Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

I'm sorry to hear about your husband, Momac. They can do amazing things these days - my husband was in hospital for three weeks over the summer, his feet were so swollen that he thought he'd never be able to wear shoes again. Turned out he has a blood problem which our GP said wasn't serious (possible side effects, amputation of the feet, diabetes, stroke... so not serious at all!) He's now on some fairly scary pills which work and complains his shoes are too big! Hopoing for the same for your husband.

Thank you Luna and Viccie, I am hopeful that we will get Dave home soon but I really want his medication to be sorted so that we can keep him healthy at home.  Of course, his regular cardiologist is away on holiday also his GP is away for the month of January, but hopefully the hospital cardio who seems like a very knowledgeable man is able to prescribe instructions which will prevent this happening again.  Dave will have to be extra careful about food intake ( read that as Maureen will have to be careful) as he likes to eat and he doesn't always go along with what I say but if he hears it from a medical voice of authority he will hopefully be really careful.  His heart is getting weaker as he gets older but with care and supervision he should have a few more good years.  We are both elderly so can't expect miracles but we can try to keep ourselves healthier.  I may be able to get some home care counselling which is provided by the municipality, I'll phone about that once Dave is home.  Again thanks for the kind words.

Momac, sorry to hear that. My friend's father has been in exactly the same situation this week and has gone from being very ill in a cardiology care unit to entertaining the nursing staff with his jokes. It's wonderful what good healthcare can do.

Thanks mm, will be going down to the hospital n about an hour, thankfully the snow has stopped but temp heading down to -21c so a really cold day.  Hubby will be nice and warm in the hospital.  Yesterday he was feeling a bit cold and the nurse brought him a warmed up blanket - maybe a special warmer where they keep blankets heated, so he was cozy.  Hoping to maybe get him home tomorrow.  Grateful for all the words of encouragement, many thanks.

Sorry to hear that, good to hear he's improved though and that you sound so positive.

-21 wow, stay warm!

Thank you Madeleine, hubby is off the oxygen today so his breathing has been o.k. Don't know if and when he will be o.k. to come home.  Just have to wait and see what the doctor says.  Hate being alone in the house when daughter is on afternoon shift, however, Charlie, our older dog keeps me company.

Thank you brightphoebus for your message, just found out hubby has been transferred to a ward which means he's not getting home today, at least he will have a hospital phone I can keep in contact with him, cell phone wouldn't work. Will now have to find out how to get to where he is, massive renovations just completed recently at the hospital - also need to be able to speak to the doctor at some point.  Life gets complicated!  Gave Charlie a hug from you, he doesn't know what's going on with Sheila and I coming and going and his Dad missing.:quiver:

Dave looking a bit brighter today, he was happy he was allowed to have a shower, amazing how much better a shower makes you feel.  It was heart failure they were treating hm for, the fluid building up in his body, particularly his lungs, causing him to wheeze; the doctor at the walk-in clinic told him right away he had to head to the hospital and would have to go by ambulance and not to drive there.  The fluid was too much for the heart to pump easily so they were injecting him with medicine to drain away the fluid.  Now they are assessing him for his mobility and other things. We are in line for home help when he is discharged because of his lack of mobility and there is quite a long list of people we can call on for 60 days for help on various things, covered by our medical plan, and after that if we still need help there is another association which is for a greater area encompassing Burlington and surrounds which steps in.

I'm thinking that we could change the small back bedroom into a sitting room for him with tv and easy chair etc. so that he could move around fairly freely all on the one level. We have a four level home and the bedroom would be accessible to the bathroom, shower, the main bedroom, the computer room and the 'hold all' room where we have some plants started on a table by the window. That would save him from climbing the stairs all the time - anyway we will have to see what he wants to do. Even if he only needed to come down two or three times for meals it would save him a lot of stair climbing. Maybe get him home in the next day or two.  It certainly is a life changing event in our house for which we will have to make major adjustments.  Sorry for the long medical explanation, kind of helps me to put it in writing and to get it straightened out in my thinking.

Momac, post anything you like and when you feel like it.  We are always here for you.

I managed a trip to the dentist yesterday, for the first time in two months.  I did dry retch but went anyway and my last treatment is in a fortnight.  Then I'll have to pay for it!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Sounds like a good plan Momac, and a sensible one.  Good that you're having help too, hope all goes well.

Thanks for your response Madeleine, Dave may be home tomorrow then we can see how he manages the stairs. 

Just ordered A Moment in Time by H.E. Bates after seeing Luna's post on The Jacaranda Tree.

Dave is home from the hospital today now cozily sleeping in his afternoon nap bed, he was a bit shaky on his legs but after 9 days in the hospital and not allowed to walk unless a nurse was around to help him he's a bit wobbly but he'll soon get around a bit more.  We are currently having a bit of a wild snowstorm and it's really cold but then it's winter, will make us appreciate Spring more.

Our neighbour, Mike, whose wife is in the same hospital and still there, has been a tower of strength for me, taking me down there when he goes and bringing me home when he leaves.  He brought Dave home today and used our car as it has higher seats and easier for us oldsters to get in and out of.  I can't say enough about how kind he has been to us.  I hope his wife gets home soon too although she has been really quite ill but is getting good attention, her doctors seem very competent.  

Thanks to all for kind words and wishes. :)

glad to hear that he is home, momac and hopefully he'll be back to full strength soon

Hi iff, he's moving very slowly but managing with a walking stick indoors. Physio man said he has to get moving around more to strengthen the leg muscles. I'm having to pay lots of attention to his food, salt is to be cut drastically, fruit and veggies good, canned food or store prepared food not good.  His diagnonis was suspected heart failure that's why he had to have lots of fluid drained in hospital.  It's unfortunate that I'm not an enthusiastic cook, however, just have to get used to it. Thanks for good wishes.:)

I "joined" a book club in real life.  The reason "joined" is in quotes is that I kept resisting on the grounds that I don't like being told what to read, but my friend just told me I was in and then sent an email to the group that I was happy to join and assigned me March!  I picked Any Human Heart because William Boyd hasn't quite made it over the pond.  Last year, my friend picked Old Filth and the group loved it and was startled that they weren't familiar with Jane Gardam. I think I will get a similar reaction to William Boyd.  I hope so.

But before that, I am going to Istanbul for a week with my daughter!  SO excited.  This has been  a long-time goal of mine and so we are just going ahead and doing it.  I'm very excited.  Will re-read The Architect's Apprentice before I go because Sinan designed just about everything we are going to see.

What an exciting trip you have planned, will brighten your winter weather although you maybe don't have depressing days in Dallas.  We are still icy and slushy and cold.  Seems to me I used to enjoy winter but now not so much.  Hope you have a great time in Istanbul.:)

Binker, I will read the book you mention (The Architect's Apprentice) as I too am off to Istanbul but not until June..  Hugely looking forward.

It's perfect for that trip!  Someone on BGO went to Croatia at the same time I did in 2015, too, but I don't think it was you.   Your trip won't be as brutal as ours.  I have managed to not retain the knowledge of how long we will be in the air.  It's going to be great.

Momac, we don't get winter like you do, but it can be cold and a bit wet.   We rarely get snow.   Last night, I walked out of the grocery store to misting rain, which is not typical here, and a man and I stopped on the sidewalk in stunned surprise.  Today is sunny, but colder than I would like.

have a great time Binker!

I had today off work, so naturally it's rained all day, yesterday was lovely and no doubt tomorrow will be too.  Picked up my prescription sunglasses so hopefully will get to use them.

I've not been too good recently.

There has been a virus going round that is like a bad cold, but a few days after you think you are rid of it, it recurs. i had this from New Year's Eve until into this month. The final iteration was in the form of a really harsh cough - almost unremitting. That lasted for a week, and set off another session of irregular heartbeat, and very high blood pressure  - like I had during the hottest part of last summer.

At least the virus seems to be really over, as are the repurcussions from tripping over my doorsill back in December.

I have had some investigations, and have just had  24hrs on a portable ECG monitor. Unfortunately, at the time of the previous investigations, and during the period with the ECG monitor I was symptom-free, although yesterday evening, after I had returned the monitor I felt really unwell, and my Bp was higher than I have seen it before.

OK-sih again this morning, and I have an appointment for a Bp review next Monday.

As long as I can put his meals on the table Mr meg thinks I'm OK (although he is having to get his own lunch more often, as I have to nap earlier and earlier) - and at the moment everything he says or does - or doesn't do - sends my stress levels rocketing up. Try as I might, I am being a bit snappy with him!

On the positive side, I am just about managing to sit and read a bit - have already read more books than in the whole of last year :) 

So sorry Meg that you are having a rough time, I hope that you get to feel a lot better soon, pardon the bold type, doesn't seem to want to go back to unbold so will have to go with what's there.  It is difficult to feel positive when you feel rotten and I understand the feeling of irritation when you just don't feel right.  I can sympathize with that although the shoe is on the other foot here, with hubby getting frustrated because he wants to be back to feeling the way he used to feel and becomes difficult to deal with.  I have a chronic back problem which limits me and I get cranky when I have trouble reaching up into cupboards for an item which is just out of my reach and a lot of times I have to sit down to do meal preparation, it would be lovely to have a servant!  Lets hope that as the nicer Spring weather arrives health matters begin to get a bit easier to deal with.  Lots of rest Meg and lots of reading and good wishes that your health picks up soon.:)