Literature Map

megustaleer

I have just found an interesting site on another book forum.

You type in the name of a favourite author, hit the 'continue' button, and watch the names of other authors jostle for space. When they stop they are grouped according to how similar to your chosen author they are. The closer to that name, the more like they are supposed to be.

From the several names I've tried, it seems to work -inasmuch as the nearby names to the one I picked have been authors that I also like.

With one exception - Muriel Spark, who I like, had Mary Wesley, who I detest, as her 'most like' neighbour :(

Literature Map

That's certainly an interesting site, Meg! I can see myself coming back to that in the future.

That said, I might prefer it if there weren't quite so many names coming up for each author - where do you choose to stick in your pin if you haven't read many? (Also, do they have to swim around in front of your eyes? This isn't yoof TV where anything that remains static for five seconds is switched off!) Some of them are also slightly dubious. My last trial name was Terry Pratchett and on the edge I saw Tom Clancy's name bobbing in the waters.

Pratchett... Clancy... Hmmmm. :hmm:

where do you choose to stick in your pin if you haven't read many?
I guess you start at the nearest, as the one most like the author you started with
Also, do they have to swim around in front of your eyes?
Not nice for old eyes, I agree:rolleyes:
Some of them are also slightly dubious. My last trial name was Terry Pratchett and on the edge I saw Tom Clancy's name bobbing in the waters.

Pratchett... Clancy... Hmmmm. :hmm:

Well, it was on the edge, which makes it less like Pratchett than others. I suppose :D

I don't know who chooses what authors go where, or what the criteria are.

I can see that some of Muriel Sparks' and Mary Wesley's books deal with similar characters (middle class single women) in a similar time frame (mid 20th century), which maybe why they are considered to be like, but their style of writing is quite different.

The webmaster's own website is in German, and his name, "Marek", I think is Eastern European, which I find mildly interesting.

I went for David Gemmell and now have several new authors to look out for on my next Hay trip. It's also kind of fun to pick one you recognise quite on the edge and click on it, then pick one of the edge of that one and so on. I got back to Gemmell in about six tries. It's the book version of seven degrees of Kevin Bacon!

Hey, that's great! I typed in Paullina Simons, as I have loved everything I have read by her - it gave me some suggestions for novelists I haven't tried yet.:)

That was the first author I thought of typing in too - great minds huh?

What was your favourite book by her? Mine has to be Tully but Bronze Horseman comes a close second

I've used gnook before, which seems to be part of this site.

I think this relies largely on people inputting things they've enjoyed, maybe elsewhere on the site. It seems to work a bit like Amazon recommendations.

I put in Maggie O'Farrell, whose new book I've just finished. It gave me "Colin Brookmyre" as the closest match, but Amazon has never heard of him, and I think it's a typo for Christopher Brookmyre.

• 3 years later...

I love things that suggest other books of interest - I'm really into all my different old school mystery at the moment (all because of the secret notebooks of Agatha Chrisite) and this will be another way of picking similar books.

I just checked out Simon Brett (who my parents love) and there are some authors I don't think they know, so I'm going to try a couple out and I might have this years, mothers and fathers days gifts sorted by next month!

I'm really glad I decided to wander through some older posts - this is great fun Meg.

This is good - thanks for posting meg. I typed in Barbara Kingsolver and got some interesting results. I've read some of the closest ones, including Joyce Carol Oates and Ann Patchett, but nothing by Anne Lamott or Sue Monk Kidd, so might try them out. The one book I read by Alexander McCall Smith, who was also one of the closest - one of the books set in Scotland - I didn't really like, so might be less inclined to try him again.

I typed in Geraldine Brooks. I didn't recognise any of the names that came up. Lol

But on the side of the screen it said Jane Eyre? is that also an authoress? Anyhow when you click Jane Eyre it tells you Loisa may Alcott and Jim Morrison. :D

hmmm I might rely on advice at BGO rather than that map. ;)