Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Unfortunately I am working all day tomorrow Momac so will probably miss Andy's match. RG will be home alone so he will hàve to cheer him on for me. Just hope that they can both manage without my support! The amount that I shout at the telly while Andy is on I am sure that he can hear me in SW19!

RG and I have been to our son and daughter-in-law's this afternoon for a massive family housewarming BBQ. Lovely to see them so well settled in their own home at last. Wonderful afternoon had by all, lovely to catch up with other members of their extended family too.

Lots of excitement for you and your family this summer CP.

I thought of you the other day when Raonic was playing the match, the one before the one he lost, and every time he made what I thought was a wrong move I yelled at the TV and our youngest dog, Kaylee, would run and hide thinking she was in trouble. I realized I was going to have to stop doing that as it was upsetting the dog. The next match he wasn't doing very well at all after the first set but I managed to mumble quietly to myself to keep the puppy happy. :)

Edited by momac

Don't tell CP but Andy Murray won his match and a thirlller it was too.  Djokovich is all square at 2 sets each but bad light stopped play so he will have to finish tomorrow.

Bought a new printer/scanner/copier as my old printer died of old age and apparently nobody sells just printers nowadays.  My mobile phone died of old age too, I had it the best part of 15 years and am desolate at having to let it go.  I am now the proud owner of a smartphone but still hanker after my Nokia 3310 - this made phone calls and texts and £5 credit would last 10 months, I'll never get that again.

Will be taking my father to a doctor's appointment - the first in ages - tomorrow.  He is not expecially ill but I won't go into details.  We were both surprised at getting an appointment so soon.

Today I lent my father the third book he's borrowed from me.  He loved the John Harding two, Florence and Giles, The Girl Who Couldn't Read and is convinced that if he'd read F&G first he wouldn't have stuck with it.  He now has The Hollow Man by John Dickson Carr, the most famous example of the locked door mystery and also an example of hard boiled crime.  My father has now decided that what I read is weird but he likes it.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Luna, I have a techie friend who maintains that the Noka 3310 was the best phone he ever owned. It still has quite a following.

It is annoying how you just want to buy a device to do one thing well, and instead you have to buy some complicated thing that needs an electronics degree to operate, because if will also make your tea and iron your shirts. And have you noticed how nothing comes with instructions any more?

Luna, I have a techie friend who maintains that the Noka 3310 was the best phone he ever owned. It still has quite a following.

It is annoying how you just want to buy a device to do one thing well, and instead you have to buy some complicated thing that needs an electronics degree to operate, because if will also make your tea and iron your shirts. And have you noticed how nothing comes with instructions any more?

Yes. It took me the best part of a week to set it up and I managed to incur £1.20 extra charge before I had the phone a fortnight. I was asking a set up question a week after I had bought it. It's working fine now and I do like it but I now have 300 minutes talk time that I can't use. Truly loved my Nokia and I believe that it was the best phone ever. Edited by lunababymoonchild

Totally agree the Nokia 3310 was a really good mobile phone. I had mine for many years and did me sterling work.  However, since converting to android smartphones I have got so much greater access to the world at large ... and it helps me keep up with all the new technology that's coming on stream, as well as letting my sons know that I am not so old that I cannot pick up this knowledge.

My new smartphone is android too BB and I'm finding myself accessing news bulletins and sporting information more and more regularly.  When I do that my father picks up his smartphone (also Android but slightly different, oddly) and continues his Sudoku.  He was playing with his Sudoku in Boots as he was waiting for his prescription, so more up to date than me!

We have arrived in beautiful Rovinj, Croatia. On our WY here, we stopped at SkocJan Caves (my new tablet has very bossy spelling corrections and insists on capitalizing the "j," but it is otherwise spelled correctly). They were magnificent. Highly recommend if you are in the area.

Was the 'ladies only' tennis matches today so used the time to get some household chores done so that I can have a guilt- free Wednesday for the men's, or the 'gentlemen's' quarter finals. Watched some of the ladies but the shouting with each shot, especially Sharapova, really is annoying, usually turn the sound off.

Took the Dyson vacuum cleaner apart and washed the filters after vacuuming the living room and kitchen. Would be nice if they had a self-cleaning model but at least this is an upright one and doesn't sneak up and attack the back of my legs like the canister model used to do.

So bring on the Wednesday tennis!

Just watched a good match between Federer and Andy Murray - Federer won in three sets but Andy played well. So now Fed gets to play Djokovic and I hope Federer wins.

Just watched a good match between Federer and Andy Murray - Federer won in three sets but Andy played well. So now Fed gets to play Djokovic and I hope Federer wins.

I'm a great Federer fan and serving like he did yesterday certainly conserves energy being now in his mid-30s.  Great stuff.

I missed Andy's match yesterday as I was at work but it does sound as if there really was nothing else he could have done as Federer played wonderfully. As can be imagined I was a bit grumpy last night but now that Andy is out I would quite like Federer to win. At least the cricket cheered me up today! Great start to The Ashes summer for England. Let's just hope we can keep this style of play up.

Nearly at the end of the most boring two weeks of the year!, just one more day of tedium to go!

Where are you Meg that's causing the boredom?s

Guess you are not a tennis fan Meg. I hate to tell you this but next weekend is Davis cup and we are playing at Queens so it will be televised all weekend! After that you should be okay.

Didn't cotton on to the fact that it was the tennis that was boring Meg.  Does it take over all channels?

Didn't cotton on to the fact that it was the tennis that was boring Meg.  Does it take over all channels?

Neither did I and yes, it does take over. I love the Wimbledon Championships but even I've been bored with the coverage.

New balls please!!  :D

Momac, the TV coverage takes over two of the 'terrestrial' channels (BBC One & Two) each afternoon from about mid-day to 6.00pm, then just the one of them (BBC Two) until around 9.00pm if matches are still going on.  Annoying, granted, if you are not a fan but........and now we go straight into the Ashes cricket series against Australia.  No complaints from this household I'm afraid!  At least that's on Sky Sports and they dedicate one of their several sports channels to it for about five weeks.

I'm sitting here amazed that my sign-in still works!  It's been years!

Hi, everyone.  I'm Miranda and I just found the bookmark to this site.  It's been a while since I was last here so I doubt anyone remembers me but if it's ok I shall have a mooch around.  

And sorry if this is in the wrong place but I couldn't find the Welcome thread......  

Is anyone in touch with Hazel, haven't seen her on here for quite a while?

I have presumed that she has been very busy with exams and end-of-term stuff - and probably needing a holiday now, but that's not based on any actual information.

I'm sitting here amazed that my sign-in still works!  It's been years!

Hi, everyone.  I'm Miranda and I just found the bookmark to this site.  It's been a while since I was last here so I doubt anyone remembers me but if it's ok I shall have a mooch around.  

And sorry if this is in the wrong place but I couldn't find the Welcome thread......  

Hello Mirandashell. Wander around and see who you may still know. Not me - I've only been around a couple of years.

Hello Mirandashell. Wander around and see who you may still know. Not me - I've only been around a couple of years.

There are probably people you know Miranda that have been on the forum a lot longer than we have - you can renew acquaintances.  Forum has been a  bit quieter of late, maybe people out enjoying the summer weather.

Hi mirandashell.  I've been around here since 2007 (I think) so you may remember me.  It's great to have you back.  Hope you enjoy all the 'stuff' we now have on the site and the new layout.