Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Thanks Binker and MM. It's been a busy day with phone calls, arrangements, etc. Somehow the busyness keeps you going, it will be the quieter times where it will come crashing in. Our other son from Yellowknife arrived about 5 and it brought me a lot of comfort. Just have to try to manage each day at a time.

That is just horrible, momac. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Momac, I am so sorry to read about your loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with you at this very difficult time.

So pleased to hear what a great time you had on your birthday jaunt Meg.  Such a wonderful way to celebrate a special birthday.

We have now returned home from our week with our adorable granddaughters.  My fears of not being able to keep up with a 5 year old and 3 year old and cope if they got distressed about Mum and Dad not being there were all groundless.  We had a really wonderful week.  Well, it was actually four days, but we were still very tired if extremely happy at the end of it. In fact I think Mum and Dad had the hardest job being without their little girls.  We sent them pictures on their mobiles every day to let them know what they were doing and how much they were enjoying themselves but my son said it was still very hard not to phone up just to hear their voices.  I do hope we can do it again next year - provided we still have our health and strength.

Many, many thanks to all of you for your kind words.  It was Donald's funeral today and now that all the company has gone home it will take us some time to deal with the feelings of loss and terrible sadness.  However, life goes on and we have to try to cope.  Thanks again.  It's good to know that people care.

I've only just caught up with your distressing news, momac, and all my sympathy to you both and your family.  The loss and sadness must be unbearable.

Thanks Chuntzy, it's going to take a while for it to sink in that he's gone but we're managing as best we can.

Dear momac, I am around and thinking of you.

Not very active at the moment; trying to get things sorted out for a forthcoming consultancy in Liberia, but am popping in from time to time.

Hi Ting:  We're just staying quietly at home and trying to stay cool.  The weather is terribly hot (for us) 30C with a humidity factor added.  Just hot, wet heat but should cool down a bit at night.  We're in a bad place at the moment but hopefully the darkness will lift.  Thanks for your thoughts Ting.

Today we received, and have accepted, an offer on our house. As we hadn't put it on the market yet I am feeling rather shell-shocked.

Finding a buyer for our last house was difficult and we had to accept a lower offer than we really needed to buy this place, so I wasn't expecting things to happen so quickly.

Still, once it's in the hands of the  conveyancing solicitors things will probably slow down (and any way, we haven't found anywhere to move to)

Good news Meg, hope you find a place you like.  Now Mr. Meg really has to start sorting and moving his treasures!

Hello Greg, haven't heard from you before but you were probably around before I joined a couple of years ago.

Now Mr. Meg really has to start sorting and moving his treasures!

He had a fit of enthusiasm yesterday, and discarded 2/3 of the contents of one over-stuffed wardrobe. :arms:

Greg, you have been a busy boy, but I see you haven't found the Please Introduce Yourself thread yet. It would be good if you could make your way down there and tell us a bit about yourself so we can give you a thorough grilling welcome you properly. :wavey:

Busy weeknd for RG and I! We spent yesterday down at RG's parents managing to get them out of the house for the second time this year. RG's Dad is not strong now and only goes out if we take them. Luckily they have a very nice nursery near them with a comfortable cafe. They also provide wheelchairs for those in need to use. We spent a couple of very happy hours with them around the nursery shop and in the cafe. It is very comforting to know that places such as these are so well prepared for elderly visitors. There were many other elderly people accompanied by their families being helped around the nursery and the staff were nothing but friendly and helpful.

Today we made use of our National Trust membership once again and visited Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire. Lovely house and gardens. There is a stunning walled garden within the grounds which was worth the visit on it's own. We are home now feeling very weary and footsore having walked continually almost all day but very relaxed. These visits really are like stepping into another world. I suspect that we will be renewing our membership next year!

I have an infection. What exactly is infected has yet to be determined but I feel very lethargic and out of breath, and if I walk for longer than 2 minutes I get a sore back. Antibiotics have made a difference but I am also very vague. Test results next Friday, unless I get a 'phone call. Not happy at the moment - it's putting me off my paper cutting for one thing - but grateful that it's not more serious. My father is well so that's something.

Sorry lbmc.

I'm just getting over a cold myself, it started on monday afternoon and I've been poorly all week. Workwise, it was a week of my annual leave so it doesn't feel like I got any benefit from the week off, I still feel tired so that is a pity.

And due to the tiredness, didn't do as much reading as I'd have liked, about 300 pages in 7 days. Not great.

This is my second cold of the year, the first being when I was off for easter.

It seems so much worse to get ill during the summer when you feel you should be enjoying the summer weather. Hope both of you, Luna and iff, feel healthy soon.

We have sunny, hot weather but are staying indoors as much as possible because of the humidity and hiding too, hoping for happier thoughts and avoiding people. Have found a new mystery writer, R. J. McMillen, whose plots are centered around the coast of British Columbia and she describes places I know well as I stayed in Vancouver for 25 years and also mentions UBC where I took several courses. It was a nice distraction for me as it felt like a trip home.

Glad you had a good outing CP and RG. You'll be pleased about Andy winning the Rogers Cup in Montreal, beat Djokovic in three hard fought sets. Match took three hours.

Edited by momac

Sorry to hear that you have both been unwell Luna and Iff. Hopefully you will both be on the mend again soon. Glad that you have found something enjoyable to read at the moment Momac. I often find that as long as I am able to concentrate reading is often the best form of escape. I can understand your not wanting to go out at the moment for fear of having to talk to others. It often takes much courage to be able to do so.

RG and I watched the final of The Rogers Cup last night as neither of us are working this morning. As you can imagine Momac we were far from calm! The fifth game of the final set really did prove to be crucial although we found it almost as painful to watch as we did when watching him serve for The Wimbledon title two years ago! When he did finally win we felt as if we had played the match ourselves we were so excited. I really must learn to be a calmer fan! It is nic to see him back to the number two spot in the rankings this morning too. What with England winning The Ashes and Andy finally getting back to his best I am having a good sporting summer. Just need Andy to win The Us Open and Britain to win The Davis Cup and my joy will be complete! I am not asking for much of course!!