Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

it's not surprising that people are getting colds, the weather is so changeable there's no knowing what's coming next.

It was so chilly on Saturday that I switched the heating on (afternoon & evening) - and tomorrow the temperature is supposed to reach the mid-twnties. It had better not, all my hot-weather clothing has been washed and packed away!

I've got a bit of a cold too, started with a sore throat on Friday, it's not too bad, just a bit sniffly but it's so changeable, cold in the morning then warmish, then cold again!

My sympathies to all of you suffering from Autumn colds, changeable weather is probably to blame.  We have been shivering for a couple of days and wearing sweaters and today we have the air conditioning on for the sudden rise in temperature.  Fortunately I am not organized enough to have put all summery wear away so didn't have to look very far for lighter clothing.  Just a funny postscript to this, I'm reading the book by Stormy Daniels, the lady who was paid supposedly to keep quiet about her liaison with Donald Trump.:ssh:

I didn't have to unearth a sundress today, the temperature, although pleasantly dry, sunny and warm, was several degrees lower than the forecasters were expecting. Supposedly only a postponement though, they say the hot weather will be tomorrow.Then comes the rain and the colder air.

I took advantage of the fine day to send Mr Lil onto the shed roof to give it a fresh layer of roof paint. It needs doing twice a year as otherwise it leaks. (It's pretty ramshackle).

I would have replaced it with a nice dry, non-leaning one when we moved in, but Mr Lil was determined that he could fix it. It is leaning less than it was, and if he paints the roof bi-annually, and puts extra pins around the windows when the glass slips, it does very well :rolleyes:

We had some really cool weather last week and suddenly it's summer again but the outlook for Friday is a high of 9, so a really quick cooldown. I wonder if we are all doing this to ourselves with the industrial and car emissions  - we've been warned that the planet has about 11 years to get our act together or suffer the consequences, floods, fire, drought, food shortage, etc. Really scary prediction. So these quick and unusual temperature changes may be part of things to come. :scratchhe

1 hour ago, momac said:

We had some really cool weather last week and suddenly it's summer again but the outlook for Friday is a high of 9, so a really quick cooldown. I wonder if we are all doing this to ourselves with the industrial and car emissions  - we've been warned that the planet has about 11 years to get our act together or suffer the consequences, floods, fire, drought, food shortage, etc. Really scary prediction. So these quick and unusual temperature changes may be part of things to come. :scratchhe

11 years. That’s very optimistic. I suppose it’s better than nothing. 😎

It was 25c in London today. That’s very hot for October. Vineyards in the U.K. are producing red grapes for the first time. We might end up like the Mediterranean.

On 09/10/2018 at 12:55, Madeleine said:

I've got a bit of a cold too, started with a sore throat on Friday, it's not too bad, just a bit sniffly but it's so changeable, cold in the morning then warmish, then cold again!

Hope your cold is better. I found the best remedy for a sore throat and a cough is licorice.Some people swear euchanasia spray.works  best for them.

Edited by Loretta

24 minutes ago, Loretta said:

Hope your cold is better. I found the best remedy for a sore throat and a cough is licorice.Some people swear euchanasia spray.works  best for them.

euchanasia - I read that as euthanasia and was wondering where you could get a spray for that, lol

17 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

euchanasia - I read that as euthanasia and was wondering where you could get a spray for that, lol

I’m not surprised you thought it was euthanasia. I misspelt it. 😮 It’s echinacea. lol

58 minutes ago, Loretta said:

I’m not surprised you thought it was euthanasia. I misspelt it. 😮 It’s echinacea. lol

Ha, ha, ha.  Close enough.  I'll bet someone else knew what you meant!

1 hour ago, Loretta said:

I’m not surprised you thought it was euthanasia. 

It's rather a drastic treatment for a sore throat, but I guess it would do the trick.

:naughty:

10 hours ago, Loretta said:

11 years. That’s very optimistic. I suppose it’s better than nothing. 😎

It was 25c in London today. That’s very hot for October. Vineyards in the U.K. are producing red grapes for the first time. We might end up like the Mediterranean.

Have been wondering how the scientist(s) worked out the math about how fast the earth's surface was heating up.  I really doubt whether the US President will pay any notice to it anyway, he keeps blatting away about how wonderful clean coal is and he has reversed all the protection of the environment rules placed by Obama and withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accord.  He's a worldwide menace. :mad:

4 hours ago, momac said:

Have been wondering how the scientist(s) worked out the math about how fast the earth's surface was heating up.  I really doubt whether the US President will pay any notice to it anyway, he keeps blatting away about how wonderful clean coal is and he has reversed all the protection of the environment rules placed by Obama and withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accord.  He's a worldwide menace. :mad:

Was wondering that myself but it's not just Donald Trump who doesn't care, the Chinese have a worse environment record than they have on human rights and look at the plastic the Indians chuck into their drinking water!

I have started the autumn clear-up in the garden - even though we are still getting midsummer temperatures. I suspect that when winter comes it will come fast and hard and there won't be any time for all the jobs that still need doing - already the short days have drastically cut the available gardening time.  

We seem to have stopped getting autumns and springs (my favourite seasons) and need to adjust to the new regime.

I have taken down half of the climbing beans, in the process finding enough edible beans to give us half a helping each. I also found what I took to be the last courgette in one of the raised beds, but another plant has a few embryonic fruit on it, so I have left that still growing for a few days in the hope that this warm spell will last long enough for one or two to develop a bit more.

We still have chard, but it is very holey, so I must cut it down, clear the ground round it and hope it will give us some new growth without holes. The leeks are very tall, and some have bolted, so I have no idea what their eating quality is. The romanesco cauliflowers are not showing any sign of flowers yet, but they were very late last year. My experimental 'kalettes', which I just crammed into a space where a clematis had not reappeared this year, seem to be producing the required florets - nowhere near eating size yet, but I have hopes.

The autumn fruiting raspberries are still producing fruit, but in very small quantities - sometimes it's not worth bringing them into the house, so I eat 'em as I pick 'em.:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Was wondering that myself but it's not just Donald Trump who doesn't care, the Chinese have a worse environment record than they have on human rights and look at the plastic the Indians chuck into their drinking water!

You're right of course about the Chinese, they are probably the worst polluters, haven't read too much about the Indian thing.  Lots of things to worry about in this old world of ours if we have a mind to. I keep hoping for the best.

Meg you are certainly 'a jardinier extraordinaire' - excuse my pidgin French.  It must give you a lot of satisfaction to bring in your crop at the end of summer then you can sit an plot out your plantings for the coming Spring.  You also must have a rare amount of energy.  I envy that, I used to enjoy all the flower planting, not so much the veggies, I left that to Dave.  Now I have a really nice young man who comes and plants my flowers, and once a month comes and does the dead heading, weeding and tidying up.  He'll be along in the next month or so to take out the flowers and plant some more bulbs, there are bulbs in already but the squirrells eat everything except daffodil bulbs and so I lost a bunch of bulbs when they burrowed under the netting.  Will have to anchor it down more securely this time.  The weather is going to turn cold and it will be down to 9C on Friday, so we go from late summer heat to winter cold but that's fine with me, don't much care for the hot, humid weather at all.

I've just been looking at the devastation caused by Hurricane Michael down in Florida -  people who had lived in houses on the beach no longer have homes, the 150 mph hurricane winds just destroyed  them.  I would not like to live in Florida yet it is really popular just like California and look at the wild brush fires they have there.  I don't know how people manage when everything that they own has been destroyed by wind and water.

I have the same problem with squirrels, they ate nearly all my allium bulbs a couple of years ago, and loads of freesias another time, and tulips too.  There's not much they don't like!

have a couple of birthdays at work so a serious amount of chocolate has been brought in, well it is Friday!

11 hours ago, momac said:

You also must have a rare amount of energy. 

I have very little energy at the moment so I expend it sparingly, and only where I get satisfaction from it - you may have noticed that housework never gets a mention, and not much cooking these days.:naughty:

I am quite keen to get the garden 'put to bed' at the moment - putting down weed-suppressant fabric and fox-thwarting netting - in case I find I have even less energy in the spring.

Not that I don't have plans for next year's garden, but if everything is more or less done and under cover I can remove the various protections as and when I want to tackle each area.

Back to cooler weather again, heavier duvet back on the bed again.  Nice change but quite sudden, too hot yesterday and today switched the heat on.

The housework will always be there Meg and sandwiches are easy when the energy level is low.

Have to keep banging on the window to chase the squirrels who keep launching themselves onto the seed log circular feeder hanging from the awning.  It is great for attracting cardinals, bluejays, chickadees, woodpeckers and multitudes of sparrows and, of course, the daring squirrels who jump about 5 feet across from our wooden arbour or who climb onto the roof of the house and come at the feeder from above.  There's just no discouraging them.  I have to look on it as a form of exercise for my left arm holding my picker-up stick but I'm afraid I may damage the window. :(

Our neighbours' grandchildren were visiting them today and, Mike, their Grandpa and also our "groundskeeper" had piled all the fallen leaves in our side yard ready for mulching with the lawnmower.  It was a magnet for the kids, five and ten years old, and they came across the road to play in the leaves. It was lovely to see youngsters enjoying rolling around in the leaves.  It has been a long time since our grandchildren were young enough to do that.  A bit of nostalgia but pleasant.

Edited by momac

Yes squirrels are very athletic aren't they, fascinating watching the different ways they manage to find of getting at  the bird feeders, I've long  given up trying to deter the ones in our garden, and now their separate feeder is broken I can't really stop them from feeding off the other feeders (which they did anyway).

Much cooler here too after a lovely Saturday, and also much wetter!