Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

In that case Ting, I hope those you train benefit greatly from your knowledge.  :)

In that case Ting, I hope those you train benefit greatly from your knowledge.   :)

So do I, momac, so do I. Because, for the next six months I will be overseeing the script writing process from back at home. So the better he/she/they are by the time I leave, the easier - and more enjoyable - the results will be.

Started a second round of culling my bookshelves this evening.

I'm concentrating on the paperbacks at the moment as they are mostly upstairs, and I'm intending to Freecycle the two bookcases in the spare bedroom later in the week.

The complete set of Dickens will have to go from the sitting-room soon, but they are hardbacks (green covers with gold decoration, looking  very elegant on the bookshelves), and heavy. They will require a special trip just to the charity bookshop, which Mr meg will consider a wasted journey.

He hasn't started on his books yet :(

How did you manage after the flood Meg, did it do any or much damage?

How did you manage after the flood Meg, did it do any or much damage?

Fortunately no.

The water only covered half the floor, and at the deepest was probably no more than 1/2 inch. Everything had to be moved to the dry side (including all those heavy boxes of fabric that I sorted and packed away last year), and we had to do a of of mopping. It has rained heavily since, with no further sign of water in there - must just have been the exceptional quantity of rain in such a short time. It has happened once before,  20 or more years ago, - so long ago that I had forgotten.

Luckily our buyers were not too worried - they said that they could cope with an event that happens once in 20 years, and were happy to be forewarned.

We have yet to move everything in the cellar back where it came from - I need the space for temporary storage of things that are to be Freecycled, or taken to the charity shops - currently they are spread around the house.

Things are not going well on the property hunting front. Nothing much has come on the market in the last two months - except one that was all but perfect, about ten days ago. Unfortunately, although we offered the asking price it was rejected because we had an incomplete chain. It was incomplete on the Saturday when made the offer, but complete on the Monday, when it was too late and another offer had been accepted :( :(

So sorry Meg that your offer fell through, however, a better property may come on the market soon.  Sounds as though you have a lot of moving of around to take care of, must keep you hopping.  Things have a way of falling into place so take heart.  :)

The Moonchild household were up most of the night - well I was up a wee while - because Lunabrother is very not well.  Tentative diagnosis of gallstones and now that he's found a comfy place to sit he doesn't want to move.  Lunapapa isn't too well himself having some form of urinary tract infection and a cold so could well have done with a full night's sleep.  I'm Last Man Standing, or Last Moon Standing I suppose. 

Sympathies to lunas brother&papa - I have had both complaints and neither are nice. Hope you remain healthy in spite of playing the part of ministering angel to those suffering around you.

Hope all is well soon at your household Luna, stay healthy yourself, make sure you make up for your lack of sleep, maybe a nap or early to bed.  :)

Sorry to hear about the health worries in the luna household.  Hope all recover very soon. 

Glad to hear the mini-flood has not put off your prospective buyers Meg.  Having moved house several times I know how stressful it all is as well as hard physically with all the sorting and packing.  Hope you find somewhere you both like very soon and get it all over and done with so that you can start to settle into your new life.

We have just returned from a trip by rail to Lake Garda in Italy.  Stopped off in Paris on the way out and in Colmar on the way back, spending a week at the Lake where the temperature ranged from 25c to 30c the whole time - something we have not had all year in Lancashire.  Had a wonderful time even if, for me, it was a little too hot at times.

Home to Lancashire, to grey sky and rain!! Back to reality really.

Conscience and the fine weather of this last week caused me, in a burst of enthusiasm, to wash three sets of curtains.("conscience" because I'd agreed on the seller's form from the solicitor to leave the curtains, and to leave the place clean - well, as clean as I can manage).

Unfortunately, hauling them down and into the washing machine, heaving them on and off the clothesline, and ironing them, has put rather a strain on my injured wrists, and they are very painful this evening.

Just when I thought they were almost recovered. :(

Conscience and the fine weather of this last week caused me, in a burst of enthusiasm, to wash three sets of curtains.("conscience" because I'd agreed on the seller's form from the solicitor to leave the curtains, and to leave the place clean - well, as clean as I can manage).

Unfortunately, hauling them down and into the washing machine, heaving them on and off the clothesline, and ironing them, has put rather a strain on my injured wrists, and they are very painful this evening.

Just when I thought they were almost recovered. :(

Sorry about your wrists Meg, they must be very heavy curtains, sort of sound like what we would call drapes if they are are heavy material.  You owe yourself a Sunday of doing absolutely nothing.

The left wrist isn't so bad today, I think the pain there is more in the hand - the arthritis in both hands has been playing up for a couple of weeks.

The right wrist is very painful, and I think It was the ironing that did the most damage. Holding the iron meant bending/turning my wrist in just the way the tendons/ligaments don't like.

I've done a few things in the last couple of weeks that have put too much strain on my hands & wrists - emptying cupboards, lifting things down from shelves, chopping vegetables and making jam.

Mr meg is stoning bullace as I sit here, so there's one more pan of jam to do. Then I will rest them for a while.

Glad you will get a little time to rest after your pan of jam although I have never heard of bullace, I'm sure everyone over that side of the Atlantic knows what it is though.

It's after midnight and I am bleary eyed from watching the first season of Broadchurch, a real nail biter, so many people could be the murderer and I knew it had to be a real shocker when it was revealed.  I did wonder if the D.I. would stay healthy enough to catch the culprit. :hmm:

I have never heard of bullace, I'm sure everyone over that side of the Atlantic knows what it is though.

Not many do. It's a wild plum, about the size of a damson. Some are purple, so I don't know how anyone can tell the difference, other than by the taste. Damsons have a distinctive flavour, but bullace just taste like a sour plum. They need a lot of sugar if using for a pie or crumble, but make a nice sharp jam.

We had a couple of them in the 'orchard' that we sold off when it got to be too much work for us, and our next door neighbour has one (presumably all from the same original). I missed ours, so bought a Shepherd's  Bullace, which has slightly bigger fruit and is not quite so sharp.

They normally ripen in October, but both ours and our neighbour's had fruit ripe enough to pick a week a go, so  this summer's weather must have been right for them.

I hope your jam turns out really well, jam with a bit of a tart taste would be good as most seem to be quite sweet.  Must check the nurseries here and see if they have any, not that we'll be wanting to grow one as any fruit tree that requires quite a bit of care is maybe a bit beyond us now but just for interest sake.

Just popping in while I have power and signal to say I haven't abandoned BGO, just got a lot on my plate at the moment preparing for the next trip to Liberia.

Hoping everyone is okay and reading good books. I appear to have developed a habit of reading for a couple of hours in the middle of the night! Good for books, not so good for sleep.

Was looking for a song to follow on from the one Clavain posted and found myself way back in time to Sigmund Romburg's The Desert Song. I thought New Moon was a song from that but it seemed to be part of the title of the musical. Was thinking of all the marvellous music from musicals we never hear any more. I can remember my Mum singing songs from the musicals of her era and ones from The Desert Song were popular. Gordon McCrea and Kathryn Grayson were and are a couple of my favourites, not for me the frantic beat of some of today's pop songs, I always like the ballad type music better - thank goodness for You Tube! I know, I know, my age is showing.????

Edited by momac

RG and I have completely lost track of what everyone has been doing in our absence from BGO I am afraid. Things are beginning to calm down here a bit at last and normal life is starting to reappear. Although we do still have sad times and will continue to do so for some time I suspect we are starting to laugh again.

On Saturday we actually managed a short trip out using our National Trust memberships. We went to Claydon House which was used in the recent film of Far From The Madding Crowd. Although fairly small there was still plenty to see and it was well worth the visit. It was just lovely to do something so normal again.

Due to all that has been going on neither of us has managed much in the way of reading. I have been plodding through Daniel Deronda by George Eliott. Although it has taken me a long time to read I have been enjoying it. The end is in sight now so I will make sure that I make a final post when I finish. We hope that all is good with everyone on BGO. Hopefully we can now start to catch up a bit and start to contribute again.

Welcome back CP - you probably haven't missed a lot of chatter, some reviews, maybe as the winter days come in there will be a lot more activity on BGO.  Glad things are easing off for you a bit. 

Welcome back CP - you probably haven't missed a lot of chatter, some reviews, maybe as the winter days come in there will be a lot more activity on BGO.  Glad things are easing off for you a bit.

Thanks Momac. Things are calming down considerably although we have an unplanned visit to make today. While away from BGO and me being home much more of late we decided to adopt a stray cat from a local centre. We have had him for three weeks now and he seems to be settling in well. When we went to RG's Mum's yesterday we left him out as it was a lovely day and he loves the garden. Unfortunately by the time we came home I noticed a little blood on his fur around the neck area. On closer inspection it could be seen that he had a small wound which was still bleeding slightly. Overnight he seems to have developed a small lump so we will be off to the vets! He is a dear little thing and really friendly considering the rough time he has had of late, he was taken in as a stray and then spent two and a half months in a pen at the centre. He is getting used to being fed regularly now and loves to be made a fuss of, something he gets plenty of here!

Hope the cat's injury isn't anything serious, CP.

I'm a bit fed up today as we have just had our offer on another bungalow rejected. We only have a small chain, but any chain at all seems to be a problem these days :(

Hope your kitty will be o.k. CP, nice to have a little furry animal to keep you company.  

Meg, I hope the house hunting is successful despite another setback.