what is everyone doing?

Luna - I received a link supposedly from you about advertising a diet pill?  Is someone hacking the forum because I have already in the last few months received a couple of advertising e-mails from Kevin Dayman, Tagessman, and he never sent them.  I haven't opened his links as I was nervous about what they might be. 

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• momac

• lunababymoonchild

• megustaleer

• Hazel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, momac said:

Luna - I received a link supposedly from you about advertising a diet pill?  Is someone hacking the forum because I have already in the last few months received a couple of advertising e-mails from Kevin Dayman, Tagessman, and he never sent them.  I haven't opened his links as I was nervous about what they might be. 

No, I have not sent you a link about diet pills and nor would I, so don't open that link either.  It must be some sort of hack but I don't know anything else about it.

41 minutes ago, momac said:

Was it a PM, Monaco? I know you can get viruses which infect your email but I have never known BGO messages to be affected before. That is very worrying.

(My friend had an email virus sending ads for diet pills and ... anatomical enlargements. They went to her (portly!) parish priest, which really upset her!)

25 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

No, I have not sent you a link about diet pills and nor would I, so don't open that link either.  It must be some sort of hack but I don't know anything else about it.

I did open the link and it was a US ad, don't know how the person is getting the e-mail.

Only the moderators and admin can see your email address, and they are unlikely to use that, unless you have been absent from BGO for a long time and have not answered earlier messages. It's best not to open any emails purporting to be from BGO members, and only communicate on the site or by PMs.

When I get unusual e-mails purporting to be people I know, my reaction is to get in contact with the person who send it and tell them, the couple of examples coming to mind was to ring them but those were a brother of mine and a client at work.

The e-mail account that sent them can be resecured by changing passwords.

1 hour ago, momac said:

Luna, the e-mail on the forwarded e-mail was info@abcyourcare.com

Not one of my emails.  How did you know it was supposed to be from me?

I have now changed the password on the email account listed in my profile that only moderators are supposed to get into.  I would not advise getting in contact with the sender of the suspicious email.  That only tells them that your email is live and will make matters worse, or so I've heard.

2 minutes ago, Minxminnie said:

Momac, does luna have your email address? If it went from her email to yours, and she had you in her own contacts list, then I am thinking that it's more likely to be an email virus than anything to do with this site. Would tag also have your email address?

No, I don't have Momac's email address and she doesn't have mine.

4 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Not one of my emails.  How did you know it was supposed to be from me?

I have now changed the password on the email account listed in my profile that only moderators are supposed to get into.  I would not advise getting in contact with the sender of the suspicious email.  That only tells them that your email is live and will make matters worse, or so I've heard.

It had your BGO name at the top.

3 minutes ago, momac said:

Tag does not have my e-mail address.

The moderators and admin can see your email address in your profile. Tagesmann is a moderator, so he can see your email address, but  I doubt he or any other moderator would use it, other than in the circumstances I mentioned above. 

Do not open any emails with BGO members named as senders. If you are really curious, then PM them through BGO and ask if they have sent you an email

The only other thing that comes to mind is that Luna, Tag and I are all on Facebook. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but to my knowledge my e-mail is only known by the admins at FB and my close friends and relatives.

All,

These spam/phishing messages hide themselves by picking someone you know and using their name and/or email address - which they get from your email address book, or from other links that you might have - to try to fool you into opening the message, or even worse replying.  There is very little you can do to stop them. If you use gmail, they are blocked some of the time, but not always on mobile apps.

I am very confident that the source is not our database here.

Tag, I had two fwds using your name, those are the ones I questioned you about and you had no knowledge of them - it seems strange that the two people who have been picked out as fwds were me and Luna.  I wondered if someone had managed to get some info from BGO - I have never had anything similar.  But if you say it could have been picked off something else then we'll just have to remember to delete them as soon as we get them if we ever get any other ones.  I don't have any State secrets that are at risk.:)

Some of the phishing emails I get purport to be from members of my old U3A, which I left 2 years ago. They have been coming sporadically for 5 or 6 years.

I assume that at some point emails were sent out to all the (then) group leaders from someone with inadequate security, and that weak link allowed the names and addresses of recipients to be harvested.

I think their object is to access your email account - which they can't do unless you reply, or click on any links they include.

I do not open any emails that have nothing written in the subject box, and I check the email address on any email that has a name I recognise, but from whom I do not normally receive emails. If I do not recognise the address, it goes in my junk mail.

If I am concerned that I might be ignoring emails from a genuine acquaintance, then I check - by phone, or with someone who knows both of us or, if it is a BGO member, by sending a BGO message.

These 'phishing' emails (and phone calls) are a fact of modern day communication, sadly you just have to have to treat the unusual with suspicion.

Luna is sensible to have separate email addresses for different functions, that gives these criminals fewer opportunities to access useful information.

Will certainly be alert for anything strange.

Was glad today when I found out that all the books I had in my archives in my old Kindle are still available in my Amazon library so I can just go in and ask that the book be transferred to my new Kindle.  Glad that the 1400 titles are still accessible.

I was very angry and terribly saddened today about the shooting of the children in the Florida school.  It is absolutely insane that this keeps happening, in this case an ex-student killing other children, seventeen fatalities and many injured, several others with life threatening injuries.

The powers that be in the US say all the right things and offer prayers and sympathy and not a damn thing changes.  Theparents must be heartsick about this tragedy.  Why is it a powerful nation like the US cannot pass legislation to control their gun culture.

This should maybe be in the rant section but it is what I am doing at the moment, worrying and thinking about this horrible massacre.