Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

All the very best on your wedding day Gram and Lady L - good wishes for your married life together. :clap:

Glad to see from facebook that all went well for Grammath and Lady Lazarus last week.

We arrived back from holiday early on Tuesday. On Wednesday I went shopping for several kilos of marzipan, fondant icing and other bits & bobs for Younger Son's wedding cake, and today I managed to get all three cakes covered in marzipan.

I nearly dropped the big 'un (12" diameter) off the edge of the table, which was a bit scary!

The first application of icing is scheduled for Monday.

In the meantime I have to take half a dozen trays of plants to a charity plant sale tomorrow, then on Saturday attend said plant sale to buy a load more. I still have to get my veggie seedlings planted out, as they hadn't made enough growth to do so before we went away.

Looks like there will be no carrots again this year. Germination was OK, but the seedlings all disappeared while we were away. It could have been slugs taking advantage of the wet conditions or, more likely, the drying wind over the weekend dessicated them as the top couple of inches of the raised beds dry out very quickly. This is the third year I've failed to get any carrots to grow.

This is the third year I've failed to get any carrots to grow.

That's a shame, meg. My fight has been with the local fox, who's taken to digging out a very specific part of my wall-based planting strip. When I was planting it I did dig up a Markie - one of the dog treats which is given to him every night by my neighbour (and very occasionally me!). He'd obviously buried it there for safe keeping, but dastardly soul that I am, I stole it.

Either he's continuing to look for it or is taking revenge. I wouldn't put it past him.

Anyway, I've put in some old upturned forks, which won't injure him but won't be pleasant on the paws. For the time being it's worked...

Anyway, I've put in some old upturned forks, which won't injure him but won't be pleasant on the paws. For the time being it's worked...
I like your style. Our neighbour feeds the foxes in the area, 7 at the last count but she does it at the front of the house. I might try forks under the hedge bordering the property to discourage the cats.

By the by, I have a cold and I'm not chuffed about it.

Hope you're better soon Luna.

:)

I've still got the cold but not that you'd notice and I feel terrible!

Hope it goes away soon Luna, take it easy and pamper yourself.

Cake-icing on schedule. The tops of all three cakes are now covered in fondant, as are the sides of the smaller two. Those are the easy bits done. Someone else is doing the lettering on the big 'un for me, and then it's up to me to do the tricky trimming.

None of it is tricky really, it's just that I am not used to icing cakes, other than for the kids birthdays, and this thing is going to be on display all the way through the reception. :scared:

Sowed more carrot seed on Friday. Triumph of hope over experience!

Assorted climbing beans going in today, and squashes on Wednesday*, if the weather holds.

* On Tuesday we are singing at a care home and I don't want my fingernails to match my black dress ;):D

It was our Ruby Wedding last Friday. Completely ignored by everyone.

Many Congratulations Meg. We had ours last September. Celebrated on a small scale with our sons and their families. Made us realise where those years had gone though!

Just heard that our granddaughter has been accepted for a Student Research Expedition to Antarctica from December 27th to January 14th. She has a real adventurous spirit - it will be a trip of a lifetime for her.

Many Congratulations Meg. We had ours last September. Celebrated on a small scale with our sons and their families. Made us realise where those years had gone though!

Belated congratulations from me Meg. Best wishes for the future too.

Just heard that our granddaughter has been accepted for a Student Research Expedition to Antarctica from December 27th to January 14th. She has a real adventurous spirit - it will be a trip of a lifetime for her.

I would love to go to Antarctica. She's very lucky indeed!

Call me miserable if you like but I'm getting done with the hot dry weather and could do with a break. Decided to stay inside today, despite the glorious weather. I do have Standing in Another Man's Grave to look forward to, though.

Antarctica does sound exciting, I do like the cold.

I would love to go to Antarctica. She's very lucky indeed!

David - I'm not sure where she gets her adventurous spirit from but it's certainly not from her grandmother's side of the family.

:D

Call me miserable if you like but I'm getting done with the hot dry weather and could do with a break. Decided to stay inside today, despite the glorious weather. I do have Standing in Another Man's Grave to look forward to, though.

Antarctica does sound exciting, I do like the cold.

When Alannis (gdaughter) goes to Antarctica it will be their summertime but I don't know what that means in terms of temperature, but I would imagine it won't be hot.

I am currently enjoying the sun Glasgow-style: sunburned, sprinkler on with kids running in and out of it and about to start a BBQ. Just need a bottle of Bucky now. Bleugh!

Wow! How exciting!

Pleasant sunny walk along the seafront marred by group of jerks who'd brought a professional sound system down to the greensward and for around a quarter of a mile turned the experience into something like a rave with their booming techno-bilge. I hope at the very least a seagull crapped on their speakers.