Sign in to follow this  
Toothbrush1984

The Picture of Dorian Gray

That might work really well. I didn't really enjoy the book because I felt it read more like a play than a novel so turning it into a film could work. The fact that I'm partial to Colin Firth has absolutely nothing to do with it... :o

That might work really well. I didn't really enjoy the book because I felt it read more like a play than a novel so turning it into a film could work.
Oscar Wilde was mainly a playwright, not an author of novels.
The fact that I'm partial to Colin Firth has absolutely nothing to do with it... :o
:D The other guy doesn't seem to be too bad, either. ;)

I love how in this book nearly everything everyone, especially Lord Henry, says is extremely witty or profound. Sure, it's not the most realistic dialogue, but it makes for a fantastic read.

They spent a lot of time having dinner in other peoples houses, at their own house with guests, sitting at the fire with drinks, recieving a drink, getting ready to go out to dinner, getting dressed for dinner in their own house, having dinner etc. But I like food so I'm not complaining. They don't describe the food though. And I thought Dorian hurting Sybil like that was horrifying. I know things like that do happen, broken hearts and all that but it was so shallow. But I suppose he had his come uppance.

I think it wouldn't be too far from the truth to say that Dorian is almost semi-autobiographical.

It's interesting that you make this observation, it's one that has occurred to me, on re-reading this. I wondered if I was reading a bit too much into it, but it did seem that in describing Dorian's self loathing (when confronted with the portrait's deterioration), Wilde was perhaps confronting his own. But that's possibly just my own pop psychology talking.

I have just finished it (for a book group I'm involved in) and I had forgotten just how good a wordsmith Wilde could be. Lord Henry was always one of my favourite characters, simply due to his cutting wit - and the fact that he has an answer for everything!

I am sure I have a biography of Wilde somewhere in my house (in amongst the huge piles of books to be read), so I suspect that may well feature in my reading this year.

of course, kats could argue that Wilde transposed himself partly into the characther of Dorian Gray and partly into Lord Henry (with his wit and an answer for everything)

personally, i enjoyed this book. really well written. great story.

Enjoyed this book, can't add any further insight/praise than already been posted.

Has anybody ever read his short stories? I've never seen a collected copy in secondhand shops but if they're out there I'd like to read them someday.

I finished this last night, it would have been sooner but turned to another couple of books in the midst of it. I enjoyed Dorian very much, especially the disintegration of the man through vanity and ego. I very much liked Lord Henry as a character, his pearls of wisdom and cynical, biting look at life. He is as responsible for Dorian's downfall as much as Dorian's monstrous vanity and ego, which really comes about because of the portrait being done in the first instance. The overwhelming feeling I got from Dorian, towards the end, was boredom. He just grew savagely bored of life and I think that more than anything resulted in the event at the end. Youth and beauty will only take you so far, get you what you want for a short period of time, before you need more substance in your life. I think that's a good lesson for us all. Especially those botox-loving, plastic surgery addicts who don't really need a portrait in the attic showing their uglier souls...they look uglier by the light of day.

Especially those botox-loving, plastic surgery addicts who don't really need a portrait in the attic showing their uglier souls...they look uglier by the light of day.

:D:D

Read the first few pages of this book this morning having finally decided to give it a try. From the first few pages I suspect that it will be a worth while read. It is not difficult to read and although it will probably take a little concentration I doubt it is going to be a slog in any way as fiction from this time can sometimes be. I am a big fan of "the classics" and feel already that I am going to enjoy this. I look forward to reading the comments of others when I come to the end of the book.

I didn't enjoy it. It's not that the prose isn't descriptive, it's just that I couldn't settle into it as a novel. I always had the feeling that I should be watching it on a stage as it felt like I was reading a script.

I agree with you.I liked the novel, don't get me wrong.

But I remember it being hyper-bloated of 'sensational one-liners'.

I have no idea why I have never read this book before. I am getting on for half way through and am really enjoying it. It is well written, just as I suspected it would be, and surprisingly easy to read. I cannot decide yet whether it is going to be a comedy or a tragedy but it is certainly amusing in places and I suspect that the reader is not supposed to take it too seriously. The three main characters are very well drawn and altough in many ways not always likeable I cannot help but being drawn to all three.

I have not seen the film so although I had a rough idea of the main concept of the book knew nothing much of the detail of the story before starting so do not feel as if anything has been spoiled for me by knowing the outcome. I feel as if this is an intriguing and entertaining book to read rather than one that is going to move me greatly. A nice change for me.

I am getting on for about two thirds of the way through this book and it has finally dawned on me that I am reading a Gothic novel! It has many of the obvious signs of the Gothic so I cannot believe that it has taken me so long to fall in!

I finished this book this morning, having raced to the end, and have read the comments of other readers. I would have to agree that the way in which the book is written, the language used and beautiful descriptions made, the book was always going to be a well worth while read for me. Add to that three very different but absorbing characters and a bit of the unknown and I was always going to be hooked.

Although as I have suggested in one of my last posts, the book is both entertaining and intriguing and although it is both amusing and tragic in places it is neither a comedy nor a tragedy! Having said all that the story does have its' darker and more meaningful side. As other readers have suggested, Dorian's treatment of Sybil Vain was quite awful and the saying that" beauty is only skin deep" was never truer. No matter how lovely a person may look if it is not supported by a kind and loving heart the beauty will always be flawed. As Hazel has said, a lesson to us all!

The main joys of this book are the three main characters and their development throughout the book and the wonderful descriptive language used. Although the concept behind the story is very clever the plot is actually quite basic. I would have to agree that the one stage of the book I found a little hard work were the descriptions of his interests and travels. Maybe descriptive language can go a little too far?!

RG has ordered the film version of the book for me and look forward to watching it.

A brilliant read from Wilde.  I hope you got the film version with Hurd Hatfield and George Sanders, as it's been remade (usually badly) multi-times.  The worst one was a telemovie in which Dorian as a bitchy actress, and it was a screen test  that aged.  Trivia:  the film wrecked Hatfield's career - after it he usually had cameo spots in epics.  I agree that the concept is clever and the plot is basic and moralistic but then the simplest things are the best.  No need to overload a good story line with an array of sub-plots.  As for the intense descriptions, it was pretty well much the style of the time.  Did you enjoy the film?