what is everyone doing?

Sideshow Meg

We had (okay, I had) an alarm malfunction this morning and snoozed in until 5:25, so my son and I had to rush around to get him to school by 5:45 a.m. (yuck yuck yuck). Luckily, he had packed completely the night before and so we just loaded up the car and left. We weren't even the latest to arrive, thank goodness. It was an odd drive. There was NO ONE on the road, but there were two oppossums that had been hit by cars and tons of bunny rabbits hopping around in front lawns and darting across the street. I knew we had a good bunny population (hence the thriving coyote population), but I didn't know it was that good. And I live in the City of Dallas, not out in the country.

I came back home, fed the dog and let him out, and then went back to bed. When I woke up again a few hours later, the dog tried to make me think he hadn't been fed at 6 a.m. and begged and begged for a second breakfast, like a hobbit. I didn't fall for it, but I did go back to bed to read for a good long while, just as everyone on BGO recommended. The house is a shambles, but I'm in a good mood, so that makes it okay.

My husband flew in and out of New Orleans and there's rain all over Louisiana, so his drive to the airport was hectic and the flight has been delayed. My sister-in-law's health remains precarious, so I am very glad he got to see her.

Meanwhile, we have had gorgeous weather here, to be followed mid week by the lowest temperatures so far this winter and precipitation, a bad combination anywhere, but particularly here in the land of the winter-challenged. My son (who is almost 600 miles away) will also be getting the low temperatures, but no precipitation, thank goodness. They are just sleeping out on the ground (in sleeping bags, but STILL) and rain or snow would make it really grisly.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megustaleer

• Hazel

• lunababymoonchild

• momac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had one of my laziest days ever yesterday. Stayed in my pjs and dressing gown until 2.00 p.m. :o Can't remember the last time I did that. It felt quite decadent. Finally had a shower between football matches on the TV and also managed quite a bit of reading - lovely!

The U.S. has been hit by a huge winter storm and Dallas has gotten popped with the tail end of it. It's very cold, much colder than it ever is here, and last night we got a lot of sleet and ice, which has frozen to the ground in a thick solid sheet. I have not set foot outside today and my husband only went out to get the paper and encourage the dog, who refused to go outside when I first opened the door to him this morning.

We have been working from home, with moderate success. I don't work from home very much and when I do, I am always reminded of the limitations of our remote access, traceable, I am sure, to the not-very-great competence of our IT person. The temperatures are not supposed to get above freezing until Friday, so I'm not sure what sure what we are going to do over the next two days. Thankfully, there haven't been any power outages, so we are relatively warm. There is almost no one brave enough (if you want to call it that) to drive in this, so the city seems almost deserted. It's strange, but I've gotten some reading done, cooked a yummy dinner, and straightened up the house a bit.

Meanwhile, my son is braving very similar temperatures but without the precipitation, 600 miles away in Big Bend National Park. We haven't heard any reports, which I am going to take as good news. I sent him with a few emergency supplies, designed to take care of warmth, water, and, if necessary, way-finding. He was very exasperated with me and insisted he wouldn't need any of it. We'll see if some of the warmth-related items get used after all...

After a 2 day heatwave (it was over 40C yesterday) I'm in front of an open window enjoying a cool breeze on a sunny day. Lovely.

... I'm also listening to the news, and waiting to hear about a cyclone that is basically going to blow Queensland over. Poor old Queensland. What a summer.

Worrying about my Sister-in-law, and her son, his fiancé and their toddler. They all flew out to the US yesterday - for the first time - to visit my Eldest Nephew and his family who they haven't seen for a while.

They live in Michigan - don't know where the 'plane was supposed to land, but it didn't.

The last thing heard from them, at about 6am this morning, UK time, was that they were in Houston - yes, in Texas!

Am anxiously waiting to see updates on Eldest Nephew's facebook page.

It's his birthday today.

Meg, I feel so sorry for your family. They probably re-routed to Houston because it was the "nearest" airport that wasn't encrusted in ice. I heard American Airlines canceled over 900 flights yesterday all around the country. I wish them luck!

I have cabin fever and briefly thought about trying to go into work, even though there has been no improvement at all in the roads. A co-worker called to tell me not to bother--the office has no heat and loses power every 15 minutes. Since it's not supposed to get above freezing until Saturday, I may end up with a BAD case of cabin fever by the time this is all done.

My SiL and family's situation is not improved.

Eldest Nephew went to bed thinking that they would be flown up to Michigan this morning, and was expecting to pick them up from Wayne County Airport just after 11am (US time).

Only that didn't happen.

The latest news is that they are hoping to be on a flight due to land at 5pm.

My SiL and family's situation is not improved.

Eldest Nephew went to bed thinking that they would be flown up to Michigan this morning, and was expecting to pick them up from Wayne County Airport just after 11am (US time).

Only that didn't happen.

The latest news is that they are hoping to be on a flight due to land at 5pm.

My daughter who lives in Michigan tells me the snow / ice storm is not nearly as bad as expected. I do hope they got their flight, meg.

Meg, I feel so sorry for your family. They probably re-routed to Houston because it was the "nearest" airport that wasn't encrusted in ice. I heard American Airlines canceled over 900 flights yesterday all around the country. I wish them luck!

I have cabin fever and briefly thought about trying to go into work, even though there has been no improvement at all in the roads. A co-worker called to tell me not to bother--the office has no heat and loses power every 15 minutes. Since it's not supposed to get above freezing until Saturday, I may end up with a BAD case of cabin fever by the time this is all done.

Try not to go nuts, Binker! And no news is good news as far as your son is concerned. Let's hope he did need all the extras you gave him and mothers all over the world will feel vindicated :)

My daughter who lives in Michigan tells me the snow / ice storm is not nearly as bad as expected. I do hope they got their flight, meg.

I think that is what has bothered Eldest Nephew. I think the worst of the weather has come across just south of Michigan, so he hadn't realised how severe it was across the rest of the country - he's been assuring the family that the weather wasn't as bad as they'd heard.

He should be picking them up now, if this flight hasn't been cancelled!

I don't expect him to be posting on facebook for a while, and I'll probably be in bed before news of their (hoped for) safe arrival is out.

Edit, 9am Thursday:

Nothing on Facebook yet, but my brother 'phoned a little while ago to say that they called him at 1am (UK time) to say they were all safely there.

Now we just hope that a thaw arrives in time for their return journey.

Blue sky and above-freezing temperature tempted me out into the garden for an hour this afternoon - for the first time since mid-November.

It was difficult to decide whether to start with November, December, or January's jobs (February's stood no chance!). January won so I pruned a honeysuckle and some clematis. I also dug up some leeks and parsnips, so we will have nice fresh veg for dinner.

I feel so much brighter for an hour in the fresh air. :)

I feel so much brighter for an hour in the fresh air. :)
Lucky you, the weather here is shocking! So much so that we went for a walk - I was briskly walking - up and down a shopping centre, just to get out of the house. It's now ramped up to what sounds like gale force winds and driving rain. But it's above freezing!

My brother sent pics of a very snowy and empty Chicago. He got a day off work so he was happy. I thought that places like Chicago were all set up for the snow, unlike us etc etc. But freezing temperatures in Dallas?? That doesn't fit with my world view!

Glad you got out in the garden Meg. I did an hour of weeding and general tidying up on Sunday and felt very pleased with myself. I also dug up some (frozen) leeks this week - makes it all worthwhile.

Oh yes.

The outer leaves go a bit slimy, but the inner bulk of them remains firm and perfectly edible.

I'll need to get the rest of them up soon, or the arrival spring will cause them to start sending up flower stalks.

Thanks :), I'm going to try and grow my own this year, last year's were already in the ground when I bought the house.

If I get up in time I'm going to a "potato day" in Stroud tomorrow morning to buy some seed potatoes, so I'll probably be back for home growing advice for them at some point. I'm still getting through the last bag of the ones I dug up in November, but they're nearly all gone now.

After 3 days of ice covering every inch of the city, we got SNOW last night, 6-8 inches of it. My husband almost fell down going to get the paper and we didn't venture out until we went to pick up my son from his trip, at which point we sort of slid along the roads.

The sun came out and while it is still cold, it is less cold, and there's a tiny bit of melting, but not much. Sadly, my son came home a day early. It was so cold and beginning to snow where they were that they had to pack it in early--first time ever. Their bus couldn't even make it up into the mountains, so the Border Patrol officers (who obviously aren't busy because no one was crossing illegally into the US in those conditions) ferried them down to their bus. They ended up having to stop at a chain motel last night because the going got so bad. It was an adventure, but they didn't get to hike to The Window or canoe in Santa Elena canyon, both highlights of a trip to Big Bend.

Now, whether or not mothers everywhere can feel vindicated (in brightphoebus's words), the answer is a qualified "yes." He didn't use my emergency supplies, but it was a close enough thing that he said he was very happy he had them and felt more secure knowing that he could help if anyone became desperate.

Tomorrow, we are supposed to get above freezing and with any luck, most of this will have melted by the time we host the Super Bowl. Fortunately, both Pittsburgh and Green Bay are from very cold climates--their visitors aren't objecting to this unusually-cold-for-us weather.

• 1 year later...

Well I'm back! A lot has happened since I was last here. I've become a bit of an apple convert, nearly completed an MSc, kids growing up.

Worst thing was my dad passing away unexpectedly in September of this year, aged 67. Completely out the blue. Early Saturday morning and my mum was at the door with the police. My dad had died that morning from an aortic aneurism- none of us were with him and none of us got to say goodbye.

Wow, Jeremy, so sorry to hear about your dad. Such a shock. 67 is no age. My brother went almost the same way at the same age in his sleep. I can imagine how this affected you.

Lovely to see you back here though. Life has moved on for us all. I have now got two grandaughters - never thought I would have one!! Shame they live on the south coast, but I'm loving the time we do have together.

Hope once things have settled down with the new site we can get some great discussions going again.