Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

So sorry to hear about Mr. Meg's 'turn'.  Do hope they find some answers and some way of treating it.  So upsetting for you both.

Sorry to hear about Mr. Meg's 'turn', hope it's something that can be fixed so as not to recur.  

Last night Mr meg had a 'turn' in the bathroom  (4am-ish) and ended up wedged between the lavatory and the bath. I had to call out the paramedics as I couldn't shift him, and he couldn't co-operate..

This is the third of these 'turns' (over 4 years), but the previous two have been while he was in bed. He's gone now to try and get an appointment at the surgery.  I expect he'll have to go back to see the neurologist who couldn't find  out what was going on when he saw her last year.

I'll have to go too, to describe the event, as he wakes up with no recollection of the night's proceedings - and feeling fine!

Not that I'm an expert on the subject but could it be some form of sleep walking?  Saw a girl in my class do that once (long story) and it scared the livin' daylights out of me.  Someone else who knew what was going on got her back into bed  - by telling her to go back to bed - and the sleepwalker  had no recollection in the morning.

I'm sorry to hear about Mr. meg's fall, meg. That sounds frightening. I hope they can diagnose him this time and treat him for the problem.

Not that I'm an expert on the subject but could it be some form of sleep walking? 

It's one of the possibilities (the first one looked to me  like a Night Terror that small children have). He did spend a night attached to monitors at the Sleep Disorders Unit at Papworth Hospital, but he slept perfectly peacefully while he was there.

Our GP surgery is a Group Practice, so if you want a same-day appointment you see whoever you can get, Today he saw a different doctor from the one he saw after his last 'turn', seven months ago. This chap wants to start from scratch, and do the same tests all over again.

In the meanwhile I will have Mr meg at home, feeling perfectly fine and getting under my feet.

How puzzling, Meg.  It sounds like the famous description of war as being long periods of boredom punctuated by terror.  I hope you get to the bottom of things and the terror component goes away.

I am sorry about Mr Meg's problems, hopefully this time someone will manage to get to the bottom of it all.

RG and I have been off for the last few days and have spent a fair amount of time visiting local nurseries buying pots and plants for the garden. Having lost a large tree last year we had a few holes to fill. The garden is beginning to look a bit more organised again and although I miss the tree other things will now have a much better chance of flourishing. I have tried to post a photo of our wisteria in bloom on the BGO Facebook page but I am finding Facebook very confusing so am not sure whether it will appear or not!

I have tried to post a photo of our wisteria in bloom on the BGO Facebook page but I am finding Facebook very confusing so am not sure whether it will appear or not!

Would have loved to check it out for you Cp, but since I don't 'do' Fb I can't help. :mellow:

I have spent the day trying to work out - for a UK bank which has happily rejected all my documentation - how to prove I live where I do and actually receive mail at my post box number. Unfortunately I have NO acceptable piece of paper that includes all of the following - my name, plot number, road name, suburb name, box number, city, country. I have any number of variations, but never enough for compliance purposes. I suspect that I will have to resort to the last option on the list: getting a certifier to visit me. That could be exciting ... :unsure:

Goodness meg, I hope he's ok. It does sound like a mix of sleep-walking and night terrors. It must be quite frightening to see especially at night when everything seems so much worse.

RG and I have had a few days off so have been catching up with jobs around the garden. The garden is beginning to wear it's summer face and is looking very full. Yesterday was a day of sunshine and showers and the garden looked lovely during the sunny bits. There is something about the look of a garden after rain especially in late spring when everything is new and fresh. Very up-lifting!

My cousin came around yesterday evening to help us plan our new kitchen. I cannot wait as we have been in this house nearly fourteen yeears and the kitchen is one of the last big jobs to do. My cousin and our son work together and will be doing the kitchen for us about October time, they are very busy and cannot fit it in before. Great for them as business was a bit dodgy at the beginning of last year.

I have been trying to work out Facebook having recently joined. I must admit I am not sure that I will be using it much as I find it very confusing, not sure that it is for me!

There is a thread about Facebook,  and members' use of such 'social networking' sites, here in General chat. It was started when such sites were beginning to spread from the younger, or geekier into the consciousness of the more mature users of the internet. MySpace was just giving way to Facebook as the social site of choice.

As I said there, I joined Fb because it was the only means of seeing the photographs of my new great-niece - and get information on my children and grandchildren.  I check it most days to see if there's any news of the family, but rarely post anything.

I have posted a bit on Facebook today to work out how to use it but doubt that it will continue. As others have said I will use it to keep up with family news and to see the odd photo. It was nice to see the photo of Hazel's hand-knitted scarf too!

Oh Meg, I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. It's hard to have to start again with another operation, just when you were expecting to feel better. I hope that your husband's condition is sorted soon too. Keep propping each other up and enjoy the time at home together.

Popped into 'the other' bookshop yesterday and asked about Crossing to Safety. Not in stock. But while the manager clicked away on the computer I sat and chatted with the owner. The news came through that the supplier had five in stock and was putting one 'in the basket' right now and it would be on its way by the end of the week, arriving in ten days time. I continued to chat - for an hour at least - about books, and Kindles, and cafes and audiobooks, and, and -. I haven't spent such a pleasant hour in such a pleasant environment for quite a while.

Twenty minutes before I had to leave for the dentist in order have more root canal work the pulley fell onto the floor. Was wresting with that when I received a very disturbing 'phone call. Left, pretty much on time, for the dentist, then had to try and have lunch with a rubber face. Then we had to do the weekly grocery shop with my face still rubber and then I had to complain about what turned out to be a legitimate call - by this time my face had thawed out. Then we had to put away the groceries and fix the pulley. Fortunately it was only one of the knots that had come loose but it took forever to get the pulley tied up again in a level position. What a day!

Twenty minutes before I had to leave for the dentist in order have more root canal work the pulley fell onto the floor. Was wresting with that when I received a very disturbing 'phone call. Left, pretty much on time, for the dentist, then had to try and have lunch with a rubber face. Then we had to do the weekly grocery shop with my face still rubber and then I had to complain about what turned out to be a legitimate call - by this time my face had thawed out. Then we had to put away the groceries and fix the pulley. Fortunately it was only one of the knots that had come loose but it took forever to get the pulley tied up again in a level position. What a day!

Oh dear, luna. What can one say, except to quote RG's signature ... :) Anyway, I hope that the remainder of the day has been more acceptable.

Sorry for your woes luna.  Hope today is better.

Today has dawned bright and sunny and warm.  On this day 40 years ago the weather was similar but turned very cold the following week.  On this day 40 years ago my eldest son was born and tonight we will be sharing a meal with him at a vegetarian restaurant in Manchester.  Oh my, those years have gone far too fast!

Sorry for your woes luna.  Hope today is better.

Today has dawned bright and sunny and warm.  On this day 40 years ago the weather was similar but turned very cold the following week.  On this day 40 years ago my eldest son was born and tonight we will be sharing a meal with him at a vegetarian restaurant in Manchester.  Oh my, those years have gone far too fast!

I hope you have a good time at the birthday meal - the years do go fast - sometimes I wish we could go back in time.

Luna, I hope you are having a better day today.  That dental work is taking quite a bit of time, hope it's a rare occurrence for you.

We are finding the house too quiet since we lost Geordie - even Charlie, our other dog, seems kind of lost and is wanting lots of attention. He used to tease Geordie into chasing him - found out today hubby has been checking the puppies for sale ads in the newspaper - I think we may be on a puppy hunt before too long although h said he didn't want another dog. Geordie is really missed but he was so ill he was in a lot of distress we couldn't let him suffer any longer. Must get busy and do something around the house rather than sit and mope. Onward and upward!

Momac, I am having a better day. The last major dental work I had done was 30 years ago so not too bad but you're right this does seem to be dragging on. I think it's because I can't hold my mouth open for long and the inside of my cheek is getting sore with the injections. Not much further to go now hopefully.

So sorry for your loss, a family pet is still family and the loss is huge.

We are finding the house too quiet since we lost Geordie - even Charlie, our other dog, seems kind of lost and is wanting lots of attention.

We have found this with our remaining cat, Pepsi.

She was always quite vocal, and wanted lots of fuss and attention, but has become even more so since we lost Tango. She has no trouble letting us know her requirements, and keeps on until we understand, and comply.

What is quite odd is that she has also taken on some of Tango's behavioral quirks, so it's almost like still having two  cats!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. The sun is out here big time :)

Poker night this weekend with friends and I'm not that good : /

FA Cup tomorrow and very excited even for a neutral. Will be shouting for Hull :)

Tonight so much excellence on the BBC. I honestly think it should be means tested for the TV licence, the more you earn the more you pay.

BBC Young Musician (brass) - BBC 2 followed by The Doors - The Story of LA Woman

MasterChef the finals - BBC1

The Story of Women and Art - BBC2 and hopefully highlighting their wonderful contribution to literature.

The Graham Norton Show - BBC 1 with Kirsten Dunst and Sam Smith

Like Momac and Meg I cannot get used the house without a cat. We lost our much loved Phoebe last summer but I still miss her. I toyed with the idea of getting another cat or kitten, especially after visiting our daughter and her boyfriend with their new kitten Peggy. However RG is not so sure as he thinks that no cat would be like Phoebe. We have had many cats over the years but Phoebe was certainly the favourite it is true. Like Momac's husband looking for puppies I have looked on cat sites on the internet but hesitate because of RG. To take any animal on I think that both of us would have to want to, not just one! The jury is still out on this one!

Edited by cherrypie

I don't know if hubby is actually thinking of another dog or just missing Geordie so much he's wanting to fill the gap.  Time will tell.  I think of the fun we had when Geordie was younger but he also had quite a few instances of health problems and that is the kind of worry we can probably do without.  It is fun to look at puppy pictures though, daughter and I were looking yesterday at dogs for adoption yesterday, however, that's as far as it went.  

It was interesting what Meg said about their remaining cat taking on some of the behaviours of Tango, will watch to see if Charlie exhibits any of Geordie's traits.