Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Annoyed at the same place of work as my partner was given an oral warning for being off sick in December. She was off sick for 9 days with flu. This was her first sick absence in 5 years.
My current employer only pays statutory sick leave, something I find quite shocking. It left a lot of people short of money after being struck down with that awful flu before Christmas. To get a warning for being ill is offensive. I think employers know that they can get away with treating their staff far worse than they could before the recession hit.

Just finished making flapjacks here at home for my wife who will be bringing them to work tomorrow :)

It's a break from the endless emails saying 'Thank you for your email but we don't currently need assistance from freelance medical writers' :(

I never understood how people could become depressed while unemployed but at least I understand it now...that's a positive, right?

Just finished making flapjacks here at home for my wife who will be bringing them to work tomorrow :)

It's a break from the endless emails saying 'Thank you for your email but we don't currently need assistance from freelance medical writers' :(

I never understood how people could become depressed while unemployed but at least I understand it now...that's a positive, right?

At least you're getting answering emails. How much more depressing would it be if nobody answered you at all, ever.

The law of averages kicks in there, plus the fact that my emails are extremely well targeted :)

So if you send 10 emails you might get one response, or if you send 200 you might get 20 responses. Me, I'm the guy that sends 100 emails, all targeted effectively so I get maybe 50-60 responses. :) That's why I get responses...just not the responses I want to hear :D

The law of averages kicks in there, plus the fact that my emails are extremely well targeted :)

So if you send 10 emails you might get one response, or if you send 200 you might get 20 responses. Me, I'm the guy that sends 100 emails, all targeted effectively so I get maybe 50-60 responses. :) That's why I get responses...just not the responses I want to hear :D

Just as well you're not licking stamps! I hope that it improves and you get the job you want

You're in a tough place, r3. Really hope things pick up for you.

It was an absolutely gloroius day here yesterday. Blue skies, sunshine, no wind... Unbelievable for February! I walked with my friend and her dog up near the Ochill hills. It was only about 3 C, but we were well wrapped up and didn't feel the cold at all.

(Sunscreen, shades, thermals and goretex... that's walking in Scotland for you!)

Sadly, that has left me with all the no-fun stuff to do today, including a big homework exercise to mark for my senior students. :(

It was an absolutely gloroius day here yesterday. Blue skies, sunshine, no wind... Unbelievable for February! I walked with my friend and her dog up near the Ochill hills. It was only about 3 C, but we were well wrapped up and didn't feel the cold at all.

(Sunscreen, shades, thermals and goretex... that's walking in Scotland for you!)

Sadly, that has left me with all the no-fun stuff to do today, including a big homework exercise to mark for my senior students. :(

Do you also have a dog MM - I thought I had read in one of the posts that you had. Am I getting you mixed up with someone else? Good luck with your marking - do you get a laugh out of any of the papers you mark?

Do you also have a dog MM - I thought I had read in one of the posts that you had. Am I getting you mixed up with someone else? Good luck with your marking - do you get a laugh out of any of the papers you mark?

Not me with the dog, momac - maybe Hazel?

I do get laughs aplenty when I am marking writing, but close reading, which is today's task, is more likely to make me weep!

I do have a dug. I took her to the old Glasgow Zoo grounds for an off-lead walk today. Glasgow Zoo closed down years ago but the land didn't get sold for years and nature reclaimed it. It's not far from my house and yet we only discovered the actual grounds yesterday and explored them. So we took friends who also have a dog there today and walked for 3 hours around the grounds. It was spooky and fantastic all rolled into one.

I do have a dug. I took her to the old Glasgow Zoo grounds for an off-lead walk today. Glasgow Zoo closed down years ago but the land didn't get sold for years and nature reclaimed it. It's not far from my house and yet we only discovered the actual grounds yesterday and explored them. So we took friends who also have a dog there today and walked for 3 hours around the grounds. It was spooky and fantastic all rolled into one.

Hazel, that's a great idea for a walk! I remember Glasgow Zoo as Calderpark Zoo - a favourite place for primary school trips. And there was a man called Richard something who worked there and used to appear on Glen Michael's Cavalcade on Sunday afternoons. I took my young cousins for a day trip not long before it closed, maybe 1990, and I was shocked at how sad and run down it was.

Luna, Minx - you should take the time to go over to the grounds and walk about. Miller Homes have bought the land and in the next wee while will be bulldozing the whole lot and building houses over it. It's the next phase of the housing estate that I am in. I can walk into the grounds within 5 minutes but it was tucked behind a hill and thick forest so we couldn't see it and yesterday, thanks to Brodie running ahead of us, we found it. It's absolutely fascinating. Definitely take the time to go soon. I'll be making the most of it over the next few months.

We had our RL book club meeting this morning, discussed "My Name is Red". I read it ages ago, the discussion was great. Even found some lost part of the discussion in the cache.

Luna, Minx - you should take the time to go over to the grounds and walk about. Miller Homes have bought the land and in the next wee while will be bulldozing the whole lot and building houses over it. It's the next phase of the housing estate that I am in. I can walk into the grounds within 5 minutes but it was tucked behind a hill and thick forest so we couldn't see it and yesterday, thanks to Brodie running ahead of us, we found it. It's absolutely fascinating. Definitely take the time to go soon. I'll be making the most of it over the next few months.
Good idea. I had no idea that there was public access so will definitely have a look around.

A tough day today. I went into work this morning to find out that one of my departmental colleagues passed away last night. Her health wasn't good, but what happened isn't too clear - some sort of infection. It has come as a big shock: she was only 48.

I really appreciated being in the school community, though. It was tough telling the kids, but my colleagues and I also got a lot of support.

A tough day today. I went into work this morning to find out that one of my departmental colleagues passed away last night. Her health wasn't good, but what happened isn't too clear - some sort of infection. It has come as a big shock: she was only 48.

I really appreciated being in the school community, though. It was tough telling the kids, but my colleagues and I also got a lot of support.

What a dreadful shock Mm. My thoughts are with you.

That's dreadful, MM. An awful shock, I'm sure, and difficult to absorb properly when it's someone who should have had many years left. I hope the kids weren't too upset.