• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megustaleer

• Hazel

• lunababymoonchild

• momac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hazel, I was once absolutely forbidden to speak above a whisper for what seemed like an interminable time period
Oh Binker! Thank you for replying, now I can annoy you with my screaming-inner-child questions! Did it hurt? How uncomfortable was it? Did they chip our teeth?! Was it worth it?

The clapping thing was a different problem, as I didn't have my tonsils out as an adult. However, I am of the age when every child in America had their tonsils out by age 6 and I have had friends (younger, obviously) who had them out as adults.

Good news first: all of my friends who had them out as adults were very happy that they had done so. I assume you've had repeated infections of some sort because that's why my friends did it and they all report that the frequency of infection went way down. Also, my teeth were not chipped and I have never heard of anyone having their teeth chipped. Bad news: It did hurt. You should plan to baby yourself and get the painkillers in early and often. It helps to suck on ice or eat ice cream. But it helps even more to be drugged to the point where the pain is kept at bay. However, if you are good to yourself (meaning resting and not talking very much), the pain doesn't last for very long--a couple of days. In fact, I was 4 when I had my tonsils out and while I remember the throat pain (and the thrill of near-constant ice cream), my much stronger memory is having to walk down the hall holding my mother's hand dressed in one of those robes--which seemed so strange--and then lying on the surgical bed and being afraid (and fighting) the anaesthesia mask. Since you are probably able to cope with the pre-surgery stuff better than I was at 4, it should be good news that the pain isn't front and center in my memory.

One last piece of advice. Although this is a book reading site, I think you will probably find that watching DVDs is more your speed, so you should get a good number of them in to watch while you are lying around.

Good luck!

Bad news: It did hurt. You should plan to baby yourself and get the painkillers in early and often.
Out of all the lovely things you said, I focus on this. Yikes. The hospital have said that they don't recommend the ice-cream route anymore and that you only get to leave hospital once you have ate some dry toast. Double yikes. Painkillers sound good though.

I think ice cream is hard to digest when you've already had a lot of stress on your system. However, it is my happiest memory of that time.

How long will you be in the hospital? I think most people here (where they try to kick you out of the hospital as soon as possible) stay one night. Will you be in longer than that? If so, then I think the toast might be a good test. If they are kicking you out early, try to get it softened in some way (one good way would be to have it be bread rather than toast).

My daughter got very sick her freshman year in college and for awhile, we thought it was strep throat (it ended up being mono), which she used to have with some frequency as a child, but usually stops in adulthood. And one of my friends who had his tonsils out as an adult told me that if she continued to have re-occuring strep, we should have her tonsils out because it made a huge difference to him, even though it was, truthfully, painful. I thought it was better to be truthful than to have you lying in your bed, thinking, "Binker is SUCH a liar-face." But I hope I haven't alarmed you. Just tell them that you want the pain pills started before the anaesthesia wears off and then administered on a regular, highly-frequent basis.

How long will you be in the hospital?

One night. The op is Friday then I'll be out on Saturday all being well.

I thought it was better to be truthful than to have you lying in your bed, thinking, "Binker is SUCH a liar-face." But I hope I haven't alarmed you.
:D :D I wouldn't have thought that...just started working on a voodoo doll! Only joking.

Just tell them that you want the pain pills started before the anaesthesia wears off and then administered on a regular, highly-frequent basis.
Oh I'll have that tattooed on my throat, and I'll make sure hubby knows what to ask for on my behalf!

I had my tonsils out as an adult, but long enough ago for my experience to probably be out of date - but I'll pass them on anyway. ;)

I had also hoped for ice-cream, as this is what all my childhood friends had been given a quarter of a century earlier. I was told that the toast (or something similarly scratchy) was to make sure that the throat was clear of any debris. My first post-op meal was overcooked grilled sausages. That worked!

The tonsillectomy wasn't a pleasant experience, then again no surgery I've ever had has been that, but those dreadful ulcerated throats which I was having at 6week intervals weren't much fun either. Set against that frequency a one-off operation was worth it.

The woman in the next bed was in to have her sinuses washed out. Compared with the resulting pair of black eyes she had I felt that I got off lightly, with no nasty unexpected side effects at all.

Good luck, Hazel! I was freaked out by the possible side effects of my op last year (including having "a voice like a man" forever!), but I experienced no ill effects and it was all tons easier than I had expected, including the post-op pain. Not the same op, but in the same area!

A bit like meg, the lady next to me (who turned out to be a childhood neighbour - small world) was having a nose job. She also had two black eyes and couldn't blow her nose until it had healed, which sounded way worse than my experience.

I'm a bit unusual in that I've never had my tonsils out - luckily they don't give me much trouble. There is, however, nothing worse than a really sore throat, so if you're having one of those quite regularly it's probably best to get rid of the tonsils.

Following Minxminnie's post, though, I have had a rhinoplasty, among other things (I'm a bit like Frankenstein's monster, me! :)) and I also had two black eyes, along with lots of swelling and bruises, but it looked a lot worse than it felt, to be honest.

Hospitals are obliged to tell you all the possible outcomes when you're having surgery, but I've never found pain and things like that to be too unbearable. The worst pain I ever had was after an eye operation, so hopefully I'll never need one of those again!

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences, they have helped reassure me. The doc said that the op isn't as bad as one of my worst tonsillitis episodes and I have managed through that ok. But I am a big baby when it comes to things like this. Pathetic.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences, they have helped reassure me. The doc said that the op isn't as bad as one of my worst tonsillitis episodes and I have managed through that ok. But I am a big baby when it comes to things like this. Pathetic.
But you're still going ahead with it, so not pathetic at all. Surgery is frightening and always better after the fact when you can concentrate on getting better because then you know what you're dealing with.

The doc said that the op isn't as bad as one of my worst tonsillitis episodes

That was very much my experience of the op, when I had it as a child. A bad episode was very bad. And after the operation... Never again.

But I am a big baby when it comes to things like this. Pathetic.

You are, a bit! Get over yourself ;)

Seriously, good luck with it all. It's a bit scary, but you'll be so glad you went through with it.

Hope all goes well for you Hazel. I'm sure in a few weeks time you will be wondering why you got yourself in such a tiz! I hope that's true anyway.

It's so frosty here this morning I could not even get my car OPEN, so I had to walk to my (short) destination instead. But how beautiful it is outside today and as long as I walked in the sunshine not too bad at all.

You are, a bit! Get over yourself ;)

:D I know I am pathetic, can't help it. :D

Thanks for all your wishes guys and I coming to terms with it now and just want it over with. I have to be at the hospital at 7:30am tomorrow so I am hoping that before I even wake up properly it'll all be over.

Best of luck Hazel. You are not particularly pathetic. I once announced I had changed my mind and began hopping off an operating table (minor surgery, I should not have been such a baby). That must be more common than it sounds because the doctor, anaesthesiologist, and nurse all knew immediately what to do, each of them grabbing an extremity and very nicely telling me just to lie back down. The nurse finally held my hand until I went under. Surely you will behave better than that.

Thank you everyone for your wishes. Yesterday was a stressful experience culminating in me moments from surgery being told by my surgeon that he wasn't going ahead with the op and that we were going to discuss a 'pain management plan' for my tonsillitis and reassess the situation in 6 months time.

He told me that 3 weeks of a lot of pain were not worth knocking off one episode of tonsillitis a year from my medical record and that he didn't want to put me through it. How scared must I have looked?!

So I am a bit deflated and not in any pain today!

Thank you everyone for your wishes. Yesterday was a stressful experience culminating in me moments from surgery being told by my surgeon that he wasn't going ahead with the op and that we were going to discuss a 'pain management plan' for my tonsillitis and reassess the situation in 6 months time.

He told me that 3 weeks of a lot of pain were not worth knocking off one episode of tonsillitis a year from my medical record and that he didn't want to put me through it. How scared must I have looked?!

So I am a bit deflated and not in any pain today!

Hazel, what a stressful experience that must have been, to be made ready for the surgery and then not having it after all.

Hazel, that is awful. I can't believe the surgeon can make that decision after you have been recommended for surgery - surely if it wasn't necessary, someone else should have spotted that en route. What a mess.

As a consolation, though, you should give yourself all the treats you were going to anyway!

Totally agree. How can anyone do that to another human being. Pure indulgence from now on Hazel! ;)