Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Ha! For only the second time in history I have beaten my father at Wii tennis. Three - nil!

In other exciting news, I managed to read the Sunday papers and do not much else.

Got taken out for a drive in the sunshine today. First trip out all week since coming down with some nasty virus. Sunshine is definitely the best medicine! :)

Every time I get the time to catch up on BGO I make a pact with myself to take the time more often to get on here and "see" my BGO friends. I vow to do so more in 2011.

Had a lovely roast at my parents today where we opened our Christmas presents. We were at the In-Laws for Christmas and this is the first chance we've had to meet up since we got back. MOH is now asleep on the sofa with the cat and I'm contemplating turning the TV off to read (once I've finished catching up on here).

As an (ex) Archers listener I have been reading the various BBC blogs about the improbable 60th anniversary 'celebration' last week. In particular the one started today, in which Vanessa Whitburn measures the success of her editorial decisions by column inches and the volume (not content) of 'tweets' on the night, ignoring all the complaints that have been made since.

My blood pressure feels quite high today. :mad:

As an (ex) Archers listener ...:mad:
Wow, that's a harsh response! I like a person who takes a stand!

I went back to work today after being off with this hideous cough I've had for a fortnight. The cough hasn't really gone but my energy levels are back to normal which is great.

Up The Baggies!!

Meg, I didn't know you had an afinity with any side, let alone the one we dumped out of the Cup for the second year running. :D

Have to say, the Baggies were very poor, although I thought they were unlucky not to get a penalty early on in the game.

We are away to Stevenage in the next round. Hope their fans stay off the pitch after we've beaten them. If they are happy to lamp their own players after a remarkable win, what will happen when they've lost?

Meg, I didn't know you had an afinity with any side
My birthplace - well, a bit further along Halford's Lane, but within the sound of cheering. My support is genetic and historic

Have to say, the Baggies were very poor
Not a novelty these days

First day of the second and final semester of my Masters degree yesterday. Having spent the festive season writing three 3,000 word essays, it didn't feel like much of a break. Did the proper student thing to celebrate the start of term and have been mildly hungover today.

....just watching the news of my old neighbourhood - including the house I brought my babies home to, as newborns - being submerged as the Brisbane River rises.

Slightly awestruck by the power of nature - and concerned for my old friends still there.

- and concerned for my old friends still there.
My old school friend who was in the UK last summer lives in Brisbane, and I keep looking online to see if her district is under threat (OK at the moment). I can't begin to imagine the magnitude of the flooding.

- and concerned for my old friends still there.[/quoteMy old school friend who was in the UK last summer lives in Brisbane, and I keep looking online to see if her district is under threat (OK at the moment). I can't begin to imagine the magnitude of the flooding.
It's massive, the one good thing that can be said about the situation in Brisbane is that - unlike in Toowoomba, a couple of days ago - the people there whose property is in danger should have plenty of warning and time to get themselves and their pets to higher ground.

Listening to a report on Radio5Live last night from an Australian official flying over the area, it sounded as if Toowoomba had been hit by something like a tsunami. The scale of the devastation almost too much to imagine. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering there at the moment. As it does for all the lost ones that are as yet unaccounted for.

It's a very very wet day here today. I'm going out to a concert later on, and tomorrow I need to do a pile of marking, so today, after a bit of housework, I will feel entirely legitimate in lying on the sofa with my book for an indecent amount of time.

ETA: seeing the post above mine, I realise my flippancy about our rain is a bit insensitive, especially given our Antipodean contingent. Hope everyone down under is safe. I'll be lucky if our rain gives my patio a bit of a clean.

I am just finishing up a lesson plan for my first tutorial classes tomorrow. First time teaching - eek!
Good luck FLS, I am sure you will be just great.

. Hope everyone down under is safe. I'll be lucky if our rain gives my patio a bit of a clean.

Very safe... we're interstate and live on top of a ridge... getting home from anywhere means walking uphill, something I have a new appreciation for.

Seeing my own old house underwater on TV was confronting enough that I'm still thinking about it days later. Living there, we were above the level of the 1974 floods and thought we were safe. But the waters rose differently this time and in Fig Tree Pocket, apparently came 1.3m higher than in 1974. I really feel for an old friend of mine who has been trying to sell her house. There was television footage of people rowing down the street.

Aw, thanks Hazel :). First two went quite well, so fingers crossed!
Yea!!

Just preparing myself...just got a call from the hospital and my tonsillectomy is now booked for this Friday. Expect a quiet Glasgow for the next couple of weeks.

Apparently there is a risk they can chip your teeth (my worst nightmare), cut the sides of your mouth and you could regurgitate food through your nose for a while. I am not happy.

Oh dear, doesn't sound particularly nice, but then they're obliged to let you know all the things that can happen. I'd imagine those things are rare enough. Try not to think about them and just concentrate on getting it over with and your recovery. Best of luck :)

Hazel, I was once absolutely forbidden to speak above a whisper for what seemed like an interminable time period, but, at my doctor's kind suggestion, solved the shouting problem by substituting clapping my hands. The louder and more rapid the clapping, the closer it is to shouting. Your husband and children will love me for this suggestion. Certainly, my family appreciated the doctor's intervention.

I'm sure the surgery will be fine. I think Firelight Spirit is right and those kinds of problems are very unusual.

Apparently there is a risk they can chip your teeth (my worst nightmare), cut the sides of your mouth and you could regurgitate food through your nose for a while. I am not happy.
Oh no. I don't recall being told that when they removed mine, but then I was 12 so I suppose my parents were informed and - sensibly - decided to keep that information away from me. As a friend of mine once said, it can't be informed consent if they don't tell you what can happen. As FLS says, it's probably very rare.

I hope that it all goes well and you recover soon.