Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Was hoping for cricket opinion, but can't find anything current.  Best try Twitter?

Clavain and CP post about the Ashes - there should be some comment from them somewhere.  In fact I think Clavain may have started a thread on it. It's under General Chat.

Edited by momac

Was hoping for cricket opinion, but can't find anything current.  Best try Twitter?

Being Scottish I have no idea about cricket whatsoever but there's a thread on something called The Ashes here :  The Ashes if that's of any help at all.

Being Scottish I have no idea about cricket whatsoever but there's a thread on something called The Ashes here :  The Ashes if that's of any help at all.

"Something called the Ashes"! RG and I will be virtually eating, drinkng and sleeping cricket now that Wimbledon is over! You know how seriously I take my sport Luna. I dare say Clavain, RG and I will be regularly commenting on The Ashes thread over the rest of the summer.

"Something called the Ashes"! RG and I will be virtually eating, drinkng and sleeping cricket now that Wimbledon is over! You know how seriously I take my sport Luna. I dare say Clavain, RG and I will be regularly commenting on The Ashes thread over the rest of the summer.

I know, I was being facetious. I know perfectly well what cricket is and - should it be any compensation at all - Scotland have a cricket team which is as chronically bad as all of our other teams

I know, I was being facetious. I know perfectly well what cricket is and - should it be any compensation at all - Scotland have a cricket team which is as chronically bad as all of our other teams

I was joking too Luna! I had no doubt that you know full well what cricket is I just assumed you were not a fan.

I was joking too Luna! I had no doubt that you know full well what cricket is I just assumed you were not a fan.

Not a fan but I have watched the odd game (mostly in confusion)

Made myself go to the hairdresser and stayed long enough to get a haircut.  Hate hairdressers with a passion and have, in the past, done it myself.  That's it done for the next 3 or 4 months.

I am just backing up luna here. I am glad you enjoy it but I have nooooo idea at all what it is, who does it, how long it goes on for etc. It is strange that it can be so important to some people and of no consequence at all to others.

(Maybe you should do an "idiot's guide" post?)

MM I think maybe Clavain posted a link on The Ashes thread about this cricket challenge between Australia and England explaining what it was all about - shall go back and double check in case I'm mistaken.

Yes it's an article from the Guardian and if I was clever with this sort of thing I would have posted the link - maybe Meg or Luna would help out here? I really should learn to do some of these things. :(

Edited by momac

I found Clavain's post containing the link : The Ashes which I have yet to read.

You're a good friend Luna, a lot smarter than I am at this cyber business. :D

RG and I have been using our National Trust membership again today and visited Clivedon House and Gardens. The house is now an expensive hotel so can only be viewed from the outside but the setting and gardens are beautiful. We arrived as the grounds opened and left just before they closed. We are now home feeling very weary but relaxed having had a wonderful day out. We are finding our years membership to The National Trust to be a real investment. If nothing else it has encouraged us to plan days out that we would probably not botherto do otherwise. As we always take our own pack lunch and we have long since covered our membership fee we now feel as if each day out literally costs us the price of our petrol.

I'm sitting on the lanai at my brother's house on the Big Island of Hawaii and looking at the ocean. It's a gorgeous day in paradise. Wish I never had to leave!

We flew to Frankfurt this afternoon and are spending the night near the airport in order to catch our flight home tomorrow. This has been one of our best trips, ever. No one could think of a favorite and only a few things we would have done slightly differently. I think everyone appreciates my insistence on bringing only a carry-on suitcase and a small personal bag when we were running to the ferry or climbing innumerable steps to our accommodation.

Kerry and Binker - sounds as though you both have had or are having a great vacation - that's really nice for you. Maybe you could arrange to stay longer Kerry?

Why does everything come at once? Mr RoS and I normally have a very uninteresting & routine social life but had two invitations for today.

First there was a barbecue with friends  in the next village. That was three hours of continuous eating - mainly meat, and more than we would normally eat in a fortnight. Then home for a quick change and to prepare a dessert for the neighbours' Ruby Wedding Party where we did without the main course, but sampled several of the desserts donated by the couple's friends.

I think Mr RoS had something of everything!

I'm here for 12 days and I so wish I could stay longer, momac. But I have to get back to my little baby (chihuahua). If I could have brought her with me, I might never leave!

I'm here for 12 days and I so wish I could stay longer, momac. But I have to get back to my little baby (chihuahua). If I could have brought her with me, I might never leave!

I can understand that, I would miss my dogs a lot if I was away for any length of time.

Well, Andy Murray won the tennis so that's Great Britain in the semi-final of the Davis Cup and England lost, badly the news said, at the Ashes.

I glued my masks to their boards and have left them to dry before I hang them.

Read The Raven out loud last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I also read Eldorado out loud.  Obviously something to be done when my father isn't watching the TV (he was watching a DVD with my brother upstairs). 

I'm sitting on the lanai at my brother's house on the Big Island of Hawaii and looking at the ocean. It's a gorgeous day in paradise. Wish I never had to leave!

Jealous? Moi?  You bet!

Was in Waterstones this morning and they have a new book by China Mieville called Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories, it's in hardback and £18.99.  According to Amazon it's not released until 30th July, which is odd.  Anyway, thought I'd mention it just in case there is a China Mieville fan here ...............................

I am in Mostar (in Bosnia). It is 42C. I cannot bear it - I just about coped with a city tour for an hour and now I am hiding in my air conditioned room, about to read The Bone Clocks.