Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

10 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Love that, Luna!  Have missed you in the last couple of weeks, glad youare beginning to feel better.

Aw thanks Meg

4 hours ago, Clavain said:

Luna it's apparently Nickel that you are allergic to. Gold jewellery contains it unless its 24 carat and nickel is the metal most people are allergic to. Similar problem with an ear ring years ago. 

iff it's strange but I prefer Christine & the queens in french. Shame you missed them.

1st December and found out today will be spending Christmas day with my best friend,his wife,his daughter and 4 year old granddaughter and mother in law. Have a sneaking suspicion he wanted a male presence in the house of four females :) Still bah humbug but maybe not that day :)

Clavain, it is the nickel that I am allergic to but I had no idea it was in 9 carat gold.  I had my ears pierced when I was twelve and 9 carat gold was used to make sure that there wasn't an allergic reaction.  I've had eczema my whole life (of course) and have been able to wear any type of ear-ring that I wanted, until now.  I have now acquired titanium ear-rings for daily wear and feel a lot better.

I'm sure that your best friend was interested in the pleasure of your company, Clavain.  The happiest men I've ever met lived in an all female household.  I'm with you on the Bah Humbug though. 

Sorry to hear that your dental work is still ongoing iff.  So is mine.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Dodgy typing

21 hours ago, momac said:

I guess you're getting an implant or a crown iff?  The whole idea of things dental right now makes me shudder.  Even where he put the freezing in is a bit painful and I just hope the filled tooth settles down. Less pain killer today so I'm hopeful.  

The implant is in and then I will be getting the permanent crown.

21 hours ago, momac said:

That's awful and a real disappointment to look foward to a production and find out it's cancelled after getting the train there.  I hope the Whelan concert turns out well and your money won't have been wasted.

The Whelan's gig was very good. I hadn't been aware of any of the acts playing but good sound, folksy rocky pop it was.

Got EPs from 2 of the acts after the gig and they were very nice 

Good luck and nice to get a new tooth for Christmas.  A bit like the old song "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth".  :)

17 hours ago, Clavain said:

iff it's strange but I prefer Christine & the queens in french. Shame you missed them.

I don't really have a preference. Both the French and English CDs get played :)

12 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Sorry to hear that your dental work is still ongoing iff.  So is mine.

Edited by iff

Good to hear that the implant is in. When do you get the crown?

Just keep away from Christmas puddings that have had silver sixpences added!

Those implants are really the way to go now for those who can afford them.  Terribly expensive here but they look good.

no pain pills today although my  face looks as though I have been punched.  Apparently what probably happened was the dentist hit a blood vessel when he put the anaesthetic needle in and that was what was causing the pain, not the filled tooth. Wonderful to be pain free.

Sounds like you are going to be enjoying the Christmas spirit anyway Clavain, nice.

Most gifts now wrapped  in furoshiki.

I will have to make a few more, as I keep buying extra presents, but once the furoshiki are made the wrapping is so quick and easy - and it is much better than paper for awkward shapes. 

Just hoping the family will not want to keep them for their own use next Christmas, and give them back for me to re-use. :naughty:

16 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Good to hear that the implant is in. When do you get the crown?

Just keep away from Christmas puddings that have had silver sixpences added!

18th december

Taking a break from reading before bed.  Just re-dicovered Rosamunde Pilcher, had read a couple of her books some years ago and seemed to forget how much I enjoyed her writing.  Coming Home Is shaping up to be a good read and will enjoy getting away from the WWII books which have held me in thrall for several weeks.

Dental problem clearing up, thank heavens, a really unpleasant interlude.l

Meg, your wrapping of the Christmas presents sounds really pretty, are you able to hint that you would like to have the wrappings back? :)

:scratchhejust realized that I won't be getting away from WWII as part of the family will be heading to Singapore just around 1939.  

Edited by momac

5 hours ago, momac said:

:scratchhejust realized that I won't be getting away from WWII as part of the family will be heading to Singapore just around 1939.  

??You have a Tardis??

5 hours ago, momac said:

are you able to hint that you would like to have the wrappings back?

Oh yes, it will be a communal family present-opening and Mr meg puts himself in charge of gathering up the litter of discarded wrapping paper, so I will just extract the fabric ones.

I will first ask the DiLs if they want to keep them to use next year, but it's unlikely that they would bother.

5 hours ago, momac said:

Just re-dicovered Rosamunde Pilcher, had read a couple of her books some years ago and seemed to forget how much I enjoyed her writing.

I read The Shell Seekers back in the eighties - it didn't appeal but, having forgotten that I didn't enjoy it I watched the TV version, which I liked even less. I am glad that her books give you pleasure, and there seem to be plenty to choose from.

Meg, in the book Coming Home, the father works in Ceylon and will be transferring to Singapore just as the wife and youngest child head back over to join him, also the elder daughter will be attending boarding school in England as she has just moved to a 14+ form,  so the mother, father and small child will be heading into danger as Singapore will be a target from the Japanese in WWII with probably more serious consequences maybe met than by the daughter remaining in Cornwall.  I'm just assuming as I'm not that far ahead in the book yet.

No time machine Meg, was going by the time period the story is happening in.

John KEATS, "Ode on Melancholy" just posted in the poetry thread.  Wow what an impact that had!  Just about winded me.  Off to see if there's any more of it.

Hi Luna, just read Ode on Melancholy - telling what not to do when depressed, but some pointers to get out of the doldrums, do you think he suffered from depression?  Haven't read up on his life.  Went to Spark Notes to see what he was quoting otherwise, do you enjoy poetry?

5 minutes ago, momac said:

Hi Luna, just read Ode on Melancholy - telling what not to do when depressed, but some pointers to get out of the doldrums, do you think he suffered from depression?  Haven't read up on his life.  Went to Spark Notes to see what he was quoting otherwise, do you enjoy poetry?

I don't know, Momac but I would imagine that he had some sort of artistic temprament.  I love poetry and don't read nearly enough of it.  That particular one certainly had an impact as soon as I read it.

5 hours ago, momac said:

No time machine Meg, was going by the time period the story is happening in.

Ah! Hadn't made the connection with the book you are reading.

Meg, I'm having a slow time getting into the meat of the story in Coming Home, seem to be a bit bogged down in interior decorating and layers of description and I'm only at the first visit of the young girl to a friend's posh house.  Will have to see if my patience is equal to the garnishment.:hmm:

Moving very slowly and carefully at the moment.

I tripped over the doorsill on Friday and ended up flat on my back, completely winded, on the narrow (and rain-soaked) path between us and the neighbour's garden wall. How I didn't end up in hospital is a wonder. It frightened me a bit, and frightened Mr meg a lot, as he thought I'd broken my back. I have bruises and pain in muscles and joints all over, goodness knows what I hit on the way down !

Mr meg wanted me to take to my bed, but I knew I would seize up if I did that, so have kept moving and gradually the various aches are reducing, and I am a bit less stiff. 

At least I can be fairly sure that I don't have osteoporosis!

Meg so sorry that you have had a nasty fall, quite a shock to the system besides the aches and pains arising from it.  You are better to keep moving and I find that a heating pad for the worst aches is quite soothing, don't know if it takes the pain away, but it is a comfort anyway.  Glad you didn't need to go to the hospital.  Take care, and I hope your aches will be mostly gone by Christmas so that you can enjoy the season.

8 hours ago, momac said:

I find that a heating pad for the worst aches is quite soothing, don't know if it takes the pain away, but it is a comfort anyway.  

Thanks to you and Madeleine for your good wishes.

I am using a hot wheat bag when sitting, and a couple of hot water bottles in bed. I seize up when seated or lying down, and getting moving again is painful. The heat definitely helps to ease both the stiffness and the pain. 

Of course last weekend was supposed to be devoted to a thorough house-clean in preparation for putting up the Christmas decorations. That is now progressing very, very slowly, and I am getting Mr meg to do all the low bending, high reaching and carrying. I am confining myself to removing the pictures and ornaments, gently dusting and polishing the surfaces between hip and shoulder height, and arranging the Christmassy things to my liking.

This way of doing things may continue longer than is strictly necessary :naughty: 

Sorry to hear of your fall Meg, I hope you get well soon.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and vitamin D deficiency.  I am now struggling with my diet and too exhausted to exercise. I was aware that millions walk around with the condition and don't know it but I ended up seeing the doctor for very unpleasant symptoms and he did a full panel blood test and that's what came back.  I don't have the same unpleasant symptoms so that's good but I still feel unwell.  I still have to finish my dental treatment.  

Still at least I have a good book to read and another Christmas themed one to follow.

Glad that you are getting around a wee bit Meg, it really is inconvenient to have any sort of drawbacks when you are trying to get ready for the festive season, but just do what you can and leave the rest, probably you will be the only one who notices any small thing you haven't done.  I have found this Christmas that I haven't put out nearly as many decorations or ornaments as I have done in the past and it looks o.k. and there will be less to put away after. Just take care of yourself, feeling better is more important.

Sorry Luna that you have diabetes and vitamin D deficiency but now that the problem has been identified you can get the medication you need to make you feel better and I hope it works quickly to get you back up to speed.  Best wishes for feeling better soon.

Thanks Momac.  I have vitamin D tablets to take and, of course, I'm in the process of altering my diet.  Exercise is out of the question just now as I'm too tired.

Sorry about your diagnosis, luna, but pleased that the worst of your symptoms have been alleviated. I hope you quickly get a diabetes-friendly diet established, and that you regain enough energy to start taking a bit of exercise.

8 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Sorry about your diagnosis, luna, but pleased that the worst of your symptoms have been alleviated. I hope you quickly get a diabetes-friendly diet established, and that you regain enough energy to start taking a bit of exercise.

Thanks Meg.  I see the nurse tomorrow so all things diet will be discussed then and hopefully made easier.

Edited by lunababymoonchild