Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Circular needles?  For knitting circles?

A pair of needle tips, usually about 4" long, joined by a length of flexible cable for continuous knitting in 'rounds'  to produce a seamless tube for socks, sweaters, hats etc.

Can also be used for knitting backwards and forwards in 'rows' as one would with normal straight pins. I use them that way, especially if knitting on a bus/coach/train, as I'm less likely to annoy my neighbour by jabbing them with my needles

Knitting "in the round"

Although we live so close we rarely go and this must be only my 3rd visit in 20 years.  Have to admit they did look quite good this year. 

Wish I could be there to see the Iluminations - was probably my favourite time of the year in Blackpool with the prom all lit up.  

I am similar to Barblue. I have live in the N.W.all my life and have only seen Blackpool illuminations twice - once as a child and once to take our children. Unfortunately both times were cold, wet and windy, so we didn't get the best view.

We did see lights this weekend though, Bury of all places had a 'Light Night' which was surprisingly enjoyable. The town centre was closed to traffic and transformed. The there was an illuminated giant peach for children's stories, surrounded by hundreds of moons hanging from the trees around. The 'Caste' (drill-hall) had the Grimms' Fairytale 'Briar Rose' projected onto it and looked magnificent with as the roses grew upwards to hide it. The Parish church garden was surrounded by burning torches witha harpist playing in the middle and all the streets were lit up and scattered with street vendors.  It was a really friendly, family atmosphere, unusual for a Friday night in the town centre. . . and it didn't rain which probably helped.

We did see lights this weekend though, Bury of all places had a 'Light Night' which was surprisingly enjoyable. The town centre was closed to traffic and transformed. The there was an illuminated giant peach for children's stories, surrounded by hundreds of moons hanging from the trees around. The 'Caste' (drill-hall) had the Grimms' Fairytale 'Briar Rose' projected onto it and looked magnificent with as the roses grew upwards to hide it. The Parish church garden was surrounded by burning torches witha harpist playing in the middle and all the streets were lit up and scattered with street vendors.  It was a really friendly, family atmosphere, unusual for a Friday night in the town centre. . . and it didn't rain which probably helped.

What a lovely description, Angel. Suddenly, I feel very homesick for England and a real traditional festivity.

What a lovely description, Angel. Suddenly, I feel very homesick for England and a real traditional festivity.

I think the event made me feel a little like that, even though I'm in England, Ting. Those who live in little country villages may still have traditional festivity, but for a grim Northern town, Bury sometimes surprises me - there is great support for the Arts.

I am similar to Barblue. I have live in the N.W.all my life and have only seen Blackpool illuminations twice - once as a child and once to take our children. Unfortunately both times were cold, wet and windy, so we didn't get the best view.

Sounds lovely Angel, what a treat for you, like Ting, I get homesick every so often for the England I knew.  I guess a lot of things have changed since I lived there. My husband and I were back there in 1987 and I had a small reunion with some classmates and hubby met some of the people I went to school with. One of the other couples was from New Zealand.

I hope the Light Night is a yearly event for you.

using my mothers laptop as mine is being fixed (hopefully). its with the technician.

one good thing about being laptopless is more time for reading as you do not end up compucrastinating.

in a case of foresight, i did take a backup of my documents last sunday. :) so data loss would be very minimal

Edited by iff

We've been computerless since last week. Fortunately I got a Kobo Arc for my birthday so I'm back online. Could anyone tell me if there was a vote for the category for the next book group read as last time I looked you were discussing options and now I see that it's to be a Sherlock Holmes? Did I miss something?

We've been computerless since last week. Fortunately I got a Kobo Arc for my birthday so I'm back online. Could anyone tell me if there was a vote for the category for the next book group read as last time I looked you were discussing options and now I see that it's to be a Sherlock Holmes? Did I miss something?

No you didn't miss anything, we're still looking for nominations for Sherlock Holmes, help us out !

. Could anyone tell me if there was a vote for the category for the next book group read as last time I looked you were discussing options and now I see that it's to be a Sherlock Holmes? Did I miss something?

The Sherlock Holmes theme, I think, is next on a list of themes we made a while back. As luna said,  nominations are still open for the actual book/story we are to read, but I don't know how long for.

There is also a thread open to suggest themes for future Book Group reads, but it hasn't coming up with many ideas so far.

Our shower was fixed!  It cut out on me, again, last Friday and the man who came out to fix it told us it needed three separate parts and confirmed that an electricity spike wouldn't affect it.

He couldn't, however, tell us why it was only me that it cut out on.

Another shoulda-listened-to-me episode in the Moonchild household.

We are painting our kitchen.  Only the ceiling to go but oh so tedious.  Lovely colour though, if I say so myself (I chose it) so I don't get ignored all the time.

Hope your shower wasn't costly to fix - now you can shower without worrying about  rinse water.  :)

Just came back from the doctor, got my 'flu shot.  It's amazing, they seem to have a gizmo that gives the shot without any sensation of the needle going in, it's magic!  I asked the nurse if she was sure it had gone in.  We had our shots knowing that over 65 people are not as well protected by it as the younger folks - was told that by a nurse we know and I've also read it in the newspaper. However, some protection is better than none at all I guess.

We had our first frost Saturday night, a neighbour was scraping the ice of his windshield yesterday morning.  'Tis the season.

Went to the cinema to see umm - I have forgotten its name already - yes, Gravity. The visuals of the Earth were good. Things bumping into each other were pretty good, too.

Went to the cinema to see umm - I have forgotten its name already - yes, Gravity. The visuals of the Earth were good. Things bumping into each other were pretty good, too.

I want to see Gravity but will have to wait until it comes out in DVD as we don't go to the movies - the Dolby sound is a bit too much for our elderly ears. Also, want to see Captain Phillips, looks like a good thriller as well as Gravity.

Started the autumn clear-up in the garden.

It feels too soon, as the weather is still so mild, and I may be  picking beans after the clocks have gone back, but I think that winter will come with a vengeance when it finally makes up its mind, and then I won't feel like going outside.

It seems odd not to have the lawn carpeted with leaves this year, but the Liquidambar has a much richer colour, thanks to the extra light now the big flowering cherry has gone. There aren't many leaves left on the Toffee-Apple Tree, but the smell is mouthwatering, and the westerly wind has been wafting it all across the garden. Yummy!

Started the autumn clear-up in the garden.

It feels too soon, as the weather is still so mild, and I may be  picking beans after the clocks have gone back, but I think that winter will come with a vengeance when it finally makes up its mind, and then I won't feel like going outside.

It seems odd not to have the lawn carpeted with leaves this year, but the Liquidambar has a much richer colour, thanks to the extra light now the big flowering cherry has gone. There aren't many leaves left on the Toffee-Apple Tree, but the smell is mouthwatering, and the westerly wind has been wafting it all across the garden. Yummy!

Do the Toffee Apples come already dipped? :) I guess they are a sweet apple. We don't have any fruit trees so always drive up to our 'apple man's' orchard to get our apples. He is getting quite elderly now and I don't know how much longer he'll be tending to his orchard. Our trees are still leafy and green but expect they'll have turned colour in the next week - even some talk of snow in the forecast. Brrrr!

Do the Toffee Apples come already dipped? :) I guess they are a sweet apple.

There are no apples at all! :(

The Toffee-Apple Tree is a colloquial name for the Katsura, (latin name Cercidiphyllum japonicum).  When the leaves change colour in autumn (to a rich yellow) they give off a sweet scent  just like burnt sugar. :yumyum:

There are no apples at all! :(

The Toffee-Apple Tree is a colloquial name for the Katsura, (latin name Cercidiphyllum japonicum).  When the leaves change colour in autumn (to a rich yellow) they give off a sweet scent  just like burnt sugar. :yumyum:

At least you get the nice smell of toffee apples - will have to find out if we have any Katsura trees here - maybe they are native to England.  

don't go to the movies - the Dolby sound is a bit too much for our elderly ears.

You are absolutely right about the sound, momac.  :yup:  I had my fingers in my ears a lot of the time.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy the movie when you do eventually see it.

You are absolutely right about the sound, momac.  :yup:  I had my fingers in my ears a lot of the time.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy the movie when you do eventually see it.

Hi Ting: I'm glad someone else finds the sound a bit much, sometimes when I say it some of the younger folk look at me in amazement.  I think they like the louder the better.

Took a fancy to reading about ancient Britain, one of those thoughts that appeared from nowhere, so have downloaded a book from Amazon called A Novel of Celtic Britain.  It's not at all written like a text book so it flows along quite well.  I've actually got a couple of books going at a time, Val McDermid's latest book Cross and Burn is quite good so far although lots of gore.   But Tony Hill is there to profile the murderer, hopefully, so I'll see how it turns out.  I was a little annoyed at the ending of her last book which just petered out at the end with no actual conclusion, it was as if she had lost interest.  So this is her second chance. :)  

Getting along to bedtime now, with luck I'll be in bed before the witching hour.  Talk to you again.  

I'm not sure it's got anything to do with Dolby as such, more the volume control.  Dolby just removes hiss, IIRC.

I'm not sure it's got anything to do with Dolby as such, more the volume control.  Dolby just removes hiss, IIRC.

Could be MFJ - I just know it's terribly loud.:)

That's the kitchen ceiling painted with, unfortunately for us, only the first coat. Still, home stretch now and only one more coat on the ceiling and we're finished. Just hope that I can find the doings for our 40+ year old pulley which is in dire need of revamping. Found a website for it and hope that the measurements match so that we don't have to buy a whole new pulley - can't contemplate life without it.

That's the kitchen ceiling painted with, unfortunately for us, only the first coat. Still, home stretch now and only one more coat on the ceiling and we're finished. Just hope that I can find the doings for our 40+ year old pulley which is in dire need of revamping. Found a website for it and hope that the measurements match so that we don't have to buy a whole new pulley - can't contemplate life without it.

I remember the pulley in my Granny's house. That was long before the advent of dryers. The laundry was done in the big kitchen sink and wrung out by hand. I wonder how we'd all manage if we had to go back to doing things that way! We certainly have it easier nowadays with respect to household chores. Hope you find a pulley or parts compatible with what you have Luna.

I remember the pulley in my Granny's house. That was long before the advent of dryers. The laundry was done in the big kitchen sink and wrung out by hand. I wonder how we'd all manage if we had to go back to doing things that way! We certainly have it easier nowadays with respect to household chores. Hope you find a pulley or parts compatible with what you have Luna.

Oddly we are the only people I know who have/had a pulley. However, my paternal grandmother had a mangle which she used for a very long time when I was a child. We are very lucky, we also have a tumble dryer without which I couldn't function either.