Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

I have a slight cold which is making me tired and irritable.  Fortunately my father is feeling fine just now so is coping well.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Meg and Momac, I hope they clear up soon.  I have some experience with crabbit older men and know what it's like.

That is so clever Luna, looks great!

Just sitting pondering on how our calendar seems to be mostly medical appointments.  With our daughter anxious to get the o.k. from her doctor that she can return to work following a more recent seizure and an extra pill added to adjust the doseage of her meds and hubby's various nurse visits and Heart Clinic appointments our life isn't a lot of fun.  Two different nurses have visited and one wants Dave to drink more liquid and the other wants him to cut back on it, it seems they are not working from the same playbook.  He has trouble remembering some of their recommendations and I haven't been sitting in on the meetings as they tend to start directing their instructions at me while Dave tries to look like he's not there so I stayed out the last couple of times. I feel he wants me to be Mum and I want him to take charge of his treatment,  then I feel guilty.  What to do? Anyway this should maybe be in the rant section although right now I'm too tired to rant.

Hoping you are all having maybe better pre Spring weather over there than we are but the birds are busy which makes me think they know more than us.  That's a nice thought.  🤔

I know exactly how you feel about appointments, Momac.  I should have made an appointment for the hairdresser last week but decided to defer to this week because I just wanted to go through one week without appointments.  I also know what it's like to live with a forgetful unwell octogenarian who won't listen and then he “forgets”.  You have my sympathy.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Bad spelling

14 hours ago, momac said:

I feel he wants me to be Mum and I want him to take charge of his treatment,  then I feel guilty.

I feel for you Momac.

I hadn't realised at the time that Mr meg's mother approved of me as a putative DiL because she was looking for someone to take over maternal duties!

I had been a professional carer for several years then, and  when the boys were born I  just mothered all three of them out f habit.

There are reasons why Mr meg needs a bit more looking after than most, but I think I have made him lazy about having to look after himself - and we have had so many rows because he won't admit it.

Most recently, having found his evening tablets not taken three times in one week I told him that, for my own mental health, I was not going to be responsible for his tablets any more, that he must fill his pill pots himself, and I would not be checking whether or not he has taken them. 

I am not feeling guilty.

At least, not yet - if he has another seizure I expect I will. Part of his trouble with these tablets is that he hasn't had a seizure for about 4 years, so no longer thinks about it and doesn't think about the medication either.

:banghead::banghead:

Oh Meg, you have my sympathy, we have just had a go around with having to have Dave's blister pac of pills which the drugstore prepares for him on a weekly basis (which is a marvellous help as there is no trying to figure out which pill is taken  when) but it seems that changes are made by the doctor or the heart clinic or the nurse and the blister pac has to be corrected by the pharmacy.  This is about the fourth time until the next adjustment. 🙄  Dave took down instructions over the phone from the nurse and I figured he might not be able to read what he wrote so asked to speak to the nurse and she said maybe she should phone the pharmacy direct so I breathed a sigh of relief and agreed with her.   We seem to go from one upset to another on a daily basis. It was suggested by the last nurse who visited that Dave should have someone with him at the Heart Clinic to take notes - I think if there are important instructions from them they should write them out for him while he is there and not require a secretary to take notes (me being the secretary).  

The seizure business is alarming as Sheila had not had a seizure in 30 years until last year and she was on a regular regime of Dilantin every night. So body changes can affect how medicine works, maybe pass that along to Mr. Meg.

Thanks for responding Meg and Luna, helps to know none of us are alone with whatever troubles we may have.  Just have to try to stay positive.😊💐

I've just read a very distressing email from our younger son. I hadn't heard from him since the beginning of February, so had an inkling that Something Was Up.

i was hoping that when he did get in touch it would be the longed for news of a second baby on the way - youngest grandson now being past his 2nd birthday.

Well, it would have been, but now it is not.

At the 12 week scan it was discovered that the hoped-for-baby had severe oedema, and a second scan 24 hrs later showed a substantial increase in the amount of fluid in its little body.  Apparently the result of heart failure, the condition would have been fatal, and so they sadly opted for a medically managed termination.

This is the fourth possible grandchild that has not made it to term (two for each DiL), and two growing up with genetic disabilities. 

I am very sad.

Oh Meg, that is such sad news, sad for your son and wife and sad for you and your husband.  Poor little mite, sounds like he didn't have a chance.  What an unhappy occasion for all concerned, sending good thoughts and sympathy to you all.

So sorry to hear your news Meg, very sad.

Momac - your suggestion of medical staff writing down instructions is an excellent one -as it saves someone else having to do it, especially if it's not always possible to have someone come with him, how long would it take to write down some instructions? 

Oh Meg, I'm so sorry. That's awful.

My sympathies with both of you Meg and Momac, I know what it's like.  I too have made my husband very lazy about looking after himself - he's always been incredibly brave about coping with his problems (caused by a stroke when he was 29) and I assumed that he would go on like that. He's got into expecting me to do things for him - yes like remembering if he's taken his pills but it even got as far at one point as him expecting me to go to second hand book fairs and choose his books for him because he couldn't bebothered. I went on strike about that one and said I wanted to look for books for myself!

Viccie, I guess all of us in one way or another have situations with which we have to deal and sometimes it feels easier than others.  Today we have brilliant sunshine and it seems to chase away some of the negativity and hopefully once Spring arrives things will seem a lot brighter, maybe not different, but a bit easier to cope with.

Daughter is back a work today, she is a Manager in a fast food restaurant and has been there  for over 30 years and is on salary and has some medical benefits and hopefully the seizures are completely under control.  She is hoping to get her Driver's Licence back this year as she misses being able to tootle around in her car.  I do worry a lot but that is my problem not hers.  The only other wrinkle right now is that she has carpal tunnel syndrome, she was crocheting  afghan blankets for all her friends and working hard at it before Christmas with the result she now has to wear a brace on her arm as her hand goes numb when trying to hold something weighty.  If it ain't one darn thing..........

Dave seems quite content today, one of the nurses came by to check on his BP and heart and all seems fine.  There are three weeks left on this hospital discharge program.  We made arrangements today to have the bathroom renovated so that we have a walk-in shower  which has a bench seat at the end so that you can sit down and shower or stand up and there is a moveable faucet so that I can sit and shampoo my hair rather than trying to hold on to a grab bar while dealing with shampoo bottle and faucet.  All it take is money!!!  It will be easier for Dave as he has trouble stepping over the bath tub rail to get into the present shower.

I hope your son and daughter in law Meg  find some comfort after their loss.  I wish them well.

On 3/5/2019 at 23:25, megustaleer said:

I've just read a very distressing email from our younger son. I hadn't heard from him since the beginning of February, so had an inkling that Something Was Up.

i was hoping that when he did get in touch it would be the longed for news of a second baby on the way - youngest grandson now being past his 2nd birthday.

Well, it would have been, but now it is not.

At the 12 week scan it was discovered that the hoped-for-baby had severe oedema, and a second scan 24 hrs later showed a substantial increase in the amount of fluid in its little body.  Apparently the result of heart failure, the condition would have been fatal, and so they sadly opted for a medically managed termination.

This is the fourth possible grandchild that has not made it to term (two for each DiL), and two growing up with genetic disabilities. 

I am very sad.

I'm so sorry, meg. Such worry and sadness for you all. Sending hope and all possible good wishes for the future.

Sorry Meg to hear that 

Have been reading a book by Lyn Andrews called Liverpool Lou, placed in the 1930's and in a poverty area of Liverpool where some were much poorer than others.  The residents were a mix of hard line Catholics and hard line Protestants and the bigotry and hatred was really hard to fathom, it was so bad that each looked on the other as evil and I was really shaken by the degree of hate.  Then I got to thinking that people who feel very strongly about any subject can stir up the same kind of annoyance in the milder form or hatred in the harder form.  Was thinking that people with certain beliefs have a way of weaving that belief into everyday occurrences which can be interesting or irritating.  I have a friend who is a dedicated tennis fan and attributes astrological behaviour to the way certain people play their game.  Today she was saying that the one young player whose play she said she analysed held true to his astrological sign in that he very carefully thought out  each shot placement as opposed to another young player who behaved in the Aries aggressive play and just hit at everything that came his way without too much planning, both good players.  She often refers to things that I think or do because of being an Aquarian which reduces my life to behaving the way my sign predicts.  It can be amusing or downright annoying.   Then we have the politicians whose thinking is divided along party lines and out trots the way that party believes even when it can easily be turned the other way.  Makes one wonder if we actually think for ourselves or how we behave is pre-ordained by the stars.:hmm:

Therer are times when I listen to panel discussions on American politics it's easy to pick out which is Republican and which is Democrat as soon as their opinion is offered even when you don't know the affiliation of that particular person.

Just a few random thoughts!

Edited by momac

I have found - through family mostly - that those who hold onto a particular belief regardless of anything else are not particularly intelligent.  

I once saw a documentary on racism (I wanted to find out how racists thought).  The camera crew were in a pub which was packed with racists and they were allowed to ask one question of one of the male individuals.  It was on the subject of Pakistanis and he was asked 'but what if they are born here?' his answer was "if a sheepdog is born in a barn it's still a (expletive here) sheep dog."  I said "what?" as I tried to follow the rationale and so did the film crew, clearly, as they were then asked to leave because they were upsetting (!) the racists and it could turn violent.  As far as I'm aware, Pakistan is a country and those born there, regardless of colour, are Pakistani.  He clearly thought that Pakistani was a race.  Which pretty much says it all as far as racism goes.  I've since seen the same type of opinion elsewhere on TV and one woman I was working with when a teenager expressed something equally inane and ill-informed.  

As for star signs ……….  Einstein was Pisces, get your friend to explain that one.

Some of us do think for ourselves but some don't.

So sorry about your sad news, Meg!  So difficult.

I am back from Istanbul and it was just as wonderful as I had hoped.  We had a great guide and ate like kings (queens, I guess) because my daughter is a foodie and had organized every dinner for us.  Our guide took us to more "home cooking" restaurants, so we had every level of food, all of which was delicious.   I have wanted to see the Hagia Sophia for decades and I can't believe I finally did it.  I will say that the Blue Mosque is being heavily renovated and so there wasn't all that much to see.  This is the story of my life when I travel, so I was philosophical about it.  Maybe next time...

Hi Binker, glad you had such a great trip, your photos were really interesting.  Sorry that the Blue Mosque was out of commission but there's always next year!  Sounds like you really enjoyed the meals, this triip will set you up for the next few months - maybe until wanderlust hits?

6094AB92-83AA-4B99-AA44-1E29C12088A5.thumb.jpeg.46636503b68ff6e8361176458e733b99.jpeg

This is what I made today.  It's mosaic crochet and at  11cm square is actually huge for a sample.  Was just going to use it as a dishcloth but my father decided that it was too pretty and would make a better placemat instead - so apparently I'll be making more!

ETA it's NOT 11cm it's 11 INCHES that's why it's huge!

Edited by lunababymoonchild