The Secret at Crickley Hall / The Ghosts of Sleath

You should try to get some of his early work, for example The Rats, Lair and Domain, these three form one of the most grisly scenarios in British horror. I really do feel that most of his early work far out performs his more recent offerings. Ones I would recommend are:- Once, The Magic Cottage, Fluke and Creed.

I have read Rats (which was fantastic) though I only got through half of lair due to school work getting inthe way..so by the time I'd poicked the book up again I'd forgotten half the story that I'd read before.

My favourite of his is The Dark. I dont think he's surpassed that.

I have The Secret Of Crickley Hall on my tbr. One of the guys I work with is reading The Rats at the moment, and he is enjoying it. I might try and get hold of that. I'd also like to read Fluke (that was one of James Herbert's wasn't it?) and I think I may have Nobody True lurking on one of my bookshelves somewhere.

Yes. Fluke was a James Herbert book (my Dad's nearly got the entire collection, Hence my love of his books heehee)

The Rats is very good book, quiet frightening at the fact it could really happen.

I have yet to read Haunted...I didn't know that Ghosts of sleath was a sequal..Ive been reading it as a stand alone book!

I do think some of his books are along the same lines...but he does usually bring in a strange twist or event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Secret at Crickley Hall is one i haven't read by him. I think i will have a look on Amazon and see if i can get a nicely priced copy. The threads in this catagory have rekindled a small desire in me to read something by him again (maybe because it takes me back to a good care free period of my life!). I'll read this one once i'm finished with the current large book i'm reading at the moment (completely different to Herbert mind!!). :D

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of Crickley Hall arrived yesterday!!! It is huge (600 pages).

I'm ready for it though since i have just finished my Sir Bobby Charlton book a couple of days ago. Looking at some of the reviews for Crickley Hall the general consensus is that this is Herbert's best work but some of the posts on here suggest otherwise. Only time will tell i guess ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found time to post again. I'm nearly finished with reading Crickley Hall and I can say I have certainly enjoyed reading the book. I wouldn't go as far to say that it is Herbert's best work as that place is still reserved as far as i'm concerned for "The Rats".

However the story is a good, classic horror which takes me back to the reading days of my youth so at least it scores highly in that repect as it brought back a few memories! I'll post a review once i'm done. ;)

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I haven't been on here in ages. I kind of got lost with all sorts of crazy things happening in my life and forums took the back seat. However looking over my posts I never actually posted the review of the book so here is my take on the "huge page count" book by James Herbert.

I really quite enjoyed "The Secret of Crickley Hall" since it was kind of like an old fashioned Twighlight Zone ghost story in some respects. You know the sort, an empty old grand house that has been left to rot due to lack of care due to a catastrophic happening, the circumstances of which have been put out to the realms where no-one dare talk about them. The local village community all have opinions about what happened but no one really knows for sure. Then after an age, a family takes the house on and then find that strange things start to happen and everyone except the father gets the feeling that the place is haunted by some very angry spirits.

Herbert gives a refreshing visit back to the typical haunted house type story and I found that I just wanted to keep on reading, not the best thing when you are reading at night before bed (the book is 600 pages long!!). The story has a tremendous atmospheric feel about it and Herbert intermingles all the past goings on of the house while leaving in a few cliff hangers as to what really happened to the people in its past. It certainly gets the old grey matter working overtime. This book essentially breaks down to being a good classic horror read so will appeal to most readers that like anything remotely ghostly. However for me Herbert’s best work will always be "The Rats" followed closely by "The Magic Cottage". Still, it was a damn good read.

• 11 months later...
This book essentially breaks down to being a good classic horror read so will appeal to most readers that like anything remotely ghostly. However for me Herbert’s best work will always be "The Rats" followed closely by "The Magic Cottage". Still, it was a damn good read.

The Magic Cottage is a great read; it really is a magical, idyllic and genuinely creepy book.

• 8 years later...