Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Just said goodby to the writing group that meet at my place every Wednesday. Had a really lively session this week on how to finish short stories we had each started and deliberately left hanging. They ranged from the macabre to fantasy. My brain hurts now, so it's quiet time with BGO before girding up my loins for the big England game on TV this evening.

And sexy, of course....! ;)

That's brilliant, Opal. I hope you filled out your risk assessment - dangerous things, marbles....

Actually I think there probably more problems with kids getting paper cuts... kind of sad really! :P

I wanted to call my cat Schrodinger when I adopted her a few years ago

I've always thought that would be a great name fr a cat! Only wish I could have one in my flat...

I wanted to call my cat Schrodinger when I adopted her a few years ago

I can't think of a better name for a cat. I do find certain areas of physics fascinating, although New Scientist provides about as much detail as I seem able to absorb.

Meg, have you considered getting a lamp? ;)

That's brilliant, Opal. I hope you filled out your risk assessment - dangerous things, marbles....

Hee hee, I'll never forget the day that my physics teacher shocked himself on the Van Der Graaf* generator!!! How we laughed!

*Apologies for any misspelling or misnaming, I hated physics, mostly because of said teacher, which is a shame because I always feel that knowing physics is the starting point for knowing everything...

Sitting in the sunshine near a big window boring myself to the point of exhaustion with editing. Help!! ;)

No sunshine here in Edinburgh today. Solid rain, without a break (really!) and it barely got brighter than dusk. Hard, wet rain at that.

No sunshine here in Edinburgh today. Solid rain, without a break (really!) and it barely got brighter than dusk. Hard, wet rain at that.

The hard wet rain has just hit London. It's NASTY. I'm waiting for my friend who is coming down from Sheffield and is bringing his folding bike on the train with him so he can bike over here from the station. He's going to be sodden.

Yes, the London sunshine didn't last. I went for a walk just before 6 (well, obviously it was dark them anyway) to pick up one of my sons, and we were almost home when those big fat splattery raindrops started to fall.

PS isn't 'splatter' a wonderful word? Words to do with the sounds of water and liquids often are.

Lol..at the moment...enjoying some good tunes while trying (emphasis on the word 'trying') to learn Finnish haha :)

Finnish?? How impressive! I've heard that Finnish is such a difficult language that most Finns choose to speak English or Swedish instead! Is it true that they have no future tense?

I'm bouncing around the living room in an excited fashion because my lovely friend has just treated us both to tickets to see Bjork in concert next April! It'll be about the sixth time we've seen her live and she's never less than awesome. What a fantastic friend I have. :D:D:D

Finnish?? How impressive! I've heard that Finnish is such a difficult language that most Finns choose to speak English or Swedish instead! Is it true that they have no future tense?

Apparently yeah, they seem to only have Past and Present tense it's kinda strange trying to figure out heehee

at the moment I onyl know a few basic things..hopefully i'll manage to get better.

Maybe :rolleyes:

I'm bouncing around the living room in an excited fashion because my lovely friend has just treated us both to tickets to see Bjork in concert next April! It'll be about the sixth time we've seen her live and she's never less than awesome. What a fantastic friend I have. :D:D:D

I am v envious. I have often wondered what of our contemporary music would still be known in 100+ years time. I have thought that Bjork is likely to be in that group.

Afi stundum segir mér

hve hrikalega virtur

okkar ættstofn er

Útfríkaðir fræðimenn

fyndnir og allt,

sjáðu nú með sjálfum þér

Hvernig þetta færi mér - ég meina það

með spekingssvip í feisinu - þambandi Malt

Á Borginni dansaði hann vikivaka

Á Borginni dansaði hann vikivaka

I've just been downstairs to make initial preparations for our dinner, including fitting the contents of a pack of chicken legs into a roasting tin.

There were five of them, and they were all left legs.

I don't want to think too closely about life in a chicken packing plant, but I've noticed before that, generally speaking, packs of chicken legs are usually all from the same side of the birds. I would have expected them to be more random. :confused:

I've never seen Björk in concert, although I did see The Sugarcubes at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester when I was a student. I'd like to, but £41 for the London show plus whatever outrageous quantity Ticketmaster charge me for putting the tickets in an envelope and posting them to me (how can this possibly cost £2.75 plus an admin fee - isn't this admin???), is pretty steep. I clearly need to find a friend who'll buy a ticket for me!!

I am ...wondering precisely how one tells the difference between a chicken's left leg and a chicken's right leg. ;)

Mmm, me too. I have none to examine, meg. How does one tell?

I am eating hommus and wondering precisely how one tells the difference between a chicken's left leg and a chicken's right leg. ;)

I imagine that if you hold the leg up as if the exposed bone of the femur was going to make contact with the rest of the chicken, it's obvious.

Mmm, me too. I have none to examine, meg. How does one tell?

Chicken leg - right

ciklegrzw9.jpg

Chicken leg - leftchikleglub8.jpg

Sorry, I can't turn them so that they are both ankle down, but if I could you would see that their 'knees' point in opposite directions.

I can't believe I've just posted that lot :rolleyes:

I'm getting wound up that everytime I try to do something the internet decides it doesn't want to connect and I lose what I've just typed.

I'm now going to bed with my book to calm down.

I won't be online again until at least Sunday, as I am off to "whitejeans&stiletto-a-go-go land"* to visit my nan for the weekend.

*with apologies to Louise Rennison for ripping off her geographical naming method, and of course to anyone from Essex...

I am off to "whitejeans&stiletto-a-go-go land"* to visit my nan for the weekend.

She obviously keeps herself young at heart, eh? ;)

Have a great weekend, Flingo!