Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

I have just come back from running my first 10k! I am so chuffed (and exhausted). I have been working up to 10k since the spring, so am very pleased to have finally made it. :)

Congratulations Nellie! And thank you to all of you who had kind words for my post about American football. I know everyone will be thrilled to hear that LSU won their game, although not by as much as they should have, so the celebration has been somewhat muted.

Now my son is going to play in his first-ever football game. He plays for his school and the game is Thursday night. He is 13 and while he is very large and athletic, I'm not very happy about it. Kids get hurt playing football all the time and some of the injuries are serious. Fortunately, while my husband has been willing to let him try and is encouraging, we are both in complete agreement about what to do under certain circumstances.

The biggest problem in American football has to do with concussions. Traditionally, the boys have gone right back in or have played the next game, but it's becoming clearer and clearer that that puts them at permanent risk for loss of brainpower and, if they play football in college or the pros, early death. I realize that sounds overly dramatic, but several years ago, they started noticing that the men who had played pro football died much younger than their peers and finally someone asked them to start donating their brains to a study of the damage done. It turns out that the damage is tremendous. Last year, a man died very young (I think he was in his 40s) and he had only played football in college, not the pros. He donated his brain to the study and it turns out that his was as damaged as the brains of the men who had played pro football. The American newspapers and magazines (and even Time magazine) have been full of the implications. The schools are just starting to address the issue, but my husband and I are in complete agreement that he can sit out the season if he gets a concussion. You all must have this problem with rugby, so this may all sound familiar to you.

It's not like I'm a wuss about these things--my son has been taking karate since he was 7 1/2 and has been sparring as part of karate for several years. But that's a much more structured situation than football and the injuries don't tend to be as severe. And they aren't usually concussions.

I'm going to review a book and then fret for awhile.

Ach it's ony natural to fret about yer boy, especially with something like that.

Managed to do a bit of gardening today - the yellow bush (don't know what it's called) that looked as if it was dead for all this time that I was going to remove when the ground got soft enough, has come back to life! - and took the garden waste plus some old car oil to the cooncil pit, then went for a walk along a very sunshiny Clydeside. Plenty of people doing the same and I got to pet some dogs! Chased the squirrel off the sunflowers and pruned the magnolia tree - well I cut off the bit where I had to duck.

Am enjoying the current warm and pleasant weather, and very much enjoying the coming of autumn (the trees are changing and the nights are drawing in. I can also feel a very slight nip in the air, like ginger in a very well cooked biscuit).

I have plumbed my new (to me) cooker so once again am cooking on gas :D. Fifteen years and more I've put up with an electric hob so one of my first priorities on moving in to a house with mains gas was a cooker with gas rings.

Based on making some white sauce earlier I'm very pleased with my purchase, even if I had to drive to Taunton on Monday evening into the face of a monsoon on the M5 to collect it after winning it on ebay.

I am looking for some new exercise weights and checked a company on line.

The review for one of the products gave the it one star and the reason given was

They were too heavy and couldn't carry them home so threw them away.

I've not stopped laughing yet .... :D

The biggest problem in American football has to do with concussions. Traditionally, the boys have gone right back in or have played the next game, but it's becoming clearer and clearer that that puts them at permanent risk for loss of brainpower and, if they play football in college or the pros, early death. I realize that sounds overly dramatic, but several years ago, they started noticing that the men who had played pro football died much younger than their peers and finally someone asked them to start donating their brains to a study of the damage done. It turns out that the damage is tremendous. Last year, a man died very young (I think he was in his 40s) and he had only played football in college, not the pros. He donated his brain to the study and it turns out that his was as damaged as the brains of the men who had played pro football. The American newspapers and magazines (and even Time magazine) have been full of the implications. The schools are just starting to address the issue, but my husband and I are in complete agreement that he can sit out the season if he gets a concussion. You all must have this problem with rugby, so this may all sound familiar to you.

It's not like I'm a wuss about these things--my son has been taking karate since he was 7 1/2 and has been sparring as part of karate for several years. But that's a much more structured situation than football and the injuries don't tend to be as severe. And they aren't usually concussions.

I'm going to review a book and then fret for awhile.

Binker, I really feel for you. I wish you and your son a trouble-free football season - let us know how he gets on.

Sorry for my unauthorised absence from BGO for a little while. I feel rather stressed out with work at the moment - we have moved into a new (huge) ward and it's all rather horrid. :(

I'm sorry you are feeling stressed Lady L. I hope that things get better soon. It's very bad to have any part of your life be "horrid."

We had a lot of excitement yesterday in Dallas. We have been getting a lot of rain from the tropical storm that hit south Texas earlier this week, more than I ever remember receiving before. We are so far inland that we have to be directly in the path of a storm to get this much rain. As it danced through our area, going north, it left us one last present: several tornados! They arrived around 5:45 p.m. One of them hit very close to my office and stayed on the ground for a long time. Several others in my office stayed looking out of the window to watch it live, but I thought it was a bad idea to stand near that much plate glass to watch something that essentially acts like a spinning top. So I watched it on TV from our break room in the much-safer middle of the building.

Eventually, the tornado stopped, but you could see that the rotation was still in the clouds and the tornado could re-form at any time. Worryingly, the storm cell that spawned the tornado then went right over my house, my mother's house, her church, the childrens' schools, etc. My son was at home with his nanny when the sirens went off and they had to cower in the bathroom in the middle of the house (the safest place in a tornado). My husband was at a seminar at the local University and they were all hustled into the basement. My mother was calmly watching it on TV. I didn't like that we were all separated, but we were fine and our house (and my mother's house, etc.) were undamaged.

I can't say the same about certain areas of Dallas, most of which were industrial buildings. Fortunately, no one was hurt. I think most of the workers in those buildings were already gone for the day, thank goodness!

So now I am going to go review Ruth Rendell's latest book, which I read on my vacation.

Several others in my office stayed looking out of the window to watch it live, but I thought it was a bad idea to stand near that much plate glass to watch something that essentially acts like a spinning top. So I watched it on TV from our break room in the much-safer middle of the building.
Crazy weather makes for great TV but I'd hate to be caught up in it. When I was very young we lived near the sea and every winter the storms would was the car park clean away. It taught me to respect the elements.

I just dug up some potatoes from my garden and sauteed them and they were very tasty, so tomorrow I'm going to try roasting.

I have not become a gardener (cold day in hell, etc.), they were left by the previous owners, along with leeks, radishes and parsnips. I have no idea when any of them will be ready to eat, when to harvest them or anything, I just took a guess with the potatoes and dug a plant up to try. I also don't know how long any of them can be kept after being dug up, so a-googling I will go.

Last day at work yesterday. For the next year, I am a student. I am getting into the swing of things by still being in my night clothes at one in the afternoon.

I am getting into the swing of things by still being in my night clothes at one in the afternoon.

No, sorry, you shouldn't be getting up until after one pm. 6/10 - must try harder ;)

I'm back at work after a week in the Lake District. All very depressing and nothing to look forward to until Christmas. I think I have to get planning!

Managed quite a lot today, all things considered. We went to the community recycling facility (the pit) and dumped some stuff from our garage. We're the only people, as far as I can see, that actually use our garage to put the car into but nevertheless still need to clear out years of accumulated stuff and we are taking said stuff to the pit piece by piece. Then we went round the supermarket, for a walk round James Hamilton Park, a trip round Whitelee Wind Farm - just can't get the old man away from that! - and are now planning dinner. And it didn't rain that much!

Spending the week at home with the dog as she's had another operation. Timeto catch up on mount TBR and get some writing done methinks...

Thanks. The operation went ok but the bloodtest they did beforehand showed she has liver damage. We'll need to change her diet and she'll need steroid injections which will hopefully get it under control. Just hoping for best case scenario at the moment.

Returned from our three-locations jaunt of the last ten days in the southern counties. We had dry weather for almost all the time and it was lovely and warm too. Travelled back Sunday leaving Hampshire on a wonderfully sunny and warm morning and arrived back in Lancashire to motorways signs saying 'beware flooding on roads' - and it was tipping down. Seems it's been that way for most of last week (hope that wasn't the case for you in the Lakes Jen) so we feel quite smug to have missed it all.

Passed two luxury coaches on the M5 with lots of police outriders. On passing the coaches seemed to be full of Cardinals - we wondered whether it was the Pope's entourage on its way to Birmingham Airport!! Slowed the traffic down for some miles anyway.

...arrived back in Lancashire to motorways signs saying 'beware flooding on roads' - and it was tipping down. Seems it's been that way for most of last week (hope that wasn't the case for you in the Lakes Jen)
We only had a day and a half where rain stopped us getting out. Well, not strictly true, as the half day arrived when we were at the top of a fell about 3 miles from home... Wet weather gear well and truly tested!

Thanks. The operation went ok but the bloodtest they did beforehand showed she has liver damage. We'll need to change her diet and she'll need steroid injections which will hopefully get it under control. Just hoping for best case scenario at the moment.
So, what's the update on the dog, Lucyb?

Returned from our three-locations jaunt of the last ten days in the southern counties.

It's nearly a week since we returned from our three-locations jaunt of the south-western counties, but I have had very little opportunity to spend time online. Apart from the mountain of laundry, and the knee-high lawn needing immediate attention I was booked on a full day blue-badge-guided coach tour of the Olympic Sites the day after our return. Then there was the bumper crop of marrowettes and oversized runner beans to pick, and then to process and preserve.

Foolishly I let myself get overtired, and then read past the time my eyes had told me to stop as there were 'only a few pages left' of the book I was reading. You'd think I'd know by now that that is a recipe for a migraine - and as my migraines take the form of vertigo nowadays I have been more or less incapacitated for three days. I prefer the headaches. :mad:

The holiday was busy, with no time for reading the heap of books I took with me, other than finishing

Moon Tiger.

The reunion with my old school friends was great. It's amazing how the years rolled away - we could almost have seen each other the previous week. Not sure the husbands found it quite as much fun, but they bore it with great fortitude.

Mr meg and I then went sight-seeing around Dorset. I'm pretty sure he has never read a Hardy novel, nor knowingly seen the film version of one, but as most of the landmarks I dragged him to were attractive in their own right I think he got some pleasure from them - once we found them. We came to the conclusion that Dorset doesn't actually like Hardy-tourists. I did manage to listen to the 14CD audiobook of The Return Of The Native, fitting the last two into the journey home (fortunately on a familiar route, so I didn't need to micro-navigate)

We finished up with a weekend in Oxfordshire, by way of Bath and Westonbirt Arboretum, and spent it looking round various country churches.

We ate very well while we were away., but have made up for it this week, as I didn't get to the supermarket until today and we have had to manage on the glut of garden produce plus store-cupboard goods.

Hooray for pasta, canned tomatoes and cheddar cheese. :D

Sounds like you had a great time, meg :)

I have just finished writing a paper that I'm giving at a conference in Berlin next Friday. It'll be my first time to present at a conference and my first time in Berlin - eek, scary!

So, what's the update on the dog, Lucyb?

Am calming down now! She had to go back to the vet this morning because she pulled her drain out and I had a chance to talk to the vet properly. Hopefully if we manage her diet and keep an eye out for signs she's having problems we'll amble on together happily. Thanks for asking :)

Glad to have you back, Meg - pasta cheese and tomato sounds like heaven to me!

FLS - good luck with your paper.