Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

I'm very glad things turned out OK for your dad (and you), Luna.

This is an interesting cultural insight.  I don't think I know anyone in the U.S. who has an electric lawn mower.  I know they exist and possibly they are common in parts of the country I haven't lived in (mostly the northeast), but almost everyone has a gasoline powered lawn mower.  I am very sure that many people would have stories similar to your father's, luna, if we electric lawn mowers were common here.   

This is an interesting cultural insight.  I don't think I know anyone in the U.S. who has an electric lawn mower.  I know they exist and possibly they are common in parts of the country I haven't lived in (mostly the northeast), but almost everyone has a gasoline powered lawn mower.  I am very sure that many people would have stories similar to your father's, luna, if we electric lawn mowers were common here.   

That is strange.The opposite here, I and people all around me use electric.Only parks,football fields etc and huge gardens would you use petrol.Reminds me I need to mow my lawn this weekend. :yikes:

Tomorrow I have a job interview so been spending time filling in cards for prompts,learning on the internet and practising.Nervous times.

Wish me luck :) .

Tag, I'm glad that you were OK and it is easy to do.

Kerry, thank you.

My father has done it before, hence the cut-off switch that's supposed to be plugged into the wall before the lawnmower, and I'm glad to say that the household electrics were up to the challenge in it's absence.  And it was an accident.  He was too busy noseying the ladder marks on the lawn to pay attention to the mowing, having forgotten that said marks were made by the aerial man my brother had come to the house to fix the aerial.  Anybody else would have stopped mowing .....................

Binker, we do have gas powered mowers but they are very expensive and our lawn just isn't big enough.  My father really needs a mower to sit on now (again lawn not big enough), or someone to do it for him ....................... :ssh: 

Clavain, good luck tomorrow for your interview.  Let us know how  you get on.

Horrified to hear about your father luna.  So glad all is well in the end.  And you Tag, such horrendous experiences.  I have to tell you both that we lost a good friend that way because he was not wearing shoes and was standing in wet grass - beware everyone, electric cables are dangerous. 

Just spent another lovely evening in our dance room with friends.  We have a dinner dance at the golf club on Saturday, so we all wanted to hone our skills for that.  Mind you, we also did a few sequence dances - just for the fun of it.

Tomorrow I can lay in bed for as long as I want because the decorator finished our hall today.  The light reflecting paint in a pale shade of green sets off our dark woodwork beautifully we think.  Tomorrow we can put the curtains up on the half landing window and start putting back the pictures and furniture.  But that's after a long lie in and leisurely breakfast. 

Good luck Clavain, hope you do well and ace the interview.

Luna, that must have been so frightening for you, glad all was OK and your father will be more careful, but it is easily done if any thing distracts. Tag, your experience sounds dreadful. I cut the cord once long ago, but mower just stopped and I must have been lucky. Always had petrol mowers after that, but then  a youngster in our street lost an eye from a flying piece of gravel, so we all wear sunglasses or goggles when we mow. That was a sad way to learn a lesson.

Barblue  enjoy your first long lazy morning with your lovely freshly painted hall glowing at you :)

All good wishes for tomorrow Clavain - go for it. Lots  of good thoughts boosting you on from BGO :D

Good luck with the interview Clavain. Hopefully all will go well!

Have found everyone's lawnmower stories very interesting. Although I have never cut the cable myself I remember when a girl I worked with did. She was very lucky. She knocked herself out cold but a neeighbour heard the bang and came to investigate. He picked her up and took her to casualty where it was discovered that she had badly burnt her hand as she was holding the cable when she ran over it. Although painful her hand healed.

RG and I survived our first days back at work although they were very long and I think that I actually feel worse this morning than I did yesterday! South Africa feels a long way away now! RG is working this weekend so I am home alone to tackle the two cases of dirty washing sitting in our spare room and to put the house and garden back together after our ho!iday. At least that is an improvement on work and like you Barblue I intend having a lie in. I always find that I need a holiday to get over a holiday with RG, they are rarely relaxing affairs.

It looks like we are going back to Baton Rouge this weekend.  My husband's uncle has died and the funeral will either be Sunday or Monday (probably Monday).  My husband lived with this uncle and his family in high school, so it's a closer relationship than uncle and nephew sometimes is.  

I've been silently rooting for Clavain all day.  I hope the interview went well.

Actual Binker is still at the vet's, but he's doing great.  I think we are going to leave him there while we are gone.  They are putting pressure bandages on the wound and I don't think my mother and son would be up to dealing with that (actually, me neither--my husband might be, but it's clear that the vet thinks that they are better at it than we could ever hope to be and I think they are right).

It's been ages since I actually posted about a book, but that's because I've been reading the last two books that have been published in the "Game of Thrones" series.  It seems like I will never finish them.

My sympathy in  your family's loss, Binker, and hope you have a smooth and safe journey.   I am so sorry you have had so many hard things to deal with lately and hope things begin to run more smoothly for you soon.

It is  to good hear Actual Binker is doing well and you can be confident he is safe and expertly cared for.

So sorry to hear of your families loss Binker, it must be very hard for your husband as I suspect that the relationship was a close one. Hopefully Actual Binker will be on the mend when you arrive home and ready to come back home with you. Loving pets can always give you such a lift. As Grasshopper has said you do seem to have had more than your fair share of rough times recently, hopefully things will improve for you soon.

So sorry to read about your family loss Binker.  Hope the trip goes smoothly and that ABinker is much improved on your return home.

What a fabulous day of weather we had yesterday.  Lovely sunshine, and reasonably warm for the time of year in the sun, but once the clouds came over and the wind got up a bit you could still feel that chill that reminded us all that it was still early in the year. 

Still Mr. Barblue did me proud yesterday and gave up his usual game of golf to help get the house back together after the hall redecoration.  It seemed such an easy task - vacuum the carpet, hang the new curtains and replace a couple of tables, mirror and pictures.  It itself that was not too bad, but then we realised that a film of dust from the rubbing down of walls, etc., had filtered into every room, despite keeping doors closed as much as possible.  In the end we had to go through the whole house with the vacuum and wet duster.  In a slightly exhausted state we took ourselves off to the local pub for lunch.  Then all we had to do was the weekly food shop!!! It was lovely to be out in the sunshine though so we almost enjoyed it!!

Today we intend to take it a little easier.  We have the Arsenal v. Wigan F.A. Cup semi-final (soccer) to watch on television and then it's off to the dinner dance at the golf club for a night of terpsichorean pleasure and some lovely food with friends.

Barblue just reading your post has given me a real lift this morning. I am feeling a bit sorry for myself today as I woke up to an empty space in the bed having slept through RG's alarm. He is working all weekend unfortunately so I am home alone to deal with the two cases of dirty washing, over-grown garden, mucky house and empty food cupboards. I miss RG terribly having spent every waking hour with him for the last two and a half weeks. After thirty years of marriage we still find it a real joy to be able to spend so much time together.

Having read your post and hearing of your busy tinme around the house I am trying to summon up the energy to get up and get on with things. Putting myself back together after sleeping so heavily may be a good place to start.

Sorry for your husband's loss Binker, funerals are such sad affairs especially when it's someone you've been close to.  

I'm sure they'll take good care of Binker A at the vets, he'll get lost of love and attention while you're away but you'll be glad to get home again and have him at home with you.

Glad that you're enjoying your new decorating BB although the clean up isn't a lot of fun but the lunch out later sounded just the ticket.  

I miss RG terribly having spent every waking hour with him for the last two and a half weeks. After thirty years of marriage we still find it a real joy to be able to spend so much time together.

Just signed in to BGO for the first time in over three weeks as CP has been doing the "keeping in touch" duties while away, saw this and suddenly came over all unnecessary!

Nice to be back on BGO even if it does mean the hols are over but you can't be on hols all your life, something has to pay for them. Back at work Thurs-Sunday this week, although this allowed us to use the first three days of this week as the final part of our trip. Think I might even have a book post to put on later, although it feels like weeks ago I finished my holiday read but is really only about 4 or 5 days!

Binker, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I hope all goes well with your trip. I've been thinking about A-Binker and am glad he will be well cared for while you are away.

Cp, being back to real life after a wonderful vacation is the worst. But your trip sounded fabulous, and that is the best. You are so fortunate to have such a loving relationship after so many years together. Your posts warm my heart. Oh, and tell RG I miss him on song chain! :)

It was 95 degrees farenheit here yesterday. I guess summer is here early. :(

ETA: I just saw you posted ahead of me, RG. Welcome back!

Edited by Kerry

I too am sorry to hear about your husband's uncle, Binker. I pray that you have a good journey and can share some happy memories with your family.

Rg and I had the big after holiday weigh-in this morning before he went off to work. Not too bad considering that while away we tended to eat what we wanted when we wanted it. As we were moving about most of the time we drank very little alcohol so that may have helped, not that either of us a great drinkers at the best of times. We have a few punds to lose but it could have been a lot worse.

The piles of washing in the spare room are slowly going down although I am sick of ironing! As the forecast is pretty good today and RG is at work I may well start to tackle the garden. As I did a fair bit before I went away it should not be too bad although due to the time of year it has grown amazingly. I am really looking forward to the garden this year as we did a fair bit of re-organising last year so should have the fun part of replacing plants this year. Even RG, not a great gardener as he has difficuty telling weeds from plants, seems enthusiastic. I suspect that he knows more than he lets on but will not admit it as he would rather leave it to me!

Am sitting watching our new 'squirrel proof' bird feeder. Our other feeder was filled up each morning and emptied by lunch time by three squirrels. They are clever little animals and seem to be able to figure out any obstacles in their path. This new feeder has a pressure bar and if anything lands on it heavier than one blackbird the feeding ports close down. The squirrels have been launching themselves at it and then sliding off as it is tubular shaped. We hope they've given up trying but are just keeping our fingers crossed - we've never beaten them in all the years we've had bird feeders. :)

Am sitting watching our new 'squirrel proof' bird feeder. Our other feeder was filled up each morning and emptied by lunch time by three squirrels. They are clever little animals and seem to be able to figure out any obstacles in their path. This new feeder has a pressure bar and if anything lands on it heavier than one blackbird the feeding ports close down. The squirrels have been launching themselves at it and then sliding off as it is tubular shaped. We hope they've given up trying but are just keeping our fingers crossed - we've never beaten them in all the years we've had bird feeders. :)

Good luck with this one, momac! I have a perpetual war with my squirrels in just the same way.

Recovering nicely from Passover last night. We had eleven of us, all the immediate family bar two. A happy mixture of tradition and iconoclasm. GREAT to be able to clear up slowly instead of feeling wrecked at work for the next two days.

Glad you enjoyed your celebrations Brightphoebus and that you have the time to chill and clear up at your leisure. We still have our family get together to come. Our daughter and her partner arrive for the holiday weekend Friday lunch-time and will stay until Monday lunch

-time. We have not seen them for about six weeks so we are really looking forward to it. Our son and daughter-in-law will be joining us for a lamb roast on Sunday so we will all be together.

I am glad that I am only working the one day this week as the holiday seems to have caught up, I have well and truly run out of steam! At least the two cases of dirty washing have been done and the house and garden have been put back together, if I could just sleep for the next week I should be recovered! I must encourage RG to plan calmer ho!idays!

Good luck with this one, momac! I have a perpetual war with my squirrels in just the same way.

Recovering nicely from Passover last night. We had eleven of us, all the immediate family bar two. A happy mixture of tradition and iconoclasm. GREAT to be able to clear up slowly instead of feeling wrecked at work for the next two days.

Hi brightphoebus:  What do you do for Passover celebration?  Do you have a big meal with special dishes and is one person responsible for making everything or does everyone participate in the preparation of the meal?  A friend of ours who does our tax returns always jokes about having to eat lots of what he calls 'cardboard' during Passover - he's single and I guess he visits with all his relatives at Passover and doesn't fancy the unleavened bread.  I'm interested learning about the different customs.  Yesterday in our morning paper there was a good article by a Rabbi comparing the Passover tradition and the Easter one.

So far the squirrel proof feeder is working, however, the birds are a bit wary of it too although I saw a yellow finch yesterday and that's the first one this year.  What a shock this morning to wake up to snow although hopefully it won't hang around too long.  It has been such a long cold winter.  The tulips have just started to come up and now they have a blanket of snow - what a climate!

My father has actually managed two routine appointments in a row, routinely. He also has a new smart phone which I need to know how to work and we've had a beautiful sunny and warm day out and about, walking in the sunshine.