Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

Fourteen of us made it to our concert. We were a bit iffy in places, but the audience were appreciative and have booked us for their pre-Christmas lunch next year!

My voice nearly lasted to the end, but singing a load of 'background' carols as folks assembled took a lot out of it, so I was a bit croaky by the time we reached the last few songs of the actual concert bit.

Good fun 'though, and we have made it home before the roads ice up again.

Made a pear, chocolate and ginger cake for my visitors this afternoon. I've just finished packing up the leftovers to take into work tomorrow. :yumyum:

While they were here, it snowed. We now have a fair covering. We were just talking about how the snow takes some of the pressure off Christmas - you do what you can, see who is near, cook what you've got in, and don't get too stressed about being perfect.

We were just talking about how the snow takes some of the pressure off Christmas - you do what you can, see who is near, cook what you've got in, and don't get too stressed about being perfect.

Suggested to Elder Son that they get some food in, just in case the weather gets worse and they can't make it here on Saturday. It's not far from them to us, but I wouldn't want them to take risks with the car full of all my grandchildren.

Suggested to Elder Son that they get some food in, just in case the weather gets worse and they can't make it here on Saturday. It's not far from them to us, but I wouldn't want them to take risks with the car full of all my grandchildren.
We are supposed to be going to elder son's for Christmas Day but have bought food for our own Christmas dinner just in case. It is only a 50 minute drive but with this weather it would be extremely foolhardy to say the least.

Hi everyone,

sorry I've been missing in action lately, life has just got in the way. Hope everyone is all set for Xmas. Must make one of my new year's resolutions to come back to BGO!

Hi everyone,

sorry I've been missing in action lately, life has just got in the way. Hope everyone is all set for Xmas. Must make one of my new year's resolutions to come back to BGO!

We have missed you, LL. Please don't go away again!

Up early to see the total eclipse of the moon due at 7.40 this morning - first one for 400 years so they are saying. Trouble is we have lots of cloud and I'm not sure I will be able to get the total effect.

Too cloudy here, too :(

Have just discovered that the outlet pipe from our bathroom is frozen and the shower, bath and washbasin are unusable.

The pipe runs along under the roof of the single-story kitchen extension (which is the coldest room in the house anyway) so is almost inaccessible, as the roof space is very low and the hatch to it only suitable for very skinny people. I've never looked up there, but imagine it is probably minimally insulated. Not that it has caused us any problems in the last 27 years,

Looks like a return to childhood routine - washing at the sink in an icy cold kitchen. We do have a downstairs cloakroom (next to the kitchen and just as cold), but the washbasin in there is only the size of a teacup.

At least I'm not stuck in an airport somewhere.

Have just discovered that the outlet pipe from our bathroom is frozen and the shower, bath and washbasin are unusable.

Oh that's no fun, meg! Two Christmasses ago my combi-boiler went on the blink - I had the heating okay but it was a toss of the coin whether I'd get any hot water. That was over the holidays with no one to fix it so I know the pain of festive disturbed ablutions!

Interestingly, this is the first morning for some time when I've woken up to no frost and an unfrozen birdbath! Perfectly clear blue sky, but I wasn't up for the eclipse!

Up early to see the total eclipse of the moon due at 7.40 this morning - first one for 400 years so they are saying. Trouble is we have lots of cloud and I'm not sure I will be able to get the total effect.

Got the camera and tripod all ready last night to take outside this morning, set the alarm for 6am but woke up at 4.30 and couldn't get back to sleep. Turned out it was completely overcast so there was no evidence that we even have a moon :(

Office christmas meal this lunchtime, I'll probably fall asleep in the soup I'm so tired!

I think it's the first time in 400 years that it's coincided with the winter equinoxe... or something like that!

For those disappointed at missing the eclipse, wrap up warm, open all the windows near the computer and drop some ice cubes down your back. Then watch this time-lapse video and it'll be just like you were watching it for real...

Lunar Eclipse

Thanks for the link David. Great to see what I missed, but how I would like to have seen it with my own eyes.

Didn't realise there was something this morning luna!

Today's my last working day before Christmas and I have that "end of term" feeling. The boss and annoying members of the team are all off, so the rest of us have decided that we deserve a Christmas lunch and all agree that the boss will be more than happy to fund it on expenses. Roll on lunchtime!

We had our Christmas meal yesterday, all six of us went to a restaurant on the docks at lunchtime and stayed until gone 4.30, then some of us adjourned to a nearby bar. All on the company :D

I'm in work tomorrow but it will be a nice day, if a little sad. I'll be saying good bye to 3 boys, 3 of our Xmas leavers, who I have known for 2 years. 3 boys that I am very fond of. Then at 3pm, I'll be going to lunch with 4 of my closest colleagues and I expect to have a lovely time. Can't wait.

I've spent the day rebuilding my laptop. For some reason iTunes stopped working last week due to an error with DirectX. No matter how many times I tried to reinstall it; the missing files that iTunes wanted would not install.

I have been given a copy of Windows 7 in a cut down build called Windows & Perfection. It is lovely and small so freeing up lots of space on my hard drive. But it looks awful. I'll have to try an ordinary Win 7 and hope that solves the problem.

Of course, I should have ignored the iTunes error and used Media Moneky or WinAmp. Too late now.

Oh, in between sorting the laptop I managed to score some brownie points by clearing the ironing. Only tool three hours.

De-camped to Lady L's parents new house in Stamford for their first Christmas. Snow is ankle deep here and falling heavily when we arrived. They live on a private road, so no gritters here. The last few yards were quite hair raising!

Our return to the Big Smoke might to some extent depend on when the thaw sets in.

I'm in the office today. M23 / M25 were wonderful this morning, my journey took a mere 30 minutes, and the car park here is 2/3 empty.

As usual, though, some dead urgent agreements to review that must be concluded before the end of December.

There is a real possibility of snow in Sussex, so I am keeping an eye on the weather, especially as I have a shopping list to attend to in Tesco before I get home.

Been out to do my Tesco shopping, and then went for a walk round the People's Palace. Not as cold as yesterday but not far off it and just as beautiful. What an amazing experience this is turning out to be.