Sign in to follow this  
Minxminnie

I just managed to resist ...

Ok, so we have a thread or two for posting what we've just acquired. But, with Mount TBR threatening to take over most of our homes, I bet we all exercise some willpower at times and walk away from books that we would really, really like to buy (and might one day.)

What are the ones that got away?

I just managed to resist buying The Complete Pollysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby. It's a collection of his columns about his own reading. I just know that I'd enjoy reading it, and I would instantly want to read most of the books he talks about, just to see if I agree with him. And my summer TBR is too tempting to allow a load of upstart newcomers to destabilise it. So I put it back. (It was hard.)

Minxminnie, as I've just posted on another thread, I frequently stop myself from buying books because of lack of funds. Not specific books, just purchases in general. If I really want one, I'll put it on my greemetropolis.com wish list or check the local library catalogue. That said, I'm planning a BIG Amazon order in a week or two when just about everything on my wish list there is published. I guess it's a 'holiday reading' phenomenon, but so many books are being issued in paperback in the first couple of weeks of July.

At the Carnegie and Greenaway announcement ceremony, I managed to resist buying any of the shortlisted titles (even though the authors / illustrators were there to sign them too). If I go to the Youth Library Group conference in September though, I bet I buy at least two of them....

At the Carnegie and Greenaway announcement ceremony, I managed to resist buying any of the shortlisted titles ... If I go to the Youth Library Group conference in September though, I bet I buy at least two of them....
Yes, it's as though we escape the books' clutches for the present but we know that sooner or later they will get us :)

After realising my TBR pile was 200 books high I've had to stop buying most books. Its hard though.

Joinging this form has resulted in me buying several books already. I have you guys to thank for Mythago Wood!

Again I have managed to pick up and put down without buying that huge new three-volume set of the complete works of Sherlock Holmes.

41893AAQ5XL._AA240_.jpg

My problem at the moment is that every time I pass a bookshop I have an urge to go in and buy an Alice Munro book. It makes no sense, as I've got two of hers at home that I haven't got round to reading yet. I also keep having an urge to buy copies of Richard Russo books I already own.

Re your comments about the Polysyllabic Spree, MinxMinnie: don't resist it! I just read it and enjoyed it more than anything I've read by NH before. Definitely a very BGO kind of book.

Re your comments about the Polysyllabic Spree, MinxMinnie: don't resist it! I just read it and enjoyed it more than anything I've read by NH before. Definitely a very BGO kind of book.

Oh, I've no doubt I will succumb soon.

But did it make you want to read lots and lots of new books? I've already got BGO for that!!

I have so far resisted buying 'Blaze' by Richard Bachman which was published in H/B a couple of weeks ago. I keep looking at it and I just know I will end up buying it soon.

After realising my TBR pile was 200 books high I've had to stop buying most books. Its hard though.
Maybe you can let us in on the secret how you manage this.

Let's start BBA - Book Buyers Anonymous. :D

My problem at the moment is that every time I pass a bookshop I have an urge to go in and buy an Alice Munro book. It makes no sense, as I've got two of hers at home that I haven't got round to reading yet. I also keep having an urge to buy copies of Richard Russo books I already own.

That is truly odd TC, and weirdly reminiscent of Mel Gibson's character in Conspiracy Theory who has to keep buying up copies of Catcher in the Rye - you aren't trying to tell us something are you?

I am going into town tomorrow and have hubbys credit card while he is away in Dublin - I will try very hard to resist the lovely big Borders...where I am meeting my mum...and she'll be her usual 30 mins late...

Oh, I've no doubt I will succumb soon.

But did it make you want to read lots and lots of new books? I've already got BGO for that!!

Yes, I suppose that was the one drawback. Fortunately, quite a few of the things he recommended were already here on my TBR pile, but I've already had a splurge on Anne Tylers in my local charity shop and got a copy of Joshua Ferris' Then We Came To The End, and Hornby can be blamed for that. He also may turn out to be the person who makes me read Chekov - might wait a couple of years for that, though. The good thing about the P Spree is that it's interesting even when NH is writing about a book that you know you will never read (maybe because he's always writing about the process of reading and the hang-ups associated with it more than the book itself).

That is truly odd TC, and weirdly reminiscent of Mel Gibson's character in Conspiracy Theory who has to keep buying up copies of Catcher in the Rye - you aren't trying to tell us something are you?

Ha! I think history has proved that a serious obsession with Catcher In The Rye is probably not going to end in a good place.

I used to have the same problem with records (which might explain why, mystifyingly, I still have three copies of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk). The problem with buying a spare paperback of Straight Man by Russo is that, unlike an original copy of The Flying Burrito Brothers' first album, it's probably never going to work as any kind of investment. Still, I'm very happy with my "I need another one since my first copy has gone a bit bloated since I dropped it in the bath" excuse (the Russo, that is - I have never dropped a record in the bath).

Darn that Nick Hornby! I went on a course a couple of years ago where he was the main speaker and I'm still trying to work through all the books he recommended. I think Anne Tyler is now my all-time favourite author. Funnily enough (or not), the course was in London on July 7, so it was a very strange sort of day with all of us stranded in the basement of the Guardian. Nick Hornby's not a bad person to be stranded with though!

Anne Tyler is one of my favourite authors, but I have been 'resisting' buying any of her books for some time, duplications being almost inevitable (there being two on my TBR mountain already, plus, I can no longer remember which of hers I've read in the past).

Surprisingly, there seems to be only one book by Anne Tyler which we have a thread for (if the author indices are to be trusted :rolleyes: )

I used to have the same problem with records (which might explain why, mystifyingly, I still have three copies of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk).
Don't have three of them but probably three different LP's of Fleetwood Mac with Tusk on it. ;)

I resisted buying - The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld in a WH Smith 3 for 2 on everything. (In fact I resisted buying anything but this title in particular.) The premise sounded interesting and I haven't ventured into crime fiction for a while.

Has anyone read it? Was I right to resist?

I have been forced to resist buying these:

cig_books2.jpg

They're books in ciggy packets...

but only because they're not out till Sunday!! I'm not particularly fond of any of the books, but I like the idea of the design, so I'm using it as an excuse to go to bookshopping on Sunday and have a big splurge. I should probably wait an extra week, because of the complicated path my wages take to get to my current account, but I don't think I can wait that long for a book splurge.

If anyones interested, more info on these here.

I just managed to resist buying The Complete Pollysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby.

So minxminnie, your willpower lasted less than a week by my reckoning...

Oh, Rosiebunny, those ciggy books look just lovely. I would love the Tolstoy one, since I like this author. Must order them soon ...

Don't have three of them but probably three different LP's of Fleetwood Mac with Tusk on it. ;)

Nothing wrong with that! It's definitely their underrated lo-fi classic.