what is everyone doing?

4 hours ago, megustaleer said:
4 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Probably this one:

Threatcon Delta
A radical terrorist group plans to unleash plagues across the globe and it’s up to ex-CIA agent Ryan Kealey to prevent a disaster of biblical proportions.
Ryan Kealey has no doubt that the forces seeking to tip this teetering world into chaos are just getting better. Better equipped, better organized, and, most terrifying of all, more patient. And despite all the ELINT, the all-seeing electronic intelligence gathered at Langley, nothing stops a devastating attack from ripping through the heart of San Antonio, Texas.
Wrenched from retirement to work the Texas tragedy, Kealey learns of a far greater threat in the Middle East. A radical terrorist group claims possession of a powerful ancient relic, the Staff of Moses, which they will use to unleash plagues across the globe. To avert unimaginable devastation, lone-wolf Kealey, armed with little more than intuition, must prevent, a disaster of biblical proportions that may well be inevitable. 

You do have an eclectic reading list!

Can't say this would appeal to me at all, so i'm not surprised you struggled with it.

That's the one Meg, although it becomes way more involved in the short description there and that's what had me struggling, it does give a a broad idea of the plot which starts off with the Mayor of a small town in Texas being assassinated, not sure why that was the catalyst, however, as I said there were a few sub plots and I got lost a few times.  Maybe if I had read the whole book from start to finish in one session instead of reading in bits and pieces it might have been clearer.  I'm still amazed that I doggedly carried on. :hmm:

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• momac

• lunababymoonchild

• megustaleer

• Hazel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Collecting 'stuff' together in readiness for Baby Grandson's visit in a fortnight. Got a camping cot & mattress, some toys, and yesterday went to collect an E-bay sourced fireguard. Not that we are planning to have a fire, but it will keep him away from the fire-irons, and the coal basket - and will give us an inaccessible place to put the things we don't want him to pull off the shelves. He is now 8months, crawling & pulling himself up onto his feet. It's over eight years since we had a crawler in the family, and the first time here - where we have fewer places  tp ut things out of his reach.

Anyway, to collect this fireguard we drove across the Downs to take a look at the scenery, and happened to come across Ditchling Beacon, so stopped for a few moments to admire the view

We couldn't have picked a better day for it - warm, sunny and clear (so glad we didn't decide to go today, which is dull, damp & miserable).

We must go again, when we have more time to explore.

You must be excited over the upcoming visit of your grandson Meg, sounds a lovely event to anticipate and the time will fly.

Looked at Ditchling Beacon, very interesting.  So many places in England to visit and admire.

Enjoying a lovely Autumn day,  cool and sunny.  Hubby just changed the filter in the furnace in readiness for turning it to heating instead of air conditioning.  Am not sorry to see the humidity go away.  This is my favourite time of the year.

Had a look at the Glasgow Necropolis on the Internet Luna, quite impressive and interesting.  Is it far from where you live?

Sometimes you have to eat humble pie. Met an Australian tonight and for some reason in my mind Sydney was west and Perth east, I even made a bet I was right. When your wrong you learn and buy them a pint :)

Just realised that Younger Son & family are coming next w/e, not the w/e after!

I do tend to forget how far into the month we have progressed - probably because theres no longer a payday to look forward to, and nothing particularly symbolic mark the regular passage of time.

Must get on with changing the spare room from a 'hobbies' area to a baby-safe bedroom!

Enjoy your time with your son's family Meg.  Seeing family is is always special.

Baby shower went off well.  RG and I started at 7am yesterday morning and finally sat down about 8pm yesterday evening!  Our daughter seemed to have a lovely time which was the aim but boy were we shattered by the end!  I had spent all day Friday baking for the shower so my back was sore to start with.  We were on coffee rota at church this morning so were able to get rid of all the leftover cake.  It was Harvest Festival so the church was full of Brownies and Cubs!  Luckily a friend helped with the washing up or I suspect that we would still be there now!!

Our daughter finishes work in two weeks time as the baby is due in six weeks.  We just cannot wait to meet her now!

Glad your baby shower went well, will be exciting once the little one arrives CP.

Hope you enjoy the upcoming visit of your grandchild Meg, I'm sure you will.  

Liked you post Clavain, good job it only cost you a pint.  🤗

Baby showers are becoming more and more common here it seems Meg.  They also seem to be becoming more and more involved.  It really was a bit of a headache to organise as I had never been to one myself so was flying by the seat of my pants a bit.  Along with the help of Google of course.  I am just glad that it is all over now I must admit.  I think that it will take a little getting over as it does not seem to have done my back any favours.  Just glad that the baby is not due for six weeks.  At least I have the chance to recover properly before she arrives.  I want to be able to really help our daughter on the final lead up and when the baby first arrives.

I am actually having a quiet afternoon and have my feet up in preparation for the second tennis semi-final from China.  The last werk or so has been so busy that I am glad of a bit of catch up time! 

We decided to reintroduce a monthly lunch club at our church to give the elderly and isolated somewhere to go once a month to meet others for a chat and healthy lunch.  Wednesday was our first lunch.  I spent all of Tuesday afternoon making a large quantity of sweet potato and mixed vegetable soup with a bit of help from RG with the preparation and mashing.  Wednesday saw us setting up, serving and clearing up in the chapter house attached to our church.  RG was especially great at welcoming people and chatting to a few of the elderly men who came along.  Whenever we have run such events in the past it has been mainly women who have come along.  It seems that when men are left on their own they find it more difficult to join in with things than women.  Wednesday seemed to be a great success so we are hoping for even bigger numbers next month.

Cp,  that's a lovely thing to arrange. My dad is on his own and though he is doing well, he would no doubt benefit from something like this. I think he sees it as charity, though, where my mum, in that situation, would have seen it as a chance to have a chat - and she would probably have baked you a cake. 

It is such a shame that gentlemen hold back from coming to these things.  They miss out.  RG and I took invitations out to certain people such as those who have been bereaved this year.  Two gentlemen came one of which is not a church goer.  RG already visits him every so often so he knew someone to start with and we all made sure that he was never on his own.  He seemed to really enjoy it and said that he intended coming next month.  Hopefully as word gets around the lunch will grow.

I think that generation of men were brought up not to show weakness. I'm only imagining, but I think they would maybe see it as more of a practical offering and be too proud to come unless directly invited, whereas we women are maybe more aware of the social side and would just welcome the opportunity to talk to people. It's really nice that you have made the effort to invite those men. I think the other thing that would stop people going would be the fear that everyone else would already know each other and no-one would welcome you. It stops me going to things on my own! You and RG approaching people and offering to look out for them will undoubtedly get them over that hurdle.

At my mum's funeral, the priest spoke to me and said that men often cope less well than women with the loss of a spouse. Luckily, my dad is doing quite well so far. We just switched his tv and broadband, so that's a new learning curve for him. I'm hoping to convert him to the wonders of catch up, especially as his package has a whole library of football he can enjoy. But I'm not hopeful that he will master the buttons. I'm trying to persuade him that I only learned to work mine by pressing buttons to see what happens, and he can always press the back button. But I fear he might stay lost to the world of the Champions League back catalogue.

That is exactly the problem we have with RG's mum.  She has been on her own for a couple of years now and is completely reliant on RG and I.  When she was first on her own she could not even turn the telly on!  We had so many phone calls about the telly and as it is her only outlet it was a big worry.  In the end RG ordered her a new telly with a built in freeview box.  At least now she can watch Drama and ITV 3 to her hearts content.  We have given up trying to get her out now.  She has not been out since our daughter's wedding last year.  She refused to come to the baby shower.  When we suggested a day centre or something similar she flatly refused!

1 hour ago, cherrypie said:

That is exactly the problem we have with RG's mum.  She has been on her own for a couple of years now and is completely reliant on RG and I.  When she was first on her own she could not even turn the telly on!  We had so many phone calls about the telly and as it is her only outlet it was a big worry.  In the end RG ordered her a new telly with a built in freeview box.  At least now she can watch Drama and ITV 3 to her hearts content.  We have given up trying to get her out now.  

I can empathise. We recently updated to from our 20 year old sky digital to sky q and my father was very unhappy about the change. I might come home and find audio description accidentally put on.

He hasn't complained about it in 2 weeks so I guess it is better.

My mother meanwhile has a great hang of it I think. 

RG does all his mum's banking, bill paying and shopping for her online.  She has never even used a debit card unfortunately.  We just thank heavens for the internet as she lives 25 miles away from us.

I live with my father and I am now officially his carer.  I lived with him when my mum died but was not his carer and he was left to figure it out on his own.  He learnt to cook, although now my brother does the cooking, he now can't be bothered getting his shirts ironed but taught himself how to iron them, he can find his own car keys, do his own laundry and cleans up after himself.  He still can't figure out the Sky TV and professes not to know how to use his iPad.  Or his computer or mobile telephone.  He manages, however, very well betting online using mobile/computer but not iPad so methinks that 'the lady doth protest too much'.  He's 82 now and does need a carer from time to time so he does get a certain amount of leeway, especially since I live in his house and he does help with the chores.  He generally doesn't get out by himself any more and I received a very frosty reception to a suggestion a couple of years ago that he join the Salvation Army for a three course cooked lunch for 'people his own age'.  I saw what he meant later though, when we accidentally went into the dining hall looking for a volunteer to make a donation to.

I am afraid that I have given up trying to figure out how to work the TV using the Amazon Prime Firestick we bought last Christmas (having had to rearrange the furniture just to get the WiFi signal to reach it). It seems like too much fiddling about for too little reward.

Have also found my mobie phone more trouble than it's worth - and it's only a simple pay as you go one.

Nor can I use the scanner on the printer I got for last Christmas - there's a 300+ page manual online, but nothing I can actually have in front of me while I do what is necessary.

Somewhere i have a photoframe that would show all my photos on a loop, if I could figure it out, and if I hadn't sold my old computer with the memory stick still in situ.

I know I don't make the best use of any of the technological devices my kids have given me over the years, and am praying that Santa doesn't bring me any more this year!

I have also stopped asking my kids to sort them all out, I don't see them often enough to spend the time they are here fiddling about with all that stuff. 

Disappointing weekend.

Younger Son and family were due to visit, but rang this morning to say that they were all set to leave when they discovered that there was engineering works on the tracks between them and us, and the trains were being replaced by buses. As they couldn't be sure that they could get seats, or get the baby's buggy  & other paraphenalia on the bus - and  the journey would take 4hours (to be repeated on the return journey tomorrow) they cried off.

Hoping to have more success next w/e, although not sure what we will be eating as I've a really busy week & may not be able to get to the right shops for the ingredients I want. :( 

Have been reading all the posts with interest, sorry the visit with your grandchild is postponed Meg,

Luna, your Father seems to be able to help quite a bit and also do things for himself.  Dave and I rely quite a bit on our daughter for help but try not to overburden her as she works full-time.  My biggest challenge is mobility and not having the same strength I used to have.  I shampooed the carpet in the family room with our steam cleaner and that finished me off for the day, and going down and up the basement stairs to do laundry is a bit of a challenge, still have a bit of trouble with the arm I injured in the Spring.  Dave can do small tasks like loading and unloading the dishwasher and can make a meal, doesn't seem to do much reading now as he says he has difficulty concentrating sometimes but he has a good supply of DVD's which he enjoys watching so between us and help from our daughter we seem to manage not too badly. He will be 87 this year and I'm a little way behind him.   He is not interested in joining anything but that's not a change as he never was a joiner so if I was to depart before him he would just stay home as usual although he still drives and does some errands.  I do all the appointment arranging and anything along the secretarial line.  No ironing though, we both dress in user friendly clothes which can be taken out of the dryer when warm and any wrinkles shaken out, no dress shirts or  fancy material that needs special attention and special occasion clothes are always hanging ready in the closet.  I seem to be going on and on here so will sign off now.

Getting close to Halloween so let me tell you a spooky story!  Our son, Neil, now lives with his family in Yellowknife, Northern Canada, approximately 2000 plus miles from where we live.  He is now 51.  When he was a youngster he was very involved in track and was a fast runner.  One of his school races was photographed many years ago by a local newspaper and a photo of him crossing the finish line found its way into a classmate's year book and from there onto Facebook a couple of years ago.  I saw it and photocopied it.  Yesterday I was looking for an address and this picture popped out of my address book, made me feel a bit sad and nostalgic so I found a frame for this raggedy piece of paper and put it on the table beside Dave's day bed.  Later the same day I went on Facebook to catch up on everyone's news and Neil had just changed his profile picture.....it was the very same picture I had found that afternoon!   How about that for a really weird coincidence?  I thought for a moment that I was just seeing things, was a bit creeped out by it.  Why would he just happen to post it the same day I had discovered it by accident?  ESP anyone?:teeth:

Edited by momac