what is everyone doing?

Sideshow Meg

Sounds like you've landed in Paradise Kerry, how lovely it all sounds.  You certainly won't be short of fruit and orchids in the yard, marvellous.  Hope you make a success out of your domino art, not sure what it is but sounds interesting.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megustaleer

• Hazel

• lunababymoonchild

• momac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, Kerry, you make it sound so idyllic that i am almost there with you.  So pleased for you.  

I love it that over in the States you call it a yard.  When I think of a yard I imagine a small space behind a small terraced house that is totally concreted over - which is what a yard is in the UK.  What you have is a glorious back garden or even an orchard!   :love:

Oh, Kerry, you make it sound so idyllic that i am almost there with you. So pleased for you.

I love it that over in the States you call it a yard. When I think of a yard I imagine a small space behind a small terraced house that is totally concreted over - which is what a yard is in the UK. What you have is a glorious back garden or even an orchard! :love:

That's what I was thinking of too. It does sound idyllic.

I had a clean bill of health at the dentist today, for the first time in two years.

My father is slightly under the weather.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Sorry your father is not feeling too good Luna.

Coincidentally, I too have been to the dentist today.  The front part of one of my back teeth had broken off a couple of months ago (probably caused by something they put in my mouth when I had anaesthetic for surgery) and I'd been putting it off until I could cope with it all.  Anyway, it all went better than expected and I now have a whole tooth again.

But the best bit of the day for me has been a visit to our local museum.  I have been to see something I thought I would never see - a First Folio of Shakespeare's plays.  Apparently it is on loan from a local prestigious school for the summer to celebrate Shakespeare's 400th anniversary.  This means that we have in one room at one time A First, Second, Third and Fourth Folio of Shakespeare's work (our museum already owns the other three Folios.  What amazed me the most was how large they are.  I've always imagined they were normal book size, but these are almost coffee table size books.  Wonderful.  :love:

But the best bit of the day for me has been a visit to our local museum.  I have been to see something I thought I would never see - a First Folio of Shakespeare's plays.

I saw one of these this week too! I was in Mount Stuart house on the Isle of Bute, the seat of the Marquis of Bute. It was recently "discovered": they are slightly cagey about how they could have not known they had it, but it does look as if they were being careful about when they released the news.

I saw one of these this week too! I was in Mount Stuart house on the Isle of Bute, the seat of the Marquis of Bute. It was recently "discovered": they are slightly cagey about how they could have not known they had it, but it does look as if they were being careful about when they released the news.

Did it take your breath away too Mm.  I just stood in awe for several minutes.  I can now cross this off my list of "Things to see and do before......".  

Oh, Kerry, you make it sound so idyllic that i am almost there with you.  So pleased for you.  

I love it that over in the States you call it a yard.  When I think of a yard I imagine a small space behind a small terraced house that is totally concreted over - which is what a yard is in the UK.  What you have is a glorious back garden or even an orchard!   :love:

I know! Over here, a garden is a patch of land where you plant flowers or herbs or veggies.

I have been watching Roland Garros - clay court tennis - this last week and am impressed by the standard of play and the amount of rain!

Andy Murray is through to the next round - I'm sure there was much shouting at the TV in the Cherrypie household.  It went to 5 sets - as is Djokovic.  It's Andy's best chance this year with Rafa Nadal having to withdraw and Roger Federer not entering.

I've been watching the French Open too Luna, our fellow is out of it now, he didn't make it past the 4th round.  Murray had his work cut out in a few of the matches he has played but he always digs deep and finds the necessary strength to win.  I watched his match with Gasquet yesterday and Gasquet played really well for the first couple of sets and then seemed to run out of steam, Murray just mowed him down.  Maybe it's his year to win the title.

Rainy and cool here today, I really do like the cooler weather, the heat just knocks the stuffing out of me, a temp around 23, 24 C is perfect for me.  

We are confined to quarters today as my father is feeling a little unwell and I'm not too bothered, even although the sun is shining and it's pleasantly warm.  Took the watering can around our plant pots this morning and did a few household chores and I'm exhausted!

Our new book arrived today (Mason Cross, The Samaritan, #2 in the Carter Blake trilogy) so we are seeing who can finish their current read first to get their hands on it.

Just said goodbye to our gorgeous granddaughters (6 and 4) after spending a wonderful four days with them (and their daddy).  We've had lots of sunny weather so been on the beach building sandcastles (for them to demolish) riding in a pony and pink princess carriage along the Blackpool sea front, riding bikes in the park and lots of romps in the garden and in the barn (dance room).  We are exhausted and bereft at the moment.  I think as the weather is still so lovely we might be reading in the garden today (after we've put the house straight and fone out for lunch of course).

Spent today at Trent Bridge watching the Outlaws win  their first match this season in a very close match. On holiday next week and spending many days at Trent Bridge. Cricket heaven :)

I went with my mother to my cousin's funeral in Mt. Dora, Florida, which is a bit north of Orlando.  My cousin was only 60 and died of colon cancer.  My poor aunt has lost 2 of her 5 children.  The occasion was quite sad, but made better for me and my mother by seeing beloved relatives that we haven't seen for at least 10 years (and maybe 15).  It also seems that everyone I ever knew in Miami has moved to Mt. Dora and so I worked in 2 visits with friends from my childhood who I hadn't seen for at least 30 years.  One was the daughter of family friends who is exactly my age.  We had kept up with each other through our families (and then through Facebook), but we startled ourselves by realizing that we hadn't seen each other for almost 40 years!  It was so nice to see her again. The other one was my absolute best friend as a little girl.  She lived 2 houses down and we were constantly together until her father ripped us apart to move her to Ohio.  She moved around a lot of after that and we would periodically get in touch and then lose each other again.  We had both been searching for each other and she found me the moment I joined facebook.  It was great to see her again.

Mt. Dora is an adorable little town and now I know why everyone moves there.  The central part of Florida has numerous lakes (caused by the same limestone geology that produces those sinkholes that appear to eat houses, cars, and even people sometimes) and Mt. Dora is on the high land that in no way can be described as a mountain right next to one of the lakes.  Very pretty.

Sounds like a  good time was had by all even though the purpose of the trip was solemn and sad.  It's nice to catch up with people you haven't seen in a while and sometimes it feels as if you just carry on the friendship as if you'd never been apart.

Sixty seem very young to die and it must be very sad for the family, particularly your aunt. It would do her good to see you and your mother.

A few minutes to spare. And what better way that popping in to say 'hi' to everyone. I've been busy with other things recently, and haven't even been motivated to read much - which is a terrible realisation. The truth is that most of my spare time is still taken up with butterflies, either photographing them, or trying to identify them afterwards.

A friend has suggested that I write a story for children, with butterflies as characters, such as: Axehead Skipper, Striped Policeman, Painted Lady, Apricot Playboy, Dusky Blue. The trick will be not stereotyping them.

So, that little idea has been planted in the garden at the back of my mind, to slowly grow.

Good luck with the children's story Ting, sounds like a lovely idea.  Nice to see you on here.   Hope the writing proceeds well and would like to see the finished product.  

A friend has suggested that I write a story for children, with butterflies as characters, such as: Axehead Skipper, Striped Policeman, Painted Lady, Apricot Playboy, Dusky Blue. The trick will be not stereotyping them.

So, that little idea has been planted in the garden at the back of my mind, to slowly grow.

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea.  I hope the idea grows quickly.

Thanks for feedback everyone. Makes me want to jettison current commitments and start writing right now. But I won't.

Anyway, I'm hoping everyone is okay and scheduled for a satisfactory summer. We're sort of into winter, but I'm not sure it knows that yet.

Oh - and our UK friends have an important vote coming up soon. So may it go well for you, whichever side you are on.

Was planting some ground cover to get it to spread on a bare patch under the big maple, it is periwinkle and I was thinking of Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet to her) when she bragged about her Royal ' Doolton' tea set with the blue periwinkle design. I loved that show with her long suffering husband, haven't seen many re-runs lately.