Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

It was really hot the day we were there, too, but I thought the tour was fascinating and the bridge and its location were beautiful.  We had a Croat tour guide who seemed to love his city more than his ethnic affiliation and so his comments were very interesting.  He was more candid than I would have expected.  

I had tried to prepare everyone in my family for the significance of the bridge and the complexity of the fights in the area, but my daughter said, "I wasn't expecting this to be so sad."  So I guess no one read my emails on the subject.

Yes, we just got back.  This is my first day back at work.  I'm somewhat jet-lagged, as you can imagine.  It was a great trip, though.  None of us can come up with something that was so much better than anything else and no one could name something we didn't need to have done.  Pretty great.

EXCEPT, not go in the summer. But with school schedules still dictating our vacations, we didn't really have a choice.  It was blistering hot when we visited Pula, Mostar, and Dubrovnik.  It was just very very very hot everyplace else we visited, including the Julian Alps, where it shouldn't have been all that hot.

We were disturbed shortly before midnight by a police helicopter circling the village. Woke this morning to find we are in the headlines for a double murder in a house just two streets away.

For years this area has had a very low record of crime, so we are all very shocked

We were disturbed shortly before midnight by a police helicopter circling the village. Woke this morning to find we are in the headlines for a double murder in a house just two streets away.

For years this area has had a very low record of crime, so we are all very shocked

That is shocking, you read about it in the paper and books but don't expect it to happen near home.

Although our north London neighbourhood is pleasant enough, it is not far from a much more violent area (in fact, the postcode boundary for that area is the end of the road we live on). In the past year, there has been a shooting near the childminder who used to look after Lady L junior until Lady L left work and a beheading only slightly further away.

To our urban based American cousins, this might seem quite mundane, but this actually marks it out as one of London's more violent areas. Like any great world city, however, to have our bit of dull suburbia nestled up against somewhere like this isn't unusual, I guess.

Beheadings are not mundane here at all.  

Shootings are obviously a bit more common, but--and this is bad--they occur almost exclusively in poorer neighborhoods.  So as long as you don't go into those neighborhoods, you are unlikely to witness or encounter someone pointing a gun at you.  Unfortunately, that makes it easy for people who live where I do to just ignore it and it means that the violence is very concentrated, so that some people live in extraordinarily violent areas.  Many of the people who live there end up feeling like they have to have a loaded gun to hand in order to defend themselves which inevitably leads to their children finding the gun and shooting themselves or someone else accidentally.

The famous cases of mass killings are almost always by people with significant mental health problems.  All of the gun control measures that are proposed are registration based and maybe a background check, but we don't keep lists of people (and their families) with mental health issues, so I think that's not going to solve the problem.  I also don't think there's any political support for making a list of all people with mental health problems and their family members and sending that list to gun sellers and prohibiting them from selling to those people, even if such an approach passed constitutional muster.  The MOTHER of the guy who killed all those children in Connecticut bought him the guns and she knew his problems better than anyone (he killed her, too).  She would have passed any background check that's ever been proposed.  You can say that we should get rid of all guns, but that would require us to overturn the second amendment and then institute mass confiscation.  I'm not in favor of that, even though I don't own a gun myself and feel deeply uncomfortable around them.

Temperature outside our kitchen window reads 100F - it has been horribly hot for a few days now, lots of sunshine but humidity leaves me feeling wiped out. Thank goodness for air conditioning, I'd be in a right state without it,

On the plus side we had a lovely visit from Neil, Denise and Conlan. They were vacationing in Florida and came up this way to see friends and family before heading back to Yellowknife. They'll be coming to our house again on Thursday for a barbecue, temps may have moderated a bit by then. Our granddaughter Alannis will be spending the first semester of school in Italy on one of her electives, don't know what it is but I suspect she'll be trying to see as much of Italy as she can while there.

Oh Momac, we get temperatures like that with some frequency during the summer, but you all don't.  I'm sure that's very hard on everyone and I am glad you have air conditioning.  And how nice to have a family visit.

On leave all week.

Listening to the shipping forecast on Radio 4 at the moment.

Disgusted over somebody s need to hunt.

Big teeth kill it ^^

On leave all week.

Listening to the shipping forecast on Radio 4 at the moment.

Disgusted over somebody s need to hunt.

Big teeth kill it ^^

The American dentist who shot Cecil the Lion has been well chastised on the Internet for his disgusting behaviour, a picture of him smiling is on Facebook, he was not allowed to take his trophies home, they were confiscated, someone should confiscate him! :grumble:

I agree Momac. I saw the picture on Facebook and struggle to understand how such a seemingly educated person can not only act in this way but be prepared to flaunt his behaviour!

I am off to visit my parents today so will probably come home exhausted. My Dad plays bowls on a Wednesday morning so it will be just my Mum and I to start with. Mum will be 80 next year but still seems to have the energy and drive of a person at least half her age despite a double by-pass operation and suffering with high blood pressure and unstable angina! I really do have to marvel at her at times. She also has an ability to talk for England so I doubt that it will be a quiet visit. I think Dad just likes me to visit as it gives his ears a rest for a change! He does have a habit of taking his hearing aid out from time to time when he wants to read! My parents are nothing if not entertaining.

Hi CP, laughed at your bit about your Dad and his hearing aid, probably your Mum doesn't need a reply from him, she's just a chatty person.  You'll probably have a really nice visit and it will be good company for Mum.  My Mum was a great talker too and seemed to keep up with current affairs.

I'm going to say this quietly because I know it will upset some people here, I was at the library last night learning how to fold books. Thoroughly enjoyed myself too. As did my father. My brother was suitably disgusted, though.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I'm going to say this quietly because I know it will upset some people here, I was at the library last night learning how to fold books. Thoroughly enjoyed myself too. As did my father. My brother was suitably disgusted, though.

I'm not upset as I don't know what folding books means and I'm sure I won't be upset anyway.  :)

Hi CP, laughed at your bit about your Dad and his hearing aid, probably your Mum doesn't need a reply from him, she's just a chatty person.  You'll probably have a really nice visit and it will be good company for Mum.  My Mum was a great talker too and seemed to keep up with current affairs.

We had a lovely day thank you Momac. Mum was on really good form today so when Dad came home from his bowls match he was quite happy to let it all go on around him while he watched the cricket! As usual their garden looked just about perfect so I came home thinking that I need to start all over again on mine. I had a bit of a mixed day yesterday so today gave me a real lift.

I'm glad that you won't be upset. Here's what I'm talking about:

:)

The American dentist who shot Cecil the Lion has been well chastised on the Internet for his disgusting behaviour, a picture of him smiling is on Facebook, he was not allowed to take his trophies home, they were confiscated, someone should confiscate him! :grumble:

I'm so very angry about that whole business surrounding the death of Cecil, particularly since the hunting lobby pays millions of money in pretending it is whiter than white - and supposed conservationists to boot! The dentist's plea that he was ignorant of the situation ... in that case he shouldn't be allowed to handle weapons either!  Sorry, will stop now. :ph34r:

I'm glad that you won't be upset. Here's what I'm talking about:

Looks neat, which books do you use and how do you get the eyes and nose to show up and why is your brother disgusted, does it harm the books?

The dentist is a big fat liar face.  This is not his first offense.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  He has been ripped to shreds on the internet and his house and dental practice are both deserted.  I hope he goes broke and can't afford to take these kinds of trips anymore.  

At least he wasn't from Texas.

Looks neat, which books do you use and how do you get the eyes and nose to show up and why is your brother disgusted, does it harm the books?

Choosing the book is the trick, Momac. For the hedgehog you need a book with 300 pages and what you do is fold the pages. It doesn't destroy the book - except for the odd ripped out pages to keep the print pattern complete - because you could unfold the pages and read them, but basically you're making an ornament out of a book. The eyes and nose are stuck on with glue. I'm thinking that I'll do a nice ribbon bow for mine as well and pipe-cleaner glasses for my dad's. My brother was disgusted because we were folding book pages. He thinks breaking the spine on a paperback is book murder. I think he needs to get out more often!

Dentist and lion? Do NOT get me started, so I'll just second Binker's sentiments and leave it at that.

Well done CP on your parents. My father has his hearing aid out a lot of the time. It gets quite hot in the ear if it's in for a long time but he likes to say that it's because I talk to much. Me, with the reading habit too. At least he doesn't shoot lions!

The dentist is a big fat liar face.  This is not his first offense.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  He has been ripped to shreds on the internet and his house and dental practice are both deserted.  I hope he goes broke and can't afford to take these kinds of trips anymore.  

At least he wasn't from Texas.

Not happy with what he did,

I hear that hunters (pfff) pay lots to do this. He's taking a lot of flak because he picked on / got fed the wrong lion.

Makes you think of all these hunters :) already booked a little worried now?

Edited by Clavain

Not happy with what he did,

I hear that hunters (pfff) pay lots to do this. He's taking a lot of flak because he picked on / got fed the wrong lion.

Makes you think of all these hunters :) already booked a little worried now?

That was no hunt, it was torture and murder.  The lion was enticed out of the national park by humans that he'd gotten used to and trusted and then he was grieviously wounded and chased for forty hours.  I'll bet you any money you like that if the dentist was asked if he wanted to be put in an enclosed area with a healthy male lion in his prime like Cecil, with just a bow and arrow - which is how the dentist prefers it - he'd decline because the lion would win.  

He is not the first hunter to pay big money to shoot an animal - saying that he is supporting conservation. Maybe he is unaware that there are many, many thousands of people around the world who pay money for conservation and don't kill animals. So, what this cretin should have done was pay his $50,000 for conservation in Zimbabwe and stay home pulling teeth! His Zimbabwean accomplices should, of course, be shot.