what is everyone doing?

Sideshow Meg

Can't believe that he's not 100% genuine  - he's a politician, isn't he? :wonder:

Amusing as he is, I generally find UKIP (The UK Independence Party) significantly more entertaining:

Hitting Journalists and Branding Women Sluts - Fun and Games at the UKIP Conference...

What's particularly amusing here is that this all happens on the same day Nigel Farage claims UKIP as a party has finally 'grown up'.

EDIT - you can view the spectacular embarrassment to Britain that is Godfrey Bloom, here...

I actually love the poor PR woman who's obviously been sent to 'look after' him trying to salvage it by asking the Sky News reporter if he knows what 'slut' actually means, observing that people probably don't know because of the lack of grammar school education (another UKIP policy).  Of course, for anyone living in the nineteenth century, as Godfrey clearly is, it means a slovenly woman.  For anyone in the modern age it means prostitute or promiscuous woman.  So bless her, she wasn't really helping.

Of course, no matter what she does, she's with Godfrey and as soon as he labels the reporter a 'sad little man' she leaps in with 'Off we go!'

Sadly the train was already careering down the tracks with a lot of hill to go.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megustaleer

• Hazel

• lunababymoonchild

• momac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course, for anyone living in the nineteenth centur y<snip>  it means a slovenly woman.  For anyone in the modern age it means prostitute or promiscuous woman.

It means slovenly woman to me, too.

I was only debating this with myself yesterday morning, on my way to catch the coach for my day out and leaving the house in a bit of a tip.

As far as my housekeeping standards are concerned I consider myself a slut - but I couldn't call myself one without being misunderstood - would slattern do? Or does that have the same connotations?

The adjective 'slovenly' would be apt, but I'm not used to "sloven" as a noun.

As far as my housekeeping standards are concerned I consider myself a slut - but I couldn't call myself one without being misunderstood

Well that's the point, isn't it.  You understand perfectly well what the common meaning is today, even if it had a different slant when you were younger.  As a politician, he needs to be more in touch, when in fact he seems stubbornly determined to live in exactly the world he wants to.

Amusing as he is, I generally find UKIP (The UK Independence Party) significantly more entertaining:

Thank you for the links, very enlightening.     I also checked out the UKIP policies on Wiki and guess what?   Our new government must have been inspired and encouraged by their like mindedness, but I will not pursue this. :tapedshut   Be afraid, be very afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been very busy this week getting ready for a special visitor I haven't seen since 2005.

I've been really busy this week, packing, to go on my first holiday since 2005.

Confession time  :ph34r:  - grasshopper and I are sisters and we are having a non-stop Talk Fest in Canberra   :) - Greetings everyone from Australia :wavey:

:dance:  :banana:  :banana:  :arms:

Quite a 24 hours for clan Gram.

Two weeks ago, our cat Max, who is just over a year old, disappeared. We put flyers through our neighbours' doors appealing for them to look for him, but to no avail. On Saturday, we consigned his bed, scratching post, litter tray, toys and feeding bowl to the garage, assuming they'd never be used again.

Yesterday we popped to the other side of our nearby main road, where there is a small park with a playground Lady L junior likes. Racing ahead of us on her bike, she jumped off it on arrival at the playground and ran back shouting, "It's Max!" And it was, a little thinner, looking a bit ragged, but otherwise apparently unharmed. Miracles do happen. We're keeping him in for a few weeks and will probably get him checked over by a vet, but it's great to have him back.

Good timing, too. We moved house in June to the other side of the north London suburb where we live. Despite immediately informing the council we wanted 8 year old Lady L junior to move to a school 5 minutes' walk from our new place, the council refused to lift a finger to do anything at the time, citing the imminent school holidays, so our hopes of having her there to start the new school year were dashed. Thus, we had to trek to the old school every day, which became more of an ordeal for the increasingly pregnant, non-driving Lady L.

After apparently doing nothing for 3 months, the new school contacted us 10 days ago asking if Lady L junior could start last week. We said no, not enough notice. Since they threatened to take the place away, we agreed she would start today, too late for her Mum to get the day off, so first day duties fell to step-dad. To give Lady L junior huge credit, I think I was more nervous than she was, and she looked very smart in her new uniform. The new school seems a more traditional place than the old one - she's going to have to learn to tie a tie following years of polo shirts. Max's disappearance had probably hit Lady L junior the hardest, so his reappearance could hardly have been better timed.      

Quite a 24 hours for clan Gram.

Two weeks ago, our cat Max, who is just over a year old, disappeared. ...

..."It's Max!" And it was, a little thinner, looking a bit ragged, but otherwise apparently unharmed. ...

We moved house in June to the other side of the north London suburb where we live.

Could be that Max had been over to check out his old home, and then decided that he's happy to stay with you all at the new place.

Could be that Max had been over to check out his old home, and then decided that he's happy to stay with you all at the new place.

The same thing happened to my cat. She disappeared for weeks on end (after being chased by a big dog), and was eventually spotted hanging about the neighbourhood. 

One day, she came back, just like that.

Hope Lady L Jr likes her new school!

Confession time  :ph34r:  - grasshopper and I are sisters and we are having a non-stop Talk Fest in Canberra   :) - Greetings everyone from Australia :wavey:

You haven't seen each other since 2005?!  That's a serious amount of catching up to do.  Hope you have the best time.

I think this is unlikely. We got Max as a kitten last year and didn't let him outside at all at the old flat, partly because it was on a busy main road and partly because there was a fox family living over the back fence.

We're working on the theory that he made it over to the playground, which is the other side of a different busy main road, and was then too frightened to come back again. Some of the playground's visitors have been feeding him - there were a couple of Mums there when we found him who confessed to doing just that - or he has been foraging for himself while he's been gone.   

Hope Lady L Jr likes her new school!

First day reports have been positive, which is a relief :-), although I think it was a strain, as she had a major meltdown about having a shower before bed last night :-(.  

Ting and Grasshopper, I began to wonder if you all were related, once you both referenced 2005 in your posts.  How hard it is to be separated for so long, but it's wonderful that you are going to have a reunion.

Cats do like to wander.  My childhood cat, White Lily (a/k/a The Best Cat Ever), was a wanderer and she wandered right into the home of little old lady several blocks over who kept her inside and spoiled her with cat food and treats.  When my father took me door-to-door to look for her, I was thrilled to have her back again.  In retrospect, I can tell my father thought we should have left her there.  The little old lady was probably lonely and White Lily was living quite the high life.  I was too little to think of anybody but myself.  

A new school is always an adjustment, often more for the parents than for the kids.  

:dance:  :banana:  :banana:  :arms:

I remembered this from your introduction,

" I have been introduced by a member, whom I suspect is Grasshopper.  If I have guessed correctly, then Gh will remember who gave us the love of books and reading, and Duckpuddle Alley - or was it Puddleduck Alley ...? "

I assumed you were childhood friends - never thought of sisters. Have fun.

We have been having fun playing the grandparent roles. We had quick, unplanned dash down to Oxfordshire to kidnap a poorly grandson so that his parents (eldest daughter and husband) could continue work and then just as he recovered Grandchild number 3 was born in Manchester (second daughter and husband) - a beautiful baby girl. All traumas over now and, as a result, it's been a really lovely family weekend.

Now it's time to catch up with BGO posts.

" I have been introduced by a member, whom I suspect is Grasshopper.  If I have guessed correctly, then Gh will remember who gave us the love of books and reading, and Duckpuddle Alley - or was it Puddleduck Alley ...? "

We have been having fun playing the grandparent roles. We had quick, unplanned dash down to Oxfordshire to kidnap a poorly grandson so that his parents (eldest daughter and husband) could continue work and then just as he recovered Grandchild number 3 was born in Manchester (second daughter and husband) - a beautiful baby girl. All traumas over now and, as a result, it's been a really lovely family weekend.

Now it's time to catch up with BGO posts.

Congratulations Angel!

We moved house in June to the other side of the north London suburb where we live. Despite immediately informing the council we wanted 8 year old Lady L junior to move to a school 5 minutes' walk from our new place, the council refused to lift a finger to do anything at the time, citing the imminent school holidays, so our hopes of having her there to start the new school year were dashed. Thus, we had to trek to the old school every day, which became more of an ordeal for the increasingly pregnant, non-driving Lady L.

After apparently doing nothing for 3 months, the new school contacted us 10 days ago asking if Lady L junior could start last week. We said no, not enough notice. Since they threatened to take the place away, we agreed she would start today, too late for her Mum to get the day off, so first day duties fell to step-dad. To give Lady L junior huge credit, I think I was more nervous than she was, and she looked very smart in her new uniform. The new school seems a more traditional place than the old one - she's going to have to learn to tie a tie following years of polo shirts. Max's disappearance had probably hit Lady L junior the hardest, so his reappearance could hardly have been better timed.      

We decided a year ago to move our eldest boy - part-way through Year 9 at the time - to a school further away from home as we were not happy at the way his school were handling bullying issues.  The council were extremely helpful, as were the new school and the move was all sorted within 3 to 4 weeks.  On what was supposed to be his penultimate day at his old school, he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, so had to start at his new school after half term whilst just getting used to self-injecting 4 times a day.

I must admit, I was very dubious about moving him to a new school, but I have to say it was the best thing we could have done.  The school he is at now is so much better than the old one in so many ways.  The staff are excellent - not just the teachers, but the admin people who keep an eye on our boy's visits to the medical room to check his blood sugar.  Best of all, the standard of his school work and his attitude towards it has changed more than I would have believed possible.

Our younger boy started at the same school last month and is well settled already, again with a much improved attitude to homework (a major, major issue in his final year at Primary School!). 

Although we've lost the benefit of the free school bus which was available to the old (closer) school, I can drop the boys off on my way to the office and Mrs MFJ picks them up in the afternoon.  Things have worked out far better than we could have expected.

MFJ: Glad that you got the boys' school sorted out and that they are doing well.  It's a worry when there are bullying types at a school and the staff aren't able to curb the behaviour.

Edited by momac

What a wonderful reunion for both of you.  Hope you have a great time.   :)

Thanks from both of us, Momac! The great time is guaranteed.

Hooray!

Thanks Luna - and grasshopper says Hi, but she's a bit busy right now (cooking) to thank you herself!

You haven't seen each other since 2005?!  That's a serious amount of catching up to do.  Hope you have the best time.

Thanks Jen. I think I will need a holiday when I get home. Thanks from grasshopper, too!

Edited by Ting Mikyunyu

Ting and Grasshopper, I began to wonder if you all were related, once you both referenced 2005 in your posts.  How hard it is to be separated for so long, but it's wonderful that you are going to have a reunion.

You're right Binker.  It's tough being quite so far apart, and for so loong, but we are certainly making up for it now! Grasshopper says 'Hi'. (She's in the kitchen right now, doing 'kitcheny' things.)

Good remembering Angel.  I had been going through a bit of a rough time at work and my sister introduced me to BGO thinking it would cheer me up. (It definitely has.) She challenged me to guess who she was. It didn't take me long. As children, we were blessed by having parents who loved books and reading.  As often as he could afford, our father would buy us each a book, which we proudly placed in the bookcase in our bedroom. Everything in the house had a name, and the name of the bookcase was Duck Puddle Alley!

So happy to hear that your "grandparently" weekend turned out well.