Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

May I draw your attention to this article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1505200/Front-facing-buggies-blamed-for-poor-speech-development.html. **

This morning there was also a piece about it on (I think) Today. I've been banging on about it for years!I

** Can someone tell me how to do a proper link within the text? I feel really stupid, but I can't figure it out :banghead:

and where's the 'blush' smiley gone?

Not everything is as simple as it might seem. Daughter #3 (born 2012) has a travel system in which the car seat can only be put on the wheels facing the parent; and the pushchair seat can be put either way, but we almost always have it facing the parent.

Granted the article was written in 2005 about pushchair manufacturers introducing models that face both ways. Ahem. Daughter #1 (born 1992!) had such a pushchair too. So there may be an element of popularity and parents' choice involved, rather than just availability...

I love Bath and Somerset, however the Scrumpy is lethal!  :naughty:

What am I doing right now ...?  I'm way, way down memory lane because of you BananaKiwi.  I was in my birth town about a million years ago.  Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I imagine walking from my home to the local shops in Moorland Road, to buy custard slices and lardy cake at the bakery.  And a "quarter of liquorice comfits" at the sweet shop opposite. There is one amongst us who may also remember the coffin-maker/carpenter shop at the corner (spooky place) and wasn't there a ... Enough. It is nearly time for "QI"!

Took myself off on a coach trip to Oxford today. Walked around the town in therain before lunch, and when the sun came out afterwards, wandered around the Ashmolean Museum.

At regular intervals I read a bit more of my current book.

Tomorrow i will be making a couple of courgette cakes, and Mr meg will be taking me out in the evening for bapas (Belgian version of tapas)

Tomorrow i will be making a couple of courgette cakes, and Mr meg will be taking me out in the evening for bapas (Belgian version of tapas)

Sounds like intriguing fusion cuisine, meg. Frites bravas, anyone?

Like many West Country folk of my acquaintance, I have rather too much cider at a teenage party and haven't touched the stuff since.  I'm more of a real ale gal these days.

I have only tried a mouthful of Scrumpy once and that was enough to have me singing and dancing on the tables! :eek:  I'm teetotal and have been since 18 after my Grandfather (Policeman) supervised me getting drunk at home to show me what it felt like, along with how "nice" a hangover can be.yikes.gif   That cured me of drinking, lol!

What am I doing right now ...?  I'm way, way down memory lane because of you BananaKiwi.  I was in my birth town about a million years ago.  Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I imagine walking from my home to the local shops in Moorland Road, to buy custard slices and lardy cake at the bakery.  And a "quarter of liquorice comfits" at the sweet shop opposite. There is one amongst us who may also remember the coffin-maker/carpenter shop at the corner (spooky place) and wasn't there a ... Enough. It is nearly time for "QI"!

I hope your memories were pleasant ones.  My Dad was born in Bath to foreign parents, then they emmigrated to NZ in 1948.  My hometown is a small coastal town in Taranaki on the north Island.  When I can't sleep I sometimes think of the Marae (Maori meeting house) where I spent my childhood growing up.

Edited by BananaKiwi

I hope your memories were pleasant ones.  My Dad was born in Bath to foreign parents, then they emmigrated to NZ in 1948.  My hometown is a small coastal town in Taranaki on the north Island.  When I can't sleep I sometimes think of the Marae (Maori meeting house) where I spent my childhood growing up.

Now that sounds like good memories indeed!   Yes thank you, my childhood memories are all good, even my scrumpy hangover which was pretty rough. :scared:

I'm not prepared to say what effect  1/2pt cider on an empty stomach after a busy day had on me, but I avoided cider for years afterwards. :naughty:

Current activity is pickle and chutney-making. The house reeks of spiced vinegar and its only the start of the preserving season!

Back from a week's dancing holiday near Hungerford.  There were thunderstorms, torrential rain and high humidity, but somehow I didn't really notice because we were either at classes for Salsa, Rumba, Argentine Tango during the day and then danced the night away. :dance:

Edited by Barblue

I'm awaiting the arrival of the in-laws for their biennial visit.  We have thunder and torrential rain to offer them.  Wish I'd baked a cake...

Wish I'd baked a cake...

I can, but I don't like cakes or biscuits.blink.png It's such a waste of a talent, lol!

I'm having a relaxing Sunday.  Bought the kitties their seaweed and tired them out with catnip bubbles. 

Do kitties like seaweed?

My tribe love it!  I tear up strips of dried and roasted Sushi Nori and keep it in an airtight container.  They also love to eat certain salad leaves (with or without Olive oil.  No salad can be left unattended because they will eat it, lol.) and prefer them over Kitty grass. 

I go back to work a week today after the long summer holiday.

I came in the past two days to meet with new staff and work on the exam results, and I am in work today in my scruffiest clothes to tidy up my classroom. If I was more organised during the year, this would not be necessary, but sadly it is. I am having a break just now to eat my sandwiches, but otherwise I am throwing out broken pencils, bits of paper and old posters, and gradually remembering all the things I need to turn my thoughts to when I come back in a week. :mad:

I also need to share my classroom with a more senior member of staff, so I am keen to have my act together and make sure she knows where to find things! (I can have an obscure system which only I and my pupils understand ...)

Hope all the teachers and other school staff out there are enjoying the break!

I've just had to turn down my friend who asked for help at the balloon festival this weekend as I managed to fully book myself working at motorsport things.  Argh.

I'm actually due a ride on his balloon as I've helped enough in the past.  Maybe next year!

I've just had to turn down my friend who asked for help at the balloon festival this weekend as I managed to fully book myself working at motorsport things.  Argh.

I'm actually due a ride on his balloon as I've helped enough in the past.  Maybe next year!

I'm guessing you're somewhere near Bristol then Mark? Happy memories of a year spent in Bristol after returning from overseas, including waking up at about 5am one August morning, seeing a gorgeous sunrise and a sky dotted with early morning balloonists :)

I'm guessing you're somewhere near Bristol then Mark? Happy memories of a year spent in Bristol after returning from overseas, including waking up at about 5am one August morning, seeing a gorgeous sunrise and a sky dotted with early morning balloonists :)

Yes, I live just outside Bristol.  They fly the balloons very early in the morning or in the evening, there's a good reason for it (which I either don't know or have forgotten!)

I think the air is less turbulent in the morning at least! Not sure about evening, you'd think after a day of heat that things would be pretty active by then...

I've spent most of the past few days at the hospital with my mother.  She was found, almost by accident, to have an irregular heartbeat and given blood thinners.  She reacted poorly to the medicine (I think it irritated her esophagus something fierce) and it felt so bad that on Monday afternoon, she drove herself to the emergency room.  I met her there and we waited for 6 hours (although when I saw the others there, I didn't blame them--several head wounds, etc.).  She finally was given a room in the emergency room at 10 p.m. and then moved to the main hospital at 3:45 a.m. (I left at 2:15 a.m.).

On Tuesday, they ran a bunch of tests and then this morning she had a Trans-Esophageal Endoscopy with Cardio-something, which was an inspection of the heart and then, since there were no blood clots, a shocking of the heart back into rhythm.  Which sounds awful, but was done in 10 minutes.  It worked, but her heart is still trying to become a-rhythmic and so they are keeping her another night, but I expect her to go home tomorrow as her on-going treatment is becoming much clearer.  Really, she's ready to go home now because the heart thing doesn't bother her at all, although her esophagus continues to be irritated. She's unhappy about missing a friend's birthday party tonight.

We are lucky that she's in good health (exercises a lot) and this was caught in time before it caused a stroke.  

But I'm exhausted.

Edited by Binker

That can't have been an easy couple of days, Binker.  It's particularly aggravating when you're left feeling something was entirely avoidable.  Too many people seem to be given medicines which end up making them worse!  Anyway, I'm glad she's recovering well and from what I've heard of that problem she should be able to get back to normal and forget all about it!  Sounds like you need an early night tonight!

She did need blood thinners and the one she was given is supposed to be very good.  I'm not sure why it was so hard on her, but they've switched her to a different one that she seems to be tolerating very well.  

I do want an early night, but the next episode of "The Bridge" is on tonight as is the first episode of "Broadchurch."  So, we'll see.

My mother is home and feeling good, I'm pleased to say.  In fact, we are taking her out to the movies tonight (we are going to see the latest "Percy Jackson" movie).

We had a very mild and rainy July, but August is acting just like it always does.  It's 103 degrees today (which I think is almost 40 degrees Celsius).  That really hot weather is supposed to last through early next week and then we'll get a break--of about 10 degrees.  The entire rest of the country is getting a lot--really, too much--rain, but we are bone dry for now.

Sorry that your mother had a rough time - glad that she is better. You will all be relieved. Best wishes to her.