Sign in to follow this  
Bill

SUBSCRIBER OFFER - 'The Black Swan' by Nassim Nicholas Taleb free!

Book Group Online has combined with the publishers Penguin to bring an exclusive offer to subscribers only. The FIRST TEN subscribers who reply to this thread will receive a free copy of the acclaimed hardback The Black Swan: The Impact Of The Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. All you have to do in return is read the book, and then discuss it with others in a specially created thread on Book Group Online. The book has a RRP of £20, which is double the cost of a BGO subscription!

This title is currently riding high in the non-fiction hardback charts, and has been acclaimed by critics (see the post after this one).

This will be done on a strict first come, first served basis - volunteer yourself by answering this thread, then let me know your name and address, either by clicking on Contact Us at the top of every page, or by sending me a Private Message. Then when I have the ten names, Penguin’s marketing department will send out the book.

This will hopefully be the first of many such offers, so don’t be too disappointed if you miss out this time.

And if you're not a subscriber, there may still be time if you act quickly. Just click here or go to the bottom of the front page and click on 'SUBSCRIBE OR DONATE TO BOOK GROUP ONLINE'. Since the book sells for £20, your subscription will already have paid for itself. However, if you do miss out this time, it's still worth subscribing, as - not only will you help us keep this site going, and get the chance to have your own avatar - but we are planning more 'Subscriber Only' offers in the near future.

Book Description

Elegant, startling, and universal in its applications, The Black Swan is a concept that will change the way you look at the world. Black Swans underlie almost everything, from the rise of religions, to events in our own personal lives. A Black Swan is a highly improbable event with three principal characteristics: it is unpredictable; it carries a massive impact; and, after the fact, we concoct an explanation that makes it appear less random and more predictable than it was. The astonishing success of Google was a black swan; so was 9/11. And why do we always ignore the phenomenon of Black Swans until after they occur? As Nassim Nicholas Taleb reveals, we are hard-wired not to truly estimate risk, too vulnerable to the impulse to simplify, narrate, and categorize and not open enough to rewarding those who can imagine the 'impossible'. In this revelatory book, Taleb explains everything we know about what we don't know, and shows us how to face the world.

Chris Anderson, Editor-in-Chief of Wired and author of The Long Tail

'Mindblowing ... A masterpiece'

Niall Ferguson, Sunday Telegraph

'An idiosyncratically brilliant new book'

Larry Elliot, Guardian

'A fascinating study of how we are regularly taken for suckers by the unexpected'

John Kay, Financial Times

'Like the conversation of raconteur ... hugely enjoyable - compelling ... Beware the Black Swan'

John Cornwell, Sunday Times

'The Black Swan confirms his status as a guru for every would-be Damien Hirst, George Soros and aspirant despot'

The Economist

'A deeply intelligent, provocative book ... Taleb succeeds in

bringing sceptical empiricism to the masses'

BusinessWeek

'A richly enjoyable read with an important message'

Time

'A provocative macro-trend tome in the tradition of The Wisdom of

Crowds and The Tipping Point'

I'm game, sounds good. I don't read enough non-fiction.

Now that the ten have been found shall we unstick this? It's getting a bit crowded at the top of the Central Library board.

Now that the ten have been found shall we unstick this? It's getting a bit crowded at the top of the Central Library board.

Seems like a good idea. I'll do that, and close it, too, now that we have the requisite number of participants. A PM to one of the moderators will get it stuck/open again if it is needed.

Perhaps, but I did want to give people a link to the book the lucky ten will be discussing, in case anyone else fancied joining in. Amazon are selling it for £8.02 off the RRP, but it can be bought for as little as £8.65 from Amazon Marketplace.

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=bookgrouponli-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=0713999950&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Perhaps, but I did want to give people a link to the book the lucky ten will be discussing, in case anyone else fancied joining in.

Absolutely fair enough, Bill. I wasn't sure if you had other intentions for the thread, such as publicity to visitors about some of the new initiatives, so that's why I asked.

I've re-stuck it.

It doesn't need to stay stuck, although I did want to tell the ten volunteers that Penguin tell me that they should receive the books either late this week or early next week.