what is everyone doing?

Sideshow Meg

We had a very quiet Hogmanay, relatively speaking. My brother and me both left my father (watching The Godfather) to bring in the bells by himself and there were only a few fireworks - a new experience for our area - and that was all. My father and me had a slight trauma earlier in the afternoon when we we went back to the car and couldn't get it started. Drivers amongst you will empathise with the feeling of horror when turning the key in the ignition and getting nothing. Especially in a car not yet 3 years old. Fortunately it was only a loose connection which was easily fixed and we were soon on our way home. Not before my father got cold though so that was a bit worrying. We were also lucky that we were parked in the car park of a shopping centre so didn't have to pace up and down the hard shoulder. Rescue came in just under an hour too, with my father declaring that he liked being old because it made him a priority!

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megustaleer

• Hazel

• lunababymoonchild

• momac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We had a very quiet Hogmanay, relatively speaking. My brother and me both left my father (watching The Godfather) to bring in the bells by himself and there were only a few fireworks - a new experience for our area - and that was all. My father and me had a slight trauma earlier in the afternoon when we we went back to the car and couldn't get it started. Drivers amongst you will empathise with the feeling of horror when turning the key in the ignition and getting nothing. Especially in a car not yet 3 years old. Fortunately it was only a loose connection which was easily fixed and we were soon on our way home. Not before my father got cold though so that was a bit worrying. We were also lucky that we were parked in the car park of a shopping centre so didn't have to pace up and down the hard shoulder. Rescue came in just under an hour too, with my father declaring that he liked being old because it made him a priority!

Happy New Year Luna. Lets hope your dad is not troubled too much by the cold. Good job the car was not too much of a problem.

Wishing everyone on BGO a very happy and healthy 2014. 

Can't believe I'm already up since I didn't get to bed until well after 1.00 this morning and then I read for half an hour too!  Too much food, perhaps hopefully just the right amount of alcohol (not forgetting the champagne) and a wonderful evening spend with a few of our dance friends for a lovely dinner.  We had word quizzes throughout the meal and it was great fun.  Didn't see or hear too many fireworks this year, but a neighbour sent up a Chinese lantern that sadly got caught in a tree!

I am now officially starting a new eating regime that will help me lose the pounds I've put on over the festivities.  I don't like the word 'diet' because it makes me feel hungry.

Wishing everyone on BGO a very happy and healthy 2014. 

Can't believe I'm already up since I didn't get to bed until well after 1.00 this morning and then I read for half an hour too!  Too much food, perhaps hopefully just the right amount of alcohol (not forgetting the champagne) and a wonderful evening spend with a few of our dance friends for a lovely dinner.  We had word quizzes throughout the meal and it was great fun.  Didn't see or hear too many fireworks this year, but a neighbour sent up a Chinese lantern that sadly got caught in a tree!

I am now officially starting a new eating regime that will help me lose the pounds I've put on over the festivities.  I don't like the word 'diet' because it makes me feel hungry.

I agree about the eating regime. My tummy this morning is less than settled and clothes are decidedly snug due I suspect to the over eating of rich food.

Happy New Year Luna. Lets hope your dad is not troubled too much by the cold. Good job the car was not too much of a problem.

Thank you Cherrypie, a wonderful new year to you too. At 9.27 am I am just now hearing my father get up so yet to find out how he is but he was fine before I went to bed so I'm not expecting anything nasty.

The weather seems to be damp but otherwise calm today, a welcome change.

Happy New Year all, and all the best for 2014.

Family Hazel are off for a bit of a hillwalk today with Brodie. She doesn't know it yet, she's snoozing. Then tonight we will watch Sherlock and David Blaine. Been looking forward to Sherlock since the beginning of December!

Realised it's been ages since I've been on here so my one and only new year's resolution is to visit far more often! Happy New Year to you all! :D

Lovely to hear from you lucyb. Hope you had a great festive season. Love your Resolution. The only one I've made with myself so far is to cook more new recipes and thereby eat at home more often (we tend eaten out a couple of times a week and I've become lazy with the cooking). This is all part of my trying to lose some weight regime.

The weather here is awful. It's so dark we have to have the lights on. I've been out to buy some fruit and got buffeted by the wind and rain which is getting stronger and heavier all the time. It's a good book for me this afternoon (with one eye on the sport on TV);-)

Happy New Year all, and all the best for 2014.

Family Hazel are off for a bit of a hillwalk today with Brodie. She doesn't know it yet, she's snoozing. Then tonight we will watch Sherlock and David Blaine. Been looking forward to Sherlock since the beginning of December!

I've been holding my breath waiting for it. Can't wait!

I'm wishing everyone a Happy New Year from a very hot, humid Lusaka. I'm waiting for 1810 hrs (6.10pm) for Part 2 of Last Night of the Proms. Watched part 1 last night. I will get all patriotic and emotional and sing along as I sip my wine and wish I could have been there.

I've been holding my breath waiting for it. Can't wait!

Hi Luna, you've just popped up. I am sooooooo envious. Please pay extra special attention and enjoy it for me too! :D

RG up at 3.30 am tomorrow so will have to record the new Sherlock episode! Cannot wait. RG not home from work yet and have heard nothing from him so no idea how long his day will be. As I did not wake when he left this morning I have not even wished him a Happy New Year.

I'm wishing everyone a Happy New Year from a very hot, humid Lusaka. I'm waiting for 1810 hrs (6.10pm) for Part 2 of Last Night of the Proms. Watched part 1 last night. I will get all patriotic and emotional and sing along as I sip my wine and wish I could have been there.

Hi Luna, you've just popped up. I am sooooooo envious. Please pay extra special attention and enjoy it for me too! :D

That reminds me to contact the music store to get Last Night on CD as the recordings I have are LP's and I no longer have a turntable or device for playing them. We have a Bose system which plays CD's - no separate speakers required - really great sound and no dangling wires anywhere but no turntable! :(

Right at this moment, scratching my head once again in frustration at an apparent IT glitch, this time BGO-related, and wondering if anyone out there in BGOland has an answer or suggestion.  Have tried Meg and Tag as moderators but doesn't seem to be something they have come across.

When I first joined BGO, if I hit the 'quote' option to reply to a specific post, a reply box would open up, with an infill box at the top showing the post I was replying to, below which I could then type any text.  Now, when I hit the 'quote' option, it just goes straight to the reply box but without the quoted post.  Cherrypie's is working OK but it's not working for me.  Any thoughts???

I have had this problem in the past RG and someone did give a permanent answer to the problem.  At the moment, it's happening to me again and I have found a way round it but I am sure it's not the permanent answer.  In the top left-hand corner of the Reply to this topic box there is a 'switch' icon.  If I click on that - then go back to the post I want to quote and click on the word 'Quote' - it comes up in the Reply box.  It doesn't look like the typing I'm doing now, it's a bit smaller.  However, I then add my response, which also comes up in the smaller type.  But, when I click on Post, it comes up in the right manner within the subject in which I'm posting.

All that sounds a bit garbled, but I hope it helps.  I know there is a better answer but I have not found it yet.  It might be in the help section somewhere but I have not had time to trawl through it all yet.

Re the above, I've just found the post that helped me with my problem last time.  Grasshopper posted in August in the Site News and Support section, sub-section Site Problems.  Post No. 36 on that date tells me to click on the 'lock', which I now see as a 'light switch' which is the first icon on the toolbar of this Reply section.  At that time my problem was that the whole toolbar was feint, not that I could not get the Quote to work.  When you do click on the switch icon, the whole of the Reply section will go feint again.  However, once you click on Post it rectifies itself.  Not sure any of this is the answer to our current problem, but maybe Grasshopper can help us again with this similar problem. 

Re the above, I've just found the post that helped me with my problem last time.  Grasshopper posted in August in the Site News and Support section, sub-section Site Problems.  Post No. 36 on that date tells me to click on the 'lock', which I now see as a 'light switch' which is the first icon on the toolbar of this Reply section.  At that time my problem was that the whole toolbar was feint, not that I could not get the Quote to work.  When you do click on the switch icon, the whole of the Reply section will go feint again.  However, once you click on Post it rectifies itself.  Not sure any of this is the answer to our current problem, but maybe Grasshopper can help us again with this similar problem.

Sorry RG and barblue, I haven't come across this and can't help. I did this quote without clicking the light switch and it came in the reply box. Will see if it posts

Edit Yes it did. RG you're hexed but they like Cherrypie.

Edited by grasshopper

Sorry RG and barblue, I haven't come across this and can't help. I did this quote without clicking the light switch and it came in the reply box. Will see if it postsEdit Yes it did. RG you're hexed but they like Cherrypie.

I cannot believe that RG is having computer problems and I am not. I am the most useless person on the computer imaginable whereas RG, although not an expert, is still pretty tuned in! It is driving him scatty being unable to work it out. I am sure when he is home from work and reads peoples posts he will give all advice a try.

I have just noticed my old second hand copy of Harper Lee's To kill a Mocking Bird on RG's bedside. Whoopeeeee! I read this stunning book last year and was completely blown away, in fact I cannot belive that I did not mention it in my stand out reads for 2013 post. I cannot wait for RG to really get started so that we can have a good old natter about it. He has bought me a copy of the DVD which I have not got around to viewing yet so I guess I will have to wait now until he finishs the book. I hope he gets on with it. I guess I will be doing the cooking and washing up to speed him up a bit.

He has bought me a copy of the DVD which I have not got around to viewing yet so I guess I will have to wait now until he finishs the book.

You're in for a treat, just have a box of tissues to hand.

I've just been for a 10 mile run in the winter sunshine.  Beats working!

Started the NY with a cold. Dosed myself with massive quantities of vit C last night, and finished up the remains of the Christmas mulled fruit juice, nice & hot and with a dash of alcohol to give it some purpose.

This morning the sore throat has gone, but my nose is very blocked, and I have a migraine-ish headache.

Hope that's gone by tomorrow as we've eaten all the leftovers bar 4 mice-pies, the fridge is empty of all but 1/2 a pasta bake and I need to go shopping

On a cheerier note, I have discovered evidence of several books that I missed off my 2013 book list - it looks much healthier now they have been added!