what is everyone doing?

Sideshow Meg

But yes, I am thinking of taking it back to Smiths, as the young woman who sold it to me said (or maybe just implied?) that it would take ebooks from other sources, except Amazon - and foolishly said if I had trouble with it to go back.

She might regret that last bit :naughty:

That's the spirit, Meg.

I do hope all goes well for your father tomorrow.

Thank you, I'm confident that it will but he isn't.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megustaleer

• Hazel

• lunababymoonchild

• momac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sometimes get inexpensive Kindle thrillers where it might be the first time a writer is trying to get established and there are often  spelling errors etc., and I had a laugh at one I was reading tonight where one of the characters was 'pruning' in front of a mirror.  Even some of the more established authors sometimes have bloopers in the Kindle version of their books.

I noticed in The Luminaries in the Kindle version that when they use the word 'damned' it is shortened to just the first and last letters with dots in between to avoid having an expletive in the text.  It seems unusual as this is a fairly mild word compared to some that appear in print.

Back from the hospital, and it look increasingly likely that we don't need to go back for at least a fortnight . Phew!

Glad that all went o.k. with your father Luna.  

I was wondering if the laser procedure was being used to measure his eyes.  I know that I had the option of having my eyes measured the old-fashioned way or the laser procedure which apparently is more accurate for the lens implant.  I did have to pay for the laser and, as it happened, it didn't work for the left eye which was the one going to receive the new lens as the cataract was too dense, but it did work on the right eye, which measurement will probably be useless when the right eye needs a new lens and I'll have to pay again if I want the laser measurement.  Modern technology!  :(

Momac, he said that the laser was to cut holes in the eyes - microscopically of course - so that the pressure can't build up again and that makes the cataract operation easier. Perhaps it was measured at the same time, I don't know because I was in the waiting room at the time. He says it's a little uncomfortable, like when your eyes nip if you're overtired but otherwise he's fine.

Momac, he said that the laser was to cut holes in the eyes - microscopically of course - so that the pressure can't build up again and that makes the cataract operation easier. Perhaps it was measured at the same time, I don't know because I was in the waiting room at the time. He says it's a little uncomfortable, like when your eyes nip if you're overtired but otherwise he's fine.

Yes, that sounds different from what I had. Hope his eyes feel o.k. now as it sounds uncomfortable.

So glad this part went well for your father, Luna,  and you can feel more relieved as well.

Am enjoying your different  luna avatars :D

Ha, I couldn't make up my mind!

Thanks Grasshopper, I am very relieved not to be going to hospital to get my father out this week with the added benefit that the Sky+ is now working - all is well with the world.

The saga continues, but I won't bore you with the finer details of my hour in Smiths this morning. Suffice it to say that when I explained my problem to the assistant he asked me what Project Gutenberg was, and he had no idea why I couldn't drag & drop the downloads onto my Kobo. :banghead:

He sent me home with instructions on how to download Adobe Digital Editions, which is the alternative to drag & drop but, as I'm sure it was making some cock-up when downloading the Kobo set-up in the first place that got me in this mess, I'm not too keen on trying that.

I'm going to forget about it for the next 36 hours, anyway, as I'm having a day in Greenwich tomorrow (in the rain, according to this evening's weather forecast). Was going to take the Kobo for reading on the coach, but will take real books instead.

Thank you Angel.  I saw your other posts but too late to respond, I hope that you don't mind :dunce:

Of course not. I'm sure none of us send good wishes to get thanks. . . . and practically speaking, we could clog the whole site if we replied to everything.

That reminds me - I asked a question on eBay this week and the seller answered fully, so I replied, 'Thank you', only to get a response thanking me for my thank you.

Just been watching one of our best interviewers chatting for an hour with the Lord Mayor of London, Boris Johnson who opened the Melbourne Writers Festival. What an honest, interesting, entertaining and charming character, wish the interview could have gone on for another hour or two. He ended up by dramatically reciting from The Iliad in Ancient Greek. Hope he comes here again, I shall follow his future with added interest.

Meg- are there no 'how to' videos on YouTube?

Yes. I've looked at those, read various help notes, sought advice from various sources. I know 'how to', but my Kobo won't co-operate.

I have discovered that one of my Ds-i-L has a Kobo Touch, and we have been exchanging emails on & off for most of today.

Got no-where with drag&drop, so eventually I bit the bullet and installed Adobe Digital Editions - and now I'm in a worse mess than before:

1) the Kobo symbol with the eject button no longer appears under 'Devices' in Finder , so I can't eject the eReader, and so can't unplug it from the Mac.  Clicking on either the Kobo button in the dock, or the one in Applications just opens the Kobo desktop - no sign, in fact, that the actual eReader is connected at all! :banghead:

2) the instructions I got from Smiths say, after installing ADE, "connect your eReader to the computer and press "Authorise Device" - where is that? I can't see it on the Mac, on the ADE nor on the eReader - so ADE won't talk to it as it's not authorised.

I have managed to drag & drop the Project Gutenberg books into ADE - but I still can't get them into the eReader! - it must be something I did wrong, or omitted to do when I set it up. :dunce:  :cry:

Yesterday I had a lovely day in Greenwich, away from electronic devices. I took advantage of the dry weather late morning to walk along the Thames Pathway from the Cutty Sark to the O2 then, as it was starting to rain,  went back on the bus. I had a wander round Greenwich (undercover) Market, and bought lunch from one of the food stalls - plenty of choice, and I went for Ethiopian  :yumyum:. Then on to do a bit of Christmas shopping in Nauticalia (it's quite a good place for gifts for the men in my family), and a wander around the Old Naval Academy.

I was a bit weary when I got home.