Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

So sorry for your loss, my condolences. Will be thinking of you.

Very sorry CA and RG. It's always too soon to lose a beloved parent, no matter how frail.

Belatedly celebrated my big birthday again today by getting together for lunch with two old friends who were born in the same month of the same year - plus another, slightly younger, friend. It's twenty years since some of us met last.

We made tentative plans for another reunion in five years (we thought ten might be pushing our luck!)

I hope your get togther was lots of fun, lots to talk about, memories to share and probably a really nice time was enjoyed by all of you.

Today was a gardening day.  The whole day would have been devoted to gardening but someone who had popped to Homebase to get some compost managed to lock his car keys in the car.  And had to spend two hours travelling to and from home to get his spare keys...

So, half a day gardening.  We moved a lot of plants, divided a lot of plants, dug up a lot of old plants and planted a lot of new plants.  When I say we, I mean me.  I was the labour, my wife was the garden designer!

I was the labour, my wife was the garden designer!

Exactly the way things should be. 

I'm with Binker on that. 

We were at our favourite coffee shop when they told us it was closing down!  Oh no.  The only other coffee shop that can make my favourite Flat White is in Irvine, which is an hour's drive away.

Thanks for the link Luna, haven't ever had one and probably won't if it is a very strong coffee, strong caffeine doesn't agree with me, but our daughter would probably like it.

It seems cafes have a longer coffee menu than a food menu sometimes :)

But I am a tea drinker so I don't have to try to manoeuvre through the lexicons of the coffee makers

Now that I think about it, it may be more laziness than anything else :) .

Edited by iff

Well I just got finished playing with my girls throwing the Frisbee. If you live in North Carolina, right now these days are perfect for kite flying and Frisbee throwing. Thank God they are in for a nap now I get to come and play on my computer. FREE--FREE. YEP FREE.

Today, I had a meeting in Ft. Worth and so played a little bit of hooky from work and went to see an exhibit that will be leaving the Kimbell Art Museum soon entitled "From Boticelli to Braque: Masterpieces from the National Galleries of Scotland." It was a terrific exhibition--those of you in Scotland are very fortunate to have such great art generally close at hand (although not right this minute).  My favorites were:

"The Old Woman Cooking Eggs" by Velasquez, which I learned about almost 40 years ago during my summer in Spain, but had never seen.

"The Skating Minister" by Sir Henry Raeburn (I was particularly taken with the detailed strappings of the skates onto his shoes).

"Lady Agnew of Lochnaw" by John Singer Sargent

The self-portrait of Ron Weasley (actually, David Wilkie--if you saw it, you'd see what I am talking about. It's the one in the National Gallery of Scotland).

Just back from Liberia. What an amazing country. What dynamic people. Two days after I arrived WHO declared the country ebola free. Nevertheless all precautionary health measures are still in place: people do not touch as they greet, hands are disinfected before entering any public building, shop, hotel, etc., temperatures are taken on entering and leaving the country (also at Nairobi and Lusaka airports). My temperature on leaving Monrovia is now a permanent feature of my passport - a very clever, simple tracking method. Am going back next month for a couple of weeks to do follow-up training.

Sounds like you had an interesting time Ting.  About the only thing I know about Liberia is that a lot of merchant shipping is Liberian registered, not sure why and have never investigated to find out.  What does your training involve?

Distance Learning by radio, momac, using a technique developed by Johns Hopkins many years ago. It is amazingly effective if done correctly and with a large dose of entertainment (drama, storytelling, etc.)

Distance Learning by radio, momac, using a technique developed by Johns Hopkins many years ago. It is amazingly effective if done correctly and with a large dose of entertainment (drama, storytelling, etc.)

Sounds really interesting Ting, hope it is useful for you in your work.