what is everyone doing?

Sounds like there was lots to look at Meg.  I understand completely about the ice skating, I was always a nervous skater and stayed close to the boards in the rink although I wanted to be like Sonia Henie when I was a young 'un.  The mulled cider and mince pies are just the ticket for a Christmas outing.

CP, your post took me back many years when we used to go out with the church choir and do the rounds of the nursing homes.  Once we were gathered around one ward when an old gentleman was getting back into a high bed and was wearing the official hospital garb, he didn't care that a bunch of folk were standing around carolling, but we thought we'd better move along to help preserve his dignity and stifle our embarrassed giggles.

I'm sure the people who come to the soup lunches really appreciate them, gets them out among other folk for a while.

I have the table top Christmas tree decorated and it looks quite nice.  The tiny lights run off a small battery pack so it's anyone's guess how many times we'll have to change the batteries.

Also got my 'adopted' wolf cub plush toy yesterday, he's really cute, and I've named him Diga, which is Indian for wolf.  Neil supplied the name as he teaches in a reservation school.  Never too old for a cute plush toy.  He represents protection for the northern boreal wolves via the Canadian Wildlife Federation.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• momac

• lunababymoonchild

• megustaleer

• Hazel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had a wisdom tooth out on thursday so haven't been feeling great since.

my food since then has been slices of bread, bowls of porridge, grapes, bananas and yoghurts on one side of the mouth

Edited by iff
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone has had a joyful season so far.  We have a lot of snow and today there is brilliant sunshine but a temp of -15C which is a bit cool.  This cold snap is expected to last for at least the next 10 days or so.  

I made stuffing that can be made in the oven this time and it was a success, daughter is our stuffing lover and she made sure that the hastily scrawled recipe I took off the Internet was put away carefully for next time.  She prefers the stuffing to the chicken or turkey and I agree - I can get by with all the fixings without the meat part.

Going for an afternoon nap after having some leftovers which look like they may last another day at least.

Wishing all of you a very happy New Year, and may 2018 be filled with many exciting events and good health.  :beerchug:  - could do with some more appropriate Emoticons for celebration.Image result for new year emoticonsFound one a bit better than clinking beer mugs!

Edited by momac

Pleased you have had a good Christmas, Momac. We were just the two of us, so it was like having two ordinary Sundays in a row - which did get a bit confusing!

Today we went to have a delayed Christmas lunch with Elder Son & family (actually their second, as they were with DiL's family for Christmas lunch yesterday)  

Granddaugter has recently been introduced to Anne of Green Gables, via a TV version called Anne With an E, so I bought her a graphic novel version which has gone down well - particularly with Dil, who has a couple of treasured editions from her own childhood that she would much rather not  have fall into her daughter's hands.

Younger Son & family are coming to us Thursday - Saturday - weather and trains permitting. Tomorrow will be spent turning the spare room into a bedroom and trying to make the house baby-proof. Grandbaby is on his feet but not, so far, walking alone - only with the push-along walker he had for Christmas, so I have no idea how high he will be able to reach. I hope I have not underestimated.

hope everyone had a nice christmas :)

quite a nice few days off work until next wednesday. had christmas dinner at 3pm and was so full after it, i couldn't eat again all day.

my brother had watned a bluetooth hat (or my mother wanted to get him a blue tooth hat) and left it to me to order online (she tried one bricks & mortar shop which didn't have it), needless to say when trying to connect on christmas day, it wouldn't connect to any device so returning that is something i have to do.

oh well.

Meg, Nice that you have an after Christmas visit to look forward to especially since newest grandbaby is almost at the walking stage.  Sometimes the after Christmas time is a bit of a letdown but you'll have company which is nice.

Interesting article Luna, quite a different way of looking at unread books on the shelf.

Don't know what a Bluetooth hat is iff?

Wishing all a festive New Year's Eve.

2 hours ago, momac said:

Don't know what a Bluetooth hat is iff?

It allows the mobile phone to be connected to the hat so without taking phone out of pocket, you can receive calls

Thanks for that link, luna, makes me feel a little better about the number of unread books I still have on my bookshelves,

We had The Black Swan, by Naseem Talib (referred to in that article) as a BGO  Group Read some years ago. If anyone is interested in the comments posted by members who read it they can be found here

I feel like I've lost my best friend, my Kindle has died, I was having to re-charge it almost every day and when I tried fixing it I fixed it worse so now have to wait until my new one arrives in mid January.  I could read from my Desktop or my IPad but it's not very convenient.  Maybe I'll have lots of time for reflection or maybe even crochet or, heaven forbid, some household chores.:scratchhe

Edited by momac

Thanks Viccie and Luna. Decided to make stew so am doing something positive.  It's bitterly cold and stew will go nicely on a cold day.  Have another crossword to tackle, finished one so I'm saving this one for later. :)

Lots of lists about books at the end of the year (in our weekend newspapers) and in the one showing the 100 best-selling books I had read just one, The Essex Serpent.  In readers'  books of the year I was chuffed to see my current read Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor.

After a very quiet Christmas Day we have had a brilliant, if exhausting, few days visit from Younger Son, DiL, and Grandbaby. It was wonderful to be able to cram both sons, daughters-in-law and all the grandchildren into our sitting room for a picnic-style lunch on Friday. When we first moved in here I didn't think that would be possible, but can now contemplate repeat performances without too much trepidation!
We were overtaken yesterday by feelings of anti-climax & lassitude, so spent much of the day watching TV and eating leftovers. We will start the New Year slowly  'getting back to normal' 

I'm a first timer at this but here goes!  Happy New Year to all.  I hope the upcoming twelve months give you all you desire.  I have spent the last part of last year writing my first novel and the last few days self-publishing it on Amazon.  I hope to write at least two more this year but that doesn't spare me that "back to school" feeling of upcoming fear for the "return to normal" that the end of the holidays brings.  Anyone else out there feel that way too?

Hello Meg - I know I posted a reply to your good visit with your grandbaby and the picnic lunch you had and managed to fit everyone in to your smaller home, don't know where that post went but I'm glad the visit worked so well.  Put your feet up and have a relaxed beginning to 2018. :)

On 1/2/2018 at 15:27, momac said:

I know I posted a reply to your good visit with your grandbaby.....don't know where that post went

I have seen it, you posted it in the Happy 2018 thread. 

We had our first visitors of 2018 yesterday, a childhood friend and her husband. We have not seen them since a reunion of friends from our teens, when one came 'home' on holiday from Australia - in 1986! They had been visiting family in Kent, and detoured on their way home to look in on us.

We have known each other all our lives, as her family lived opposite my parents and we were born about 6weeks apart but, as happens, our lives took us down different paths and our contact has reduced to the exchange of Christmas cards, and the very occasional letter if we had news to pass on of mutual accquaintances.

How nice Meg to get together with a friend from long ago, I'll bet it seemed like the years just vanished when you were talking as if you'd never been away from each other.  At least that's what I've found with long time friends I don't see often.