Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

A Postillion Struck By Lightning

This, the first of Dirk Bogarde's six volumes of autobiography was published originally in 1977, and traces the first steps of a young actor who went on to achieve worldwide acclaim.

It details not only his early stage experiences, but also some evocative scenes from his childhood in Sussex, where his family lived in a cottage in the South Downs. Later came a technical college in Glasgow, an apprenticeship in printing, an art education at Chelsea, and finally a scholarship to the Old Vic - just as war broke out.

I have only read the first three of these memoirs, and found that this one was the most enjoyable. The Hollywood years, related in later volumes, reek a bit of 'name-dropping'.

I'd quite like to read the post-Hollywood volumes at some point, as he is an excellent writer.

(also novelist and painter!)

I have this but have never got around to reading it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that these memoirs are not wholly reliable. Not sure where or whether that is in fact the case.

Memoires can never be totally reliable by their very nature as they rely on memories to flesh out recorded events and memories are fallible. Think False Memory syndrome. People over 50, and most memoire writers are, are especially prone to reshaping their memories and really believing that's what genuinesly happened. (I've become much more tolerant of my 90 year old, sharp-as-a-bell, but story embroiderer mother since Ilearnt that snippet!)

I read A Postillion Struck By Lightning years ago and loved it, it gives such a vivid picture of what life was like before the war.