Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

I've been tackling the overgrown wilderness that we call a garden this morning.  I've been putting it off for various sound reasons: it's been too hot (most days have been 25° plus with full sun this summer)/ too wet/ we've had guests and I've had to entertain them/ I'm researching a book/I'm reading a book... but when the undergrowth started interferring with opening the full length shutters I realised I had to do something.  Luckily my battery operated strimmer needs recharging after 25 minutes so that's the gardening done for the day.

Thank heavens for books and tennis which are helping keep me sane at the moment, I must have been reading about three books, jumping from one to the other, anything to take my mind away for a while.  When I have a nap I sleep for a couple of hours, which is really unusual so must be tired in body as well as mind.   :(

Thank heavens for books and tennis which are helping keep me sane at the moment, I must have been reading about three books, jumping from one to the other, anything to take my mind away for a while.  When I have a nap I sleep for a couple of hours, which is really unusual so must be tired in body as well as mind.   :(

I remember that effect, momac. You just keep conking out during the day and remain asleep far longer than you would usually. Perhaps it's nature's way in helping us cope?

My thoughts and prayers are with you momac.  Just let nature take it's course.  Was is Freud who said that sleep was natures way of healing our mental condition as well s our physical?  Something like that anyway. 

We discovered a new dance venue last week in Harrogate.  Mr. Bb found it on he web and we decided to give it a try.  It is in an hotel so we got there early and had a really lovely bar lunch before the tea dance started.  Lovely large floor with an organist for the dance music.  Not the best organist in the world, but the few 'bum' notes he played gave us a laugh and added to the enjoyment in a funny way.  We met some lovely people, some of whom were also there for the first time.  Not all from Harrogate either, some from Doncaster and some from Newcastle (not vast distances by USA standards, but quite far enough in the UK).  it was a lovely afternoon out and we hope to repeat it again next month.

Thanks for the kind words Brightphoebus and BB.

Nice that you found a new dance venue BB, always great to meet some new people, you are lucky in the hobby you have, music and dancing combined, great way to spend a nice afternoon.

I have been thinking about you a great deal, momac.  I think sleeping is nature's way of helping you cope with the unbearable.  I slept almost constantly when my father died.  I think it gives your mind time to process.  

I have been thinking about you a great deal, momac.  I think sleeping is nature's way of helping you cope with the unbearable.  I slept almost constantly when my father died.  I think it gives your mind time to process.

You're probably right Binker, Brightphoebus and BB, it's good to not have to think for a while. There really is no mental pain which compares, just have to have patience and hope that time dulls the grief. So grateful for all the kind words and thoughts.

I got a Sony Cybershot camera two or three years back for Christmas or birthday, can't remember which, and the instructions for its use were on a disc.  Didn't download the disc, played around with various buttons etc. and couldn't get it to work so it has been sitting up in the computer room since then.  Today put the disc into the computer, it downloaded data but can't find where it is so phoned the company to get written instructions and they said I can get these from their website. Found the Manual and decided to print it off as I couldn't see searching through the manual on the computer every time I needed to know something.  Started to print it - 141 pages - no wonder they didn't send written instructions.  Anyway have printed some and will get to the others at some other time.  I thought it would be a good distraction but it was just annoying.  It probably tells me more than I would ever want to know.  Will have at it again soon (I think).  I think I will just go and have an afternoon nap. ;)

We have the DVD's of Last Tango in Halifax, I heard that it was a popular series in the U.K. so we go it from the library, so will have a gander at that one evening.

I tried to download the instructions for our spinkler system (changing the number of waterings per day and the length of the waterings).  It was un-understandable.  We called the sprinkler company and they guy came out and he said that I was not the first customer to whom that happened.  He finally sat down with the instructions himself and concluded they were useless.  I hope that doesn't happen to you, Momac.  

Binker, this camera is really tiny and from the length of the manual you would think you could film a full length movie on it.  Plus I think probably the re-chargeable battery which is currently in there needs re-charging.  I thought it would be nice if I could get photos, store them on my computer and be clever like others who take great shots then show them on BGO.  Time will tell if I have the smarts to figure it out.  Will give me a project anyway.

When I got my mobile phone two years ago I to ran off the manual from the website - 185 pages - but have to admit that it has been useful both initially and occasionally since.  Mind you, there is still an awful lot about my mobile that I do not access and feel I never will.  I too have a Cybershot and  love it, although I don't use it as much as I used to because I have a better camera in my mobile!!!

Apparently we had a month's worth of rain in an hour this afternoon. There was certainly a lot of it, and our not-quite-a-cellar (just three steps down from ground level) flooded. Once we'd moved all the various boxes and finished mopping up I added flooding to the property information forms waiting to go to our solicitor.

I wonder if that's the end of our house-sale?  :cry:

And after I'd spent the morning giving the upstairs a good clean because our prospective buyer wants to bring his parents for a look round :rant:

Oh, no, meg.  I hope it's not the end of the house sale.  Surely they will know that you received rains of Biblical proportions.  Has it ever flooded before?

That's not very good Meg, but if it clears up quickly and the water drains away it may not cause a problem with your house sale.

Has it ever flooded before?

Once in the time we've been here - about 20 years ago.

I had actually forgotten all about that, although it was traumatic at the time. Since then I have never stood anything directly on the floor, but do it so automatically now that I had forgotten the reason.

It doesn't drain away, Momac, it would seep into the walls, add to the general problem we have with damp & eventually rot the timbers if we didn't mop it up.

Oh the joys of living in a C17 house! I'm hoping the next one will be a modern, warm, dry box with no dust-gathering ledges!

So sorry to hear about your flooding Meg.  I do hope the prospective buyers can look past yesterdays unusual weather and see a way round it. 

This is the Friday before a long weekend and my office and phone is pretty silent.  That has enabled me to post a bunch of reviews of books that I read while I was too busy to post.  Now I'm going to clean up my office and prepare for a course I foolishly agreed to teach beginning in January.  I'm team teaching it and my co-instructor and I have agreed that we appear to have gotten in way over our heads.  

This is the Friday before a long weekend and my office and phone is pretty silent.  That has enabled me to post a bunch of reviews of books that I read while I was too busy to post.  Now I'm going to clean up my office and prepare for a course I foolishly agreed to teach beginning in January.  I'm team teaching it and my co-instructor and I have agreed that we appear to have gotten in way over our heads.  

Good luck anyway Binker, maybe the challenge will be exciting!

Am sitting in a hotel in Monrovia, waiting to watch the Liberia-Tunisia CAF Nations Cup qualifier football match. Unfortunately, this is the rainy season and there is a rain storm that started in the night and it's not showing much inclination to stop. Coming up from Zambia, which hasn't had any rain since March, it didn't occur to me to bring any wet weather clothes!

I was up-country visiting community radio stations on Thursday when Liberia was declared ebola free. Great happiness everywhere. Community radio stations had a crucial role during the crisis. I feel very privileged to be here at this time.

Just a quick note to explain RG's and my absence from the site of late. Unfortunately RG's Dad has been unwell of recent times and sadly passed away at home on Friday morning. Although we had been told thàt he probably would not be with us for very much longer our small family has been hit very hard. RG's Mum is quite elderly and fairly frail herself and as his brother lives in South Africa most of the organising will be left to RG so I doubt that he will have much spare time for a while. I will try to pop in from time to time but we do both hope to return to BGO eventually. As you can all imagine not much reading is being done by either of us at the moment.