Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

CP - do you know that Andy is playing an exhibition game against Djokovic as Federer is unable to play in the final?

CP - do you know that Andy is playing an exhibition game against Djokovic as Federer is unable to play in the final?

Yes Momac, we turned the telly on to settle down for the final having had a busy day decorating, only to find that Federer had withdrawn. We were a bit stunned but thoroughly enjoyed the two exhibition matches, especially the doubles with Andy and McEnroe playing Henman and Cash. Although at one point it ended up with Andy playing all three, and he still won the point! Roger withdrew due to a back injury but it seems that there was a bit of a situation on Saturday night following his semi against Stan Wawrinka during which Stan took exception to comments made by Roger's camp at a critical point of the match. It has been suggested in some of the papers here that some sort of row may have been responsible for the withdrawal rather than injury. Hopefully this is not the case but, withdrawal aside, I do wonder just where the realtionship between Roger and Stan is at the moment considering they have a Davis Cup final to play together in less than two weeks time! Hopefully it will have all blown over by then as it would be a shame for the tennis season to end on such a low note!

Kitchen decoration well underway now. I am back at work tomoroow and RG on Thursday so hope to do a bit more today before a trip to Dunelm for some new bits and pieces, the nicest part of any redecoration scheme! Not sure that RG sees it that way of course! I dare say he will go round saying "why do we need that?"! Much as he does with my buying of new tops!!

Glad you were watching the matches CP, I was looking forward to seeing Federer playing Djokovic but I wonder if the two matches in a row, especially a harrowing one like the night before, was too much for Federer.  There was also a bad call during the match where it looked like Federer had lost a point he was unaware of, the chair umpire made the call.  Then Wawrinka was talking to the umpire and I guess he was complaining about what he heard coming from the Federer box which, if true, was terribly unsporting.  It could have been interesting seeing how Wawrinka managed against Djokovic although I doubt he would have been able to beat him.  Anyway, that's the tennis season finished except for the Davis Cup and I wonder if Federer and Wawrinka will be able to patch up their differences and even wonder if Federer will be in shape to play.  Apparently up until recently they had been very good friends.  I thought the Doubles match was great, really entertaining and everyone seemed to have good fun.  Nice to see some levity in such an otherwise serious sport. I thought the little ball girl did well too, maybe another tennis star on the way up!  Andy did well jumping in at the last minute to play the exhibition match and I thought he played well.  Playing Djokovic must be like playing a machine but Andy got in some great shots.

It will be nice to have your renovating all finished in time for Christmas.

Hope everything stays safe out there Ting - I was surprised to read about celebrating a Guy Fawkes night - still a big British influence there?

Any excuse for fireworks, momac, any excuse ... :grumble:

Ting - Has the black community picked up on the Brit custom or is the ex-pats in Lusaka who celebrate Guy Fawkes?

Edited by momac

We made a big mistake yesterday.  Having not been there for about a year, I suggested we visit the Trafford Centre in Manchester (the big out of centre shopping mall) forgetting that it is only a few weeks to Christmas.  The centre opens at 11.00 a.m. on a Sunday, but the shops are not allowed to sell anything until 12 noon.  With hindsight we ought to have got there for 11.00 am, but didn't get there till almost noon.  We had to sit in a jam on the M60 for over a mile, then crawl into the nearest entrance gate and we toured four car parks before we found a place to park.  In fact, Mr. Bb almost had steam coming out of his ears with frustration, :banghead: so we had just decided not to bother at all and headed for the nearest exit when we saw a whole row of empty spaces!!  Of course, the shopping mall was packed out and you had to walk at a slow pace, but the shops were not too bad,.  We spent a couple of hour browsing around (luckily we have bought most of our Christmas gifts), had a nice lunch and then decided to visit our son (who lives in Manchester) on the way home.  We obviously left at the same time as half the other visitors because we crawled back to the motorway.  Never again!!

However, we have to visit Manchester city centre on Wednesday, so we are going in by train! :yup:

We are doing very well indeed, my father and me.  On Friday we purchased everything that we need for our joint Christmas tree origami - unexpectedly in the one shop! - and today I got what I wanted in the way of wrapping paper from Waterstones for my Curlicue Origami.  I cannot wait to get started properly on that, I've done two test pieces and they worked out well so it's time for a longer piece.  Unfortunately my hands are sore from the Christmas tree so I'll have to wait.

Ting - Has the black community picked up on the Brit custom or is the ex-pats in Lusaka who celebrate Guy Fawkes?

It's the expats momac. I'm not sure how many we have in Lusaka right now, but they prefer certain suburbs, and if one lives close by one get the fireworks.

I'm looking at the calendar and am surprised that it's so close to Christmas. I'm rather like BB and would rather not be around the shopping centres - but unlike Luna, I don't go in for decorations. However ... I do have a long string of 100 solar-powered fairy lights that I am planning to wrap around one of the trees in our community garden this year, so that all the tenants can share a bit of Christmas cheer. 

My own activities for today included trying a new recipe. I read the instructions incorrectly and added half-a-pint of beef stock instead of half-a-cup. :dunce: Never mind, it'll still be edible ... with a soup spoon. :(

Ting, seeing this reminded me of one glorious occasion when CP added a (very generous)TABLEspoonful of hot chilli powder to a curry instead of a TEAspoonful. As CP and I and the two kids embarked on the finished meal there was a gradual quietening of chatter around the table as you could sense that faces were reddening, the temperature seemed to be rising fast and the almost inevitable climax as we all raced each other to the cold water tap.

Ting, I like the idea of the solar powered fairy lights, what a good idea.  Don't know that I've seen any of those advertised but they must be around.  Will have a look for them, certainly easier to manage than trying to string up ones that plug in, environmentally friendly too.  Can you see the community garden from your place?

Ting, seeing this reminded me of one glorious occasion when CP added a (very generous)TABLEspoonful of hot chilli powder to a curry instead of a TEAspoonful. As CP and I and the two kids embarked on the finished meal there was a gradual quietening of chatter around the table as you could sense that faces were reddening, the temperature seemed to be rising fast and the almost inevitable climax as we all raced each other to the cold water tap.

Ha!  Once we were in Oxford with our children and our son was only 5.  He generally has asbestos mouth, so we never worried about spicy food.  We went to an Asian restaurant (Malaysian??) where the food was very spicy and I noticed he was just sucking down his water.  I finally asked him if he were doing that because the food was spicy.  He nodded his head and I told him to eat the chips in the middle of the table because water just makes it worse--a fact I am sure you and your family realized at some point.  That worked, but we had to take 2 bathroom stops on the walk back to the hotel and even then I had to run the last block and take him to the bathrooms right off of reception.

Ting, I like the idea of the solar powered fairy lights, what a good idea.  Don't know that I've seen any of those advertised but they must be around.  Will have a look for them, certainly easier to manage than trying to string up ones that plug in, environmentally friendly too.  Can you see the community garden from your place?

Just ordered a string of solar powered fairy lights which we'll be able to string around the old maple tree in the front yard, dress it up a bit for Christmas - lots of them available just hadn't noticed them.

Just ordered a string of solar powered fairy lights which we'll be able to string around the old maple tree in the front yard, dress it up a bit for Christmas - lots of them available just hadn't noticed them.

During the winter will you actually have enough hours of sunlight to power your solar Christmas lights Momac. Can imagine them working in Zambia but not so sure about Ontario!!

My father isn't well today so we folded more triangles and built the origami Christmas tree a little further.  I finished cutting the green paper so all that is left is folding and building - until we get to the pot the tree stands on.  We are, as far as can be made out, half-way there.  So not long to go.

During the winter will you actually have enough hours of sunlight to power your solar Christmas lights Momac. Can imagine them working in Zambia but not so sure about Ontario!!

Should get at least 7 or 8 hours of daylight, we're not too far north, but time will tell!

Take it easy Luna and take care of those fingers.

GH - was hoping you might be on the forum this evening, just finished reading a pleasant little story by Jill Paterson, Lane's End, a whodunnit set in Sydney.  The police procedures sounded so much like the ones in the UK that it took me a minute or so to realize that it was set in Australia. Jill Paterson was born in Northern Yorkshire but moved around a bit and then settled in Canberra.  I wondered if maybe you had heard of her.  I liked her book, spent a pleasant evening reading it. :)

Luna - what a mammoth task you have, but going so quickly. Hope your Dad's feeling better.

Momac - great that you got your fairy lights. The great thing about solar-powered ones is that you can put them outside anywhere without needing a fixed energy source. (As they say, a solar spill means it's just a really nice day :D ) Of course, right now we have sunshine 12 hours a day so recharging is no problem. And yes, we have quite a large garden with a lot of trees front and back and everyone shares, though they have their own flower beds as well. Make for a colourful 'allsorts' effect that visitors always comment on.

Thanks Binker et al for culinary/cautionary tales.

Thanks Ting it is going well.

Finally got my father to see a doctor and the doctor got him to have blood tests right there and then. Apparently the doctor has ordered a raft (according to my father) of tests. Just awaiting results.

Seeing the news earlier today regarding the extreme weather in the USA right now; if I heard correctly EVERY state is experiencing freezing temperatures and snow, although some worse than others.  Just hoping that all of our BGO friends in the USA (and if appropriate Canada too!) are OK and not having to shovel too much snow.

Six feet of snow in Buffalo, NY in one day! Yikes! I feel bad that I was complaining this morning about being cold and had to put a sweater on. Didn't need it when I went out to lunch, though. This is when I feel truly blessed to live in Arizona. Along with RG, I do hope that our fellow BGO'ers in the US are doing okay. 

It's snowing but we don't have the accumulation they have in the States, not here anyway, further down Niagara way is getting quite a lot though but we may have to get the snowblower out before too long. :(