Sideshow Meg

what is everyone doing?

3 hours ago, cherrypie said:

our little granddaughter has been a bit unwell......... it seems she has a milk allergy. 

Our Grandbaby has an allergy to cows milk, apparently not to lactose but to milk protein. He came out in a nasty rash when he was given baby rice, which had  milk as one of its ingredients. As he is now 12months old they have been given a plan to gradually re-introduce it into his diet,  He also suffers from eczema, and although there hasn't been a re-occurence of the rash they are wondering if a recent flare up of the exzema could have been triggered by milk.

Your daughter is very lucky that you have been available to help and support her.

Sorry CP that your granddaughter has been having a problem with her formula, it is always worrying when you have to try different things to see what works.  Good that you are able to help out.  I'm sure they'll get the problem sorted.

You too, Meg, I think there is sometimes the possibility that the child will grow out of the allergy, at least I think I've heard of that.  Let's hope that this is so.

Thanks for your kind thoughts Meg and Momac. They are much appreciated. Like your Grandbaby Meg our little one came out in a rash too and like our daughter has eczema.  We are hoping that unlike our daughter as she has it so young she will grow out of it. Unfortunately both her parents have eczema as do I and my Dad so the chances of her having it were always quite high. As to the milk allergy it is hoped that when she is weaned milk can be added slowly to her diet. Just like your grandbaby Meg it seems to be the cows milk protein that is the problem and not the lactose. We are just glad that she is so much happier and taking her bottles a little easier.  Hopefully her growth will catch up soon too.

Although cold and a bit windy here today it is lovely and sunny so I was able to get out for a long walk earlier.  It is amazing how a long walk in the he fresh air can make me feel so refreshed. I am not a good winter person and find that my walks really help. Our daughter intends coming over tomorrow for the day with the little one so am getting as many jobs done as possible, around the tennis from St Petersburg of course!!  The little one is really beginning to respond now and is nearly rolling over on her own.  Although she has had a bit of a rough time of late she is still a really happy baby and is all smiles now that she is not in so much pain. A real joy to watch although Ruby is not sure that she is keen!!  I think she thinks she should be our only baby!!

I am still feeling really rough with this cold, and sleeping badly - but he sun tempted me out into the garden for an hour's 'pottering" this morning. I have been told my levels of vitamin D are low, so tried to tell myself being outside would help, but I didn't have much skin exposed today, so it was only a teeny tiny dose.

I felt good at the time, but it didn't last for long, and I fell asleep in an armchair during the afternoon.  In bed or in a chair, I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours, and wake up really congested.  Will be off to bed in a few minutes, then probably up again by midnight. :(

It started on Sunday, so must be peaking soon, and then I should be starting to feel better.

Nice that you got out for a walk CP, and tomorrow you get to cuddle the little one.  Good week for you.

Don't overdo the gardening bit Meg, lots of Springtime yet to come.  Hope you get rid of your cold soon.

Meg, at my last physical the doctor suggested I get Vitamin D droplets, 1000 IU per drop.  Just one drop per day on the tongue for bone health and the immune system. Hoping it keeps my D up to proper level - I don't get out much when the weather is so cold.

Hope you feel better soon Meg. There seems to be some horrible bugs around this winter. So far I have been pretty lucky and avoided them all!  I take Adcal D3 which is supposed to help with my calcium levels as it contains both calcium and vitamin D. Even so the results of a recent blood test showed that my calcium levels are still a little low!  An excuse for more lattes!!

Our daughter has been over today with the little one. Lovely to see them and have lots of cuddles and we were lucky enough to be able to go out for a bracing walk. Pushing the pram with my granddaughter in is still a novelty!  Only problem is getting her to take her feeds. What a nightmare. Alhough she is now on non cows milk formula the fear of pain around feeding has not faded. She is so good in all other ways bless. Just glad I am here to help so much. 

I have finally unearthed the postcard on which I jotted down the books I read in 2016. (for the first 3 months of that year I was without internet access, and never got round to posting the list on BGO).

So, I have been trying to construct my BGO booklist for 2016, following the same format i had used for previous years (which is why I am trying to "Bookmark" all my previous Book Lists - see the Site News and Support" forum) . As I try to include links to the threads on those books it is a bit time consuming when dealing with a years worth, so it will take a while!

Now, when I found the list I was startled to find that I didn't recognise many of the titles, but as I looked them up on BGO, or Amazon I generally recognised them from the reviews. However, I have just found one that I supposedly listened to on audiobook (as I did with many that year) and it rang no bells at all. There is no thread on BGO, and a long online review of the book has not sparked any recognition in me.

I'm not sure if I should actually include it in my list as it seems to have made no impression on my brain at all.:eek:

It is Sebastian Barry's The Temporary Gentleman. Has anybody else read it?

I am thinking of starting a thread on "Books I Have Totally Forgotten" !!!

50 minutes ago, megustaleer said:

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of potential entries for that list.  One of the things I enjoy about BGO is that writing a review helps cement the book in my mind.  Failing that, reading the review of others reminds me of the book.  

14 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I looked through one of those "1000 books you must read in your lifetime" lists and ticked off around 650 that I know for certain that I've read, plus about another 70 that I probably had but may just think I have because I know quite a lot about the book. Out of the 650 definites there were a good 200 that I have absolutely no recollection of the content at alll, though I can remember the cover, the book in my hands and sometimes whether I enjoyed them or not. Anna Karenina for instance (I've re-read it since), the Plague by Camus, the whole Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent which I swallowed avidly when I was 21.

The only list I have which I may or may not have read since moving away from hard backed books are the ones listed in my account on Amazon.ca and they are all Kindle books.  All the books I have ever read are stored someplace in my memory as I have never kept a list.  I know I've never read Anna Karenina, may have seen the film, nothing by Camus or Bolitho, some of Alexander Kent but the rest of the seafaring ones were all WWII writers.  A lot of the more lofty tomes and non-fiction were read in years gone by and I seem to have settled on mysteries and thrillers now although always glad to participate in a BGO read.  Amazon are very good about letting me know if I try to buy a book I have already read.:)

Just learned from Google, much to my embarrassment, that Alexander Kent and Douglas Reeman are one and the same, and I have read everything that Douglas Reeman has written, some of them twice.  Never too old to learn something new!  :scratchhe

Edited by momac

22 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I have finally unearthed the postcard on which I jotted down the books I read in 2016. (for the first 3 months of that year I was without internet access, and never got round to posting the list on BGO).

So, I have been trying to construct my BGO booklist for 2016, following the same format i had used for previous years (which is why I am trying to "Bookmark" all my previous Book Lists - see the Site News and Support" forum) . As I try to include links to the threads on those books it is a bit time consuming when dealing with a years worth, so it will take a while!

Now, when I found the list I was startled to find that I didn't recognise many of the titles, but as I looked them up on BGO, or Amazon I generally recognised them from the reviews. However, I have just found one that I supposedly listened to on audiobook (as I did with many that year) and it rang no bells at all. There is no thread on BGO, and a long online review of the book has not sparked any recognition in me.

I'm not sure if I should actually include it in my list as it seems to have made no impression on my brain at all.:eek:

It is Sebastian Barry's The Temporary Gentleman. Has anybody else read it?

21 hours ago, Binker said:

I'm pretty sure I have a lot of potential entries for that list.  One of the things I enjoy about BGO is that writing a review helps cement the book in my mind.  Failing that, reading the review of others reminds me of the book.  

7 hours ago, Viccie said:

I looked through one of those "1000 books you must read in your lifetime" lists and ticked off around 650 that I know for certain that I've read, plus about another 70 that I probably had but may just think I have because I know quite a lot about the book. Out of the 650 definites there were a good 200 that I have absolutely no recollection of the content at alll, though I can remember the cover, the book in my hands and sometimes whether I enjoyed them or not. Anna Karenina for instance (I've re-read it since), the Plague by Camus, the whole Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent which I swallowed avidly when I was 21.

By complete co-incidence this popped up on my FB page : Why We Forget Most of the Books We Read

From that artucle:

It’s true that people often shove more into their brains than they can possibly hold.

I have been telling that to Mr meg - he as been using my memory to store information for him for years, and I can't manage to stuff any more in there!

For every new bit added an old bit disappears!

Interesting article Luna, however, it didn't tell me how to get back to where I could post my response.:)

You have the same sort of problem I have Meg, sort of a secretary for Dave's memories.  I have trouble with my own memory these days without extras. :(

Edited by momac

Enjoy your dusting of snow Meg, we are having a bit more lately, the snow plot was just by.

Viccie, ever since mentioning Douglas Reeman I've embarked on a mini readathon, have read Saracen and just starting in on Battleship, feels like meeting an old friend again.

We are going to have snow on Monday, that's exciting :) I also had just recovered from a quite serious cold, I couldn't talk for a week and a half and no medicine helped.... I don't wish this on anyone 

I've been quite busy the last couple of days, going through my old Book Lists. 

In 2009 I started adding links in my Book Lists to threads about the titles I had listed. Having just put my lists where I can easily open them I have started adding the thread links to the earlier years. I have only done 2006 so far, as it has been  difficult to find some threads, and some were lost never to be recovered in the great crash of that year.

Thanks to valiant efforts on the part of some members we got a lot of original material back, but we were not so lucky with the second crash, so I will have some 'dead' links to delete when I get to that year, That will be very sad :(

I am really impressed by people who keep book lists and I guess it was useful for you Meg as an Admin to keep everything running properly.  It would never have occurred to me to keep a list of what I've read although it is a bit of an annoyance when I have bought a book and find out that I've already read it.  That isn't a problem now as with a Kindle I can return it for a refund as I don't have the physical book in my possession.

2 hours ago, momac said:

I am really impressed by people who keep book lists and I guess it was useful for you Meg as an Admin to keep everything running properly.  It would never have occurred to me to keep a list of what I've read although it is a bit of an annoyance when I have bought a book and find out that I've already read it.  That isn't a problem now as with a Kindle I can return it for a refund as I don't have the physical book in my possession.

There's nothing to stop you keeping a list now. 

It never occurred to me to keep a list until I joined a book group, I was always good at remembering what I'd read.  Now, I wouldn't be without it as at the end of the year I can see what I have achieved and set new goals for the following year.

I did start keeping a list of the books that I have read and managed to keep it going for best part of a year or so but I have to admit that I did flounder somewhat and have never got back into the habit. I have decided that as I read for pleasure if I do read a book for the second time it does not really matter.  Although I read purely for pleasure I find that I do learn a lot from the books that I read which I count as a real bonus.

RG and I have had a really busy week. He had six rest days off on the trot but before we even got to them five of the six were already booked. We seem to spend our time juggling the care of RG's Mum with the giving of support to my parents and our daughter with her new baby!  I was at our daughter's all day yesterday as little one had her three month jabs.  She was a bit out of sorts but did sleep through our lunch at a nearby coffee shop enabling us to have a good natter. 

It is our quizz night at church tonight.  It always takes place in the chapter house attached to our church and includes a pancake supper. RG and I have been part of the winning team for the last two years so we have a lot to live up to. I only hope that RG does not fall asleep in his supper, he was up for work at 3.30 this morning!!

I started keeping a record and brief  'reviews' of my reading, fiction and non-fiction,  when I was at college.  All my book choices at that time related in some way to my subject and personal reading was a necessary part of the course - for essays and discussions. 

I still have those notebooks.

I started keeping a list again in my thirties when a group of at-home mums started a book group locally. Eventually I belonged to several book groups so it was useful to be able to check who I'd read which book with!

I had made notes to aid discussion in the local group, but did not keep them once I left the group. Afterwards I kept notebooks for a number of years with titles/authors/the group I had read the book with .and a sentence or two reminding me of my thoughts at the time.

I stopped keeping these notebooks when BGO began, as I then started to post my thoughts on threads here - assuming they would always be available!

Sadly, many of those threads disappeared in the first Big Crash, in 2007, and many more in the more recent  Disastrous Crash, when we were unable to recue many threads, but which led to the current iteration of BGO.

The BGO Book List threads now used by some of us started in 2006, and although some of these were lost, members worked hard to rescue as many lists as could be found hidden in odd corners of the web. Most people who keep Book Lists here just list title, author and,maybe, a rating. Since 2009 I have added links in mine to threads on the books, to remind myself of their contents, and of other members' thoughts  Sadly some of the earlier ones of these have been lost, too.

Although it's a bit tedious 'searching' for threads on my older reads, especially if they no longer exist on BGO, I am enjoying re-visiting the threads that do exist, and reading what I and others thought of them at the time.

I may gradually work my way through all 12 years worth (to date) and see how many I do actually remember!

Luna, there is no need for me to keep a list as all the books I read are stored in my Kindle library with Amazon although if Amazon disappears maybe the ones I have 'borrowed' from them will disappear also.  They have a scheme whereby for about $10.00 a month I can get 10 books for 'free' and it can end up being more than that if I read the book quickly and return it in exchange for another.  They are also stored in my Kindle archived on my device, alas, when my other Kindle gave up those  books are still on there I had read while using that Kindle but I don't know how I could access them - maybe some skilled techie could retrieve them.  The ones that are permanent in my library are the books I buy, not all books are available on the 'freebie' list.

CP - sounds like your life is really busy now helping out where needed, helps to keep you young though!:)

I don't know about keeping us young Momac!  At times we think it would be nice just to stop for a bit and have a duvet day. The only thing is that on the rare occasions that we get the chance we just cannot do it. We don't seem to be able to slow down to that extent these days.  I do still make sure that I keep time free to walk on a regular basis as it is the one thing that helps my back. Most of my reading is done first thing in the morning before I get out of bed or last thing at night before turning in.  Ruby is a great calmer downer of course. She is still as beautiful as ever and of course our granddaughter is a real joy.  Her coming into our lives is like nothing nothing else we have ever experienced.