Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

On the verge of knocking off work for a week. Sadly, no rest for the wicked (and there are times when I think I must have been especially evil at some point...) as I'm not off for a rest but to move house!

The removal men are due to arrive on Friday and we are running short of boxes. Edgar is helping out by unpacking a lot of his toys. Nearly all the furniture we don't want has gone to good homes, although we have a glass fronted book case with a big crack in the top we'd rather not keep but I'm not sure what to do with...

Anyway, unlikely to be around much for the next few days. See you on the other side!

a mini carnation, beautifully scented, a

This would be what we know as a Garden Pink, latin name dianthus plumarius, its big, showy but unscented cousin the Carnation is dianthus caryophtllus, and the Sweet William, dianthus barbatus is another cousin.

I love the Pinks, but never had much success with them in our last house. Don't know if it was the clay soil they didn't like, or the competition from the perennial weeds. I only had one that survived, a vanilla scented variety called Rose de Mai, which grew in a south facing spot by the front door. When it was in flower opening the door on a hot day was like walking into a bowl of warm custard  :D

I rooted some cuttings and brought them with me, and am looking forward to enjoying that same scent in my garden here.

Good luck with the move Gram.

If needed I can recommend a good local firm for plumbing & general building services

Good luck with the move Gram.  So, it's Sussex by the sea I take it.   Wish it was us!  (Didn't take long to sell your house did it).

Once the weather warms up Meg we'll plant the little carnation outside near the front of the house, Garden Pink, thanks for the name you know it by.  The scent is really wonderful, I have it on the windowsill nearest my chair.  We have perennial Pinks in the small garden at the front of the house and they come up faithfully each year.  Right now the daffodil bulbs are up about 6 inches, the last big snowfall we had about ten days ago covered everything up again but the daffs fought back bravely. Spring is a bit slow but that's the way it usually is here.

I spent a happy few moments in the biting cold this morning cutting my daffodils and bringing them into the house.  I don't normally do this but they were crushed by the tiny abount of snow we had this week and the ones in the pots nearest the house didn't stand up again. So we have them in two vases in the house this year.  Daffodils are my very favourite flower!  That was the extent of the gardening for me today, it's baltic.

I don't blame you for bringing them in Luna, the weather here is grim. It is really cold with a cold wind and is tipping down at the moment. I have not long been in from the Lent course at church and have not warmed up yet. The walk home was pretty miserable. It is now really dark too so it feels more like January than the end of March. Luckily I have some cooking to do this afternoon, I certainly do not fancy going back out again. Once the cooking is done I may catch up on a bit of reading!

Good luck with the move Gram.

Quote: On the verge of knocking off work for a week. Sadly, no rest for the wicked (and there are times when I think I must have been especially evil at some point...) as I'm not off for a rest but to move house!

The removal men are due to arrive on Friday and we are running short of boxes. Edgar is helping out by unpacking a lot of his toys. Nearly all the furniture we don't want has gone to good homes, although we have a glass fronted book case with a big crack in the top we'd rather not keep but I'm not sure what to do with...

Anyway, unlikely to be around much for the next few days. See you on the other side!)

The place you move to Gram, will it be nearer to your employment and is better, nicer, more convenient etc. than where you currently live.

Edited by megustaleer

My first hedgehog last week and now they are out of hibernation a little worrying since now seems to be going winter temperatures.

Meal worm and water still will put out.

I was very surprised this morning to find that I could not get on to BGO.  Having logged on this afternoon I see why not, the site looks completely different.  I suspect that everything works in the same way but I am a little set in my ways I am afraid so it is going to take me a while to get used to the new look.

This is the only place I could find today to echo cp's remarks about the site today.  What's going off?  Perplexed.

I think we were getting inundated with Spam and realized we had to do some upgrades to stop it.  And those always change the way everything looks.  And for me, it always takes a long time to get used to whatever the new look is.

Wow!  Glad someone else is having trouble.  Just returned from a few days away on a dancing holiday and wondered if I had problems with my computer because I could not get on in the usual way.  I have had to Google the site to get this far.  Those spammers are a scourge of the internet!!!

18 minutes ago, Barblue said:

Wow!  Glad someone else is having trouble.  Just returned from a few days away on a dancing holiday and wondered if I had problems with my computer because I could not get on in the usual way.  I have had to Google the site to get this far.  Those spammers are a scourge of the internet!!!

Had trouble trying to find how to reply, quite a different set up!

Wow, what a difference!  It's going to take me a while to get to know the place again. 

I seem to have lost all of my friends from my profile.  Which is fine but David was the very first one and I do care about that.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Something to add

Another forum I use, uses the same software and updated earlier so I've got a good headstart on this :)

It took a little bit of time but it does.

Tags show on the mobile version, which they didn't do so earlier.

Had trouble figuring out how to reply to a topic and I'm with you Tag, in my case I don't adapt  easily to change.  :help:

Still not sure about the new format I must admit.  I too seem to have list all my friends and am not sure how to get them back!  I will have to ask RG to have a look at the site with me methinks, he is usually much better with these things than I am.  I suspect that I may need to adjust some of my settings too, I seem to be getting far more posts than I did before.

On a lighter note.  I had an old friend come for lunch today whom I have not seen for 15 years!  She was my bridesmaid at my and RG's wedding and is our son's godmother.  I do not really know why we lost touch but it was lovely to see her again.  She was here for over four hours and we talked nonstop!  It was as if we only saw each other yesterday.  We have promised each other that we will not leave it 15 years before we get together again.

In the garden yesterday and today.  We neglected to lift the dhalias and left them in pots over-winter.  Amazingly when I went to clear the pots out today.  Only one of sixteen plants had not survived.  So they were planted in a sunny border. 

I did a 2 hour cycle. Highlights being

- failing miserably when a person was looking for a place

- causing hassle for a woman walking her dog as the dog slipped their head out of their collar when they saw me coming up struggling up a hill (I think the dog and the person went as fast as me up the hill). To avoid causing further bother, I changed my intended route at the nearby crossroads as after I stopped and waited, facing away from the dog and then after a couple of minutes walked up the remainder of the hill, the woman and her dog were going straight on

Off to my U3A singing group shortly, then more work in the garden.

I had a profitable weekend out there, for the most part, but ended on a disastrous note with a weed-killer accident. :yikes:

Much of this garden had ben taken over by Spanish bluebells, which have smothered most of the original planting. We have dug up & taken bags of them to the tip, but I was spraying less accessible clumps with Roundup, and at the very last moment, as the sprayer was almost empty I managed to spray a corner where I had planted lots of my favourites brought from my old garden.:cry:

Quick action with the hosepipe may have saved some of them - only time will tell.

Sorry to hear about the weedkiller incident Meg, I hope that it does not prove to be too awful!

RG and I have been to London for the day today.  It is the first day of a week off for RG and we had arranged to meet some friends for lunch at a little bistro just off Piccadilly Circus.  RG used to work with the lady a number of years ago and has kept in touch.  We met them for lunch at the same bistro this time last year and spent about four hours over lunch.  This year was even worse, nearly five hours.  They are a really lovely couple and it really was a lovely afternoon.

We walked to Green Park tube but as it was such a lovely evening decided to take a walk through the park instead of coming straight home.  We walked down to The Mall and into St James's Park and stood on the same bridge as we got engaged upon nearly 35 years ago!  It was beautiful in the spring evening sunshine.  We are glad to be home now with a cuppa in front of the tennis tired but happy!