear about your mother. It must have been a real shock in that there were no immediate signs of a problem although it sounds as though she was maybe more concerned than she was indicating.  My condolences to you and your family.  You are all going to have a busy and a sad time with the arrangements you are having to make.  You will have a brief respite in Orlando for some quiet time to think and remember.

Very sorry to hear your news Binker - love to you and your family. What a shock for you all.

I made it out yesterday, just up to the local shop. It was absolutely freezing - the wind was incredible. On the way back I got waylaid and ended up walking into a snow drift, the snow was up to my knees and I couldn't free myself. My son was hysterical laughing at me. A couple digging out their car did the same. I really just kind of flung myself about to get out.

Found that the Crock Pot I have been using is too heavy for me to lift,  I think it maybe it is a 6 quart size, so ordered a 1 1/2 size which arrived today.  It will be good for just the two of us as anytime I have made stew in the large one we have enough to last three days and, of course, after two days we are a bit fed up of it and don't want to freeze what's left.  So hopefully the small one will work out fine.  Have ordered a 'cooking for two' recipe book from Amazon.UK hoping it might have less of the recipes in it that seem to appeal more to folks on this continent with lots of spicy ingredients but maybe spicy is popular in the UK too.  Will have to wait and see.  I like more bland food although Dave is quite happy with spicy things and I have a suspicion that possibly now he's not tasting things as well as he used to, even if I find something really peppery he says he doesn't taste the pepper.  So he has Chili Sauce where I would probably have just plain Ketchup.  Sometimes I think I could probably live on soup, tea and toast!

Edited by momac