Do you feel superior due to reading?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48, though of course they do lump things together - the other BBC list we have a thread on has the Harry Potters as separate entities, for instance.

Mind you, don't know why they have The Complete Works of Shakespeare then Hamlet on its own.

You can see the tallies for the other list, lostinfiction, here.

I'm all for eclectic lists, but, as has already been pointed out, this one is just incoherent and downright silly.

How can it include Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy but not Proust or Kafka?

Since when has a series of books, or a complete works, been a book??

I lost count somewhere, but I reckon I've read just under half of them.

There were three where I couldn't remember whether I'd read them or not: Winnie The Pooh and The Wind In The Willows (too far back in the mists of time) and The Color Purple (I may have just seen the film...)

It was an interesting reminder of books I've given up on, incl. The Bible (which is also a collection of books when all's said and done) and Les Misérables (of which I managed three books out of five before almost dying of boredom... I managed to read about the same amount of L'Homme Qui Rit, also by the interminable Victor Hugo...) I may give The Lord Of The Rings another go one of these days, but... well, so many books.

The only one on the list which I have sitting here totally unread is Dracula, which I'm looking forward to... evilgrin0025.gif

'Do you feel superior due to reading?'

Honestly, yes. I don't mean that I think I am a better person and that everyone else is a mere sheep, but I feel privileged that I can converse with intelligent people and not be proud of my ignorance or ashamed at the fact that I read more than some people.

61 for me - so a respectable total. And only 10 times the "national average" though loooking at the books on the list that doesn't make me feel superior, just sorry that so many people have missed out on some real treasures. The list is fairly mixed, but the majority of the books have a bestseller standing, and over a length of time - not flash in the pan number 1s. I think I came across this list somewhere else with a similar slating.

I've read 46 of these in part or in full.

I like having a peek at these lists, and voted many times in the "Big Read", but this one is rather shambolically put together. The Complete Works of Shakespeare and "Hamlet"? Narnia and "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe"? Since there are some series in there, does The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy entry only refer to the first book or the complete trilogy of five? Regardless of what one thinks of the value of lists like these, they should at least be internally logical surely?

I wonder if we should have a go at putting together a BGO list of essential reading?

I've read 58 and have quite a few of the others on my shelves waiting. I think that the reason that I've read a number of these is because there is so much overlap with the BBC's Big Read list from a few years back and I did attempt to read the top 100.

I too intend to read the Grapes of Wrath sometime.

Amazing book. Devastatingly powerful.

I wonder if we should have a go at putting together a BGO list of essential reading?

:yup:

I bet I could guess the number 1 book.

I'm always thrown when people ask me what my favourite book is. I couldn't guess what would come out top. What do you think it would be Hazel?

here's something that should make you feel superior about reading :P i found a list of the BBC's top 100 influential books or something like that, and they say that most ppl have only read 6! I went through the list and I've read 31 - still quite low but better than 6 I hope :o A few of my friends I surveyed had also read somewhere in the same amount. Anyway here's the page, http://infloox.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/the-bbc-says-youve-only-read-6-of-these-books/ - i wonder what the highest number on this board will be! ;)

Surprised to note I have read 46

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting question, I personally don't feel superior, I read because I enjoy it and I read and enjoy books which a lot of people turn their noses up at and I am afraid to say sometimes what I am reading because I think its not going to be considered worth talking about. I am not clever at all in fact in the intellectual stakes I would say I was pretty damn thick but on the other hand when I am at work (I take a book to read in my lunchbreak) I am surrounded by people who don't read and I am considered some kind of nerdy brain box because I choose to have my head in a book instead of discussing the latest topics of gossip. I don't feel superior to them when they say I've never read a book and don't want to or something along those lines because there are a hell of a lot of people out there who probably are more superior and well read than me having read more books and better books than what I will ever read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now until recently I didn't really get this thread. However, I have now started listening to audiobooks on my iPOD during my daily commute to and from work. Sometimes I do this instead of reading a book. When I don't have a book in my hand and only headphones in my ears I feel dumbed down. I want people to see I'm a reader!

As much as I'm enjoying my audiobook I sometimes reluntantly switch it off in preference of a real book - just because I think it makes me look better. Is that wrong?

I'm not sure I have explained myself too well but I've been thinking about this thread whenever I'm on the train. I've been writing this in my head for a while and still don't think I've been very eloquent :o